Liam Millar

Northvansteve

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Its attack against defence practice for about 95% of what I have seen.  You need some pace with legs to at least given some danger of a counter attack. 

Especially considering Fiorentina is the better team, you’d think that Basel would be a lot savvier with their subs and try and create a mismatch. 

Basel just calls on another attacker, so I think unfortunately we won’t be seeing Liam Millar today.

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Especially considering Fiorentina is the better team, you’d think that Basel would be a lot savvier with their subs and try and create a mismatch. 

Basel just calls on another attacker, so I think unfortunately we won’t be seeing Liam Millar today.

Interesting one.  Its an extra sub (and window) not sure if that means he gets 4 windows.  

Apparently all moot at the moment. 

I’m sorry that’s an absolute shocker for Liam not to come on in that game. Came in the in the other semi final and changed the game.  (We losing 1-0 and finished 2-1) sorry that’s the truth… Basel looked tired and sluggish needed to use their changes only used 3 of 6 total. Fiorentina sub scored the  winner… 

Edited by spitfire

8 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Seems to be starting at left back in the league today, joining Laryea, Davies, Buchanan, Hoilett and potentially Sigur in the list of Canadian wingers and mids turned into fullbacks. 

I am not sure how i feel about this. I think he gets more minutes for canada if hes a winger instead of full back.

We do seem to moving away from taditional wingers though so his versatility as a wing back is for sure beneficial for CMNT. 

I thought this season was going to be his breakout/coming to age as a player. 
Sadly it's been the opposite. 

image.png.fd8c6cc6efd662b5abf0fe92214d9ae0.png

His only goal this season has come against a Northern Ireland Football league team in July 22. 
He's no leftback.... and probably needs a move this summer to get into a better environment to present himself better.

Edited by Shway

Zero goals in 25 games and 15 starts this year in the Swiss League.  Zero goals all time with Canada.

Surprising stats given all the talent he has.  When he was at Liverpool the most remarkable tool I thought he had was his shooting.  Lots of top corner lasers.  

I'm still hoping he gets lots of time with Canada this summer, perhaps as a starter at the Gold Cup to show what he can do with real minutes.  

When Millar was at Liverpool he was playing as a 9. Then he got shifted to a wide forward at some point (beginning of the Charlton loan?) which was a good fit for him. Now he's being shifted to a wing back. He's getting further away from the goal, which is a shame because clearly he knows how to play as a 9 considering his past. I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do in a two-man striker partnership for Canada, possibly at the Gold Cup. Seems like the 3rd spot in the depth chart is wide open after David and Larin. We have also seen Buchanan play up front for us in a two, a couple times late in a game. Same with Davies. If both of those guys have gotten spins up top, maybe Liam could as well? We have tremendous depth on the flanks already. Not saying he should permanently be a 9, just saying I would be curious to see it. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I thought this season was going to be his breakout/coming to age as a player. 
Sadly it's been the opposite. 

image.png.fd8c6cc6efd662b5abf0fe92214d9ae0.png

His only goal this season has come against a Northern Ireland Football league team in July 22. 
He's no leftback.... and probably needs a move this summer to get into a better environment to present himself better.

I would agree he hasn't had a great club season, but has played most of the season out of position, had a coaching change and an injury. But needs a move to for sure.

I would suggest that he's not the only one to Not have a great club season. Tajon had a real great WC but has had a pretty uneventful club year with a about the same league starts(22) as Millar and has about the same goals/ time ratio. (Tajon 2.300, Millar 2.425. Tajon has only 1 goal and 6 assists in all comps. Millar has 1 goal 4 assists.

Tajon has been moved around too, left and right wb, mid and winger...But Inter are meant to be looking to sign him.

Perspective is important I guess.

Would love to see Millar get some minutes in his favoured position somehwere in the front three for Canada and see what happens this summer... 

IMG_9612.PNG

8 hours ago, Macktruck said:

I would agree he hasn't had a great club season, but has played most of the season out of position, had a coaching change and an injury. But needs a move to for sure.

I would suggest that he's not the only one to Not have a great club season. Tajon had a real great WC but has had a pretty uneventful club year with a about the same league starts(22) as Millar and has about the same goals/ time ratio. (Tajon 2.300, Millar 2.425. Tajon has only 1 goal and 6 assists in all comps. Millar has 1 goal 4 assists.

Tajon has been moved around too, left and right wb, mid and winger...But Inter are meant to be looking to sign him.

Would love to see Millar get some minutes in his favoured position somehwere in the front three for Canada and see what happens this summer... 

IMG_9612.PNG

You don't want to look at Davies' stats as an attacking back.

8 hours ago, Macktruck said:

IMG_9612.PNG

Perspective is very important. Great seasonal comparison.

But I think overall it doesn’t make sense as these two aren’t comparable for various of reasons.

- Tajon has already had his breakout season whether in MLS, or in his half first season with Brugge.  
- Liam has been playing in the inferior leagues
- Tajon is a key piece to the national team.

I think if you are looking for a relative comparative analysis you would have to mention guys like Corbeanu, Ugbo, Brym, Shafelburg, Nelson. 

Because perspective is also saying we’re not going to compare Hoilett to Davies season. 

Like @Obinna said I hope we see him in his natural attacking state with Canada at the GC. I think he should be playing with a chip on his shoulders/point to prove this summer and I think he’ll be given that chance. 

Truth is they gutted the team to make money and left it under-competitive the entire season. They sort of decided not to win anything this year, it's like they threw it. Then they pushed through in Conference but that's all, half a dozen decent matches.

For me, having seen him quite a bit, he's missing a bit of nastiness or bite. Especially in attack. To make a full transition to pro competition. He's disciplined, does what he's asked, works hard. But rarely plays out of his assigned role and rarely surprises. 

You don't actually have to have a chip on your shoulder to play like you do.

Then, if he goes into a third season at Basel, he's a bit of a veteran, you have to take leadership by that point.

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

Starts the last game of the season on the bench… needs A move this summer…

He got more playing time this year because of a deep Swiss Cup run and a deep Europa Conference League run.

Thankfully Basel just scored because without a win today, there is no Europa Conference League for the next season.

That 5th place is key.

Came in after 66 mins was 1-0 when he came on finished 3-1

Did so well had 3 shots and imho changed the game made the pitch twice as wide (instead of just nydoyes side) and caused real problems 

had an assist called back for offside… 

that’s all I ask him come in make an impact do what u can. Which he did…