Liam Millar

Northvansteve

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I don't have any ground-breaking insight other than they just look like a selling club.  Ajeti to us and Elyounoussi to Southampton were the two I was aware of before Millar got there. Cabral and Zhegrova were sold for decent profits after relatively short stints.   No big investments in return.

They've always been a selling club and a plethora of elite to world quality talent as developed there, none bigger perhaps than Mo Salah, but maybe it's the investment that's been failing? I don't know their history enough to say for sure though.

And the fact they are still moving players on for good profits perhaps suggests their investments are paying off, literally. 

Hopefully Millar is one of those in the next few years, and I would really like to see him win some trophies before his next challenge. 

3 hours ago, costarg said:

Garber looking at this thinking "the horror!"

I don't know how MLS doesn't look at this and see the marketing potential.  The tickets would sell themselves.  But at the risk of losing families i guess.

I like chaos and mayhem in the football grounds but i think its reasonable to call this a hazard. Flares are cool but it's probably understandable why they wouldn't be on side with a giant pyro show. I was actually surprised that Copa do Brasil final was halted because just a couple flares. You wanna be wild, sneak it in and rebel out. That's a lot cooler than a league coordinated Pyro show anyways

2-2 draw means Basel are second in their Conference League group because of the tie-breaker. 

If they don't lose to Pyunik away next week, they will be through to the knockouts. 

First place would be nice as you skip the Europa League drop-downs, to do that they need to better Bratislava's result.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Crazy 2nd half …Basel had a pen saved then scored like 3 mins later  to make it 2-1  then a clear pen not called(Males gets booked for dissent but no VAR review) the a very dodgy red card under var review…then YB score a 3rd in stoppage…

Though Liam had a great 2nd.  Really had the RB on the run put in some really good crosses that no one was on the end of… really back to his old self running at players with a bit of edge to his game (a dodgy non yellow too) getting on the ball and making shit happen ..think they made the wrong change in the end took off Liam Males and Nydoye who were all a real threat 2nd half(at once)

good to see him hitting personal form* yes still needs more goal involvements 

FC Basel wins 1-2 tonight, advancing them to the knockouts of the Europa Conference League.

Unfortunately Slovan Bratislava got the same result, keeping Basel in second place in the group.  It means Millar and teammates will face a Europa League drop down team in the next round.  First place skips that step. 

17 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Don’t know if they do finish 2nd… by this it says goals scored is the tie breaker …

68DC002E-5C80-4AB5-BB0B-4342065F45E1.jpeg

I believe its head to head first. 

Edit:

"If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine their rankings:

1. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;..."

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

7 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

So yeah, a loss and a draw against Bratislava means they have to face the Europa League teams next.  Lazio, and Roma at the moment, look the worst of them. 

Roma won today against Ludogorets, therefore passing them by 3 points.  Before today, I believe Ludogorets had the tie breaker between the two of them.  Braga might be the next best club demoted to Conference League besides Lazio based on current form.