Liam Millar

Northvansteve

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

As I mentioned in the other thread, he appears to have lost his starting spot

Would be hard for manager to keep him in starting lineup with 0 goals and 1 assist in 620 minutes (Swiss league + Conference league).

not necessarily surprised that Basel are struggling this year without Cabral’s absolutely insane contributions from last year. 

still think Millar is a very borderline player for Qatar (as I mentioned pages back and got piled on for). That being said with 26 players and no one really totally usurping him yet, probably more likely that he’s in than out.

6 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Would be hard for manager to keep him in starting lineup with 0 goals and 1 assist in 620 minutes (Swiss league + Conference league).

not necessarily surprised that Basel are struggling this year without Cabral’s absolutely insane contributions from last year. 

still think Millar is a very borderline player for Qatar (as I mentioned pages back and got piled on for). That being said with 26 players and no one really totally usurping him yet, probably more likely that he’s in than out.

Not a great start to the season for sure. However, at least FC Basel is in good position for Europa League, despite the less-than-impressive results vs Slovan Bratislava. I think there's still time for Millar to regain form. 

12 minutes ago, Floortom said:

He has 1 goal and 2 assists in 620 mins (1 goal and 1 assist in Europa conference league..) but yeah I get it he needs to do more … if he was the only on one struggling sure no one really is hitting the mark for Basel atm … none of the wingers are producing. 

Edited by spitfire

Whenever I watch Basel I’m not impressed by Pelmard who plays behind Millar. His passing always seems sloppy or slow which forces Millar to slow down and he ends up being closed down quickly. Maybe I’m a little bias but lots of Millars runs aren’t seen or the quality of pass isn’t there. 

40 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

However, if the 26th spot is between Millar and Corbeanu, at this point you have to go with Theo.

Theo hasn’t scored in over a month and isn’t always starting for a team near the bottom of the Championship.  Liam has a few years of experience over Theo and a better overall game.  Theo may have better future potential but Qatar is in a month and Liam is clear of Theo at the moment.

50 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Theo hasn’t scored in over a month and isn’t always starting for a team near the bottom of the Championship.  Liam has a few years of experience over Theo and a better overall game.  Theo may have better future potential but Qatar is in a month and Liam is clear of Theo at the moment.

Experience is relative for these guys. They haven’t played in any “big” games to say he’s been there and experienced this.

Theo has 2 goals 0 assist in 168 minutes for Canada.
Liam has 0 goals 2 assists in 708 minutes for Canada.

Theo has an EPL appearance, League 1 experience, and is currently playing in the Championship (England 2Div)

50 apps, 6 goals, 4 assists 

Liam has SPL, and League 1 experience and is currently playing in the Swiss League.

128 apps, 16 goals, 17 assists

This will be decided on form, regardless of level or experience.

49 minutes ago, Shway said:

Experience is relative for these guys. They haven’t played in any “big” games to say he’s been there and experienced this.

Theo has an EPL appearance, League 1 experience, and is currently playing in the Championship (England 2Div)

Liam has SPL, and League 1 experience and is currently playing in the Swiss League.

Good post. I tend to agree with you when you break it down that way. However, I have the gut feeling that when push comes to shove Herdman will go with the guy more comfortable in the Canadian setup. That's where experience with Canada comes into play, and Millar has more experience, so I think he has the inside track if Herdman picks the team today.

However, if Theo re-discovers his goal scoring form and Millar (and Basel) continues to struggle, then it's advantage Corbeanu. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Lets be fair, 8mins is a meagre Premier League experience for Corbeanu (who I really like)

But if its one or the other, think of what you want from a 3/4th choice winger for Canada against the teams we are facing.

First Millar played some signifcant minutes in important away qualifying games. El Salvador, Costa Rica and Jamaica. 

Second, he plays the defensive side of the wing better at this point.  Something we certainly will need against all the teams but certainly say we get a lead against Morocco and are trying to hold it with the fullbacks they have. 

Corbeanu can be a liability on defence, he has lost the ball and set up counters this year.  He is a very exciting player and a fan favourite a lot of the time but has only played 90 minutes twice, I think because of that. That and his lack of a good cross. 

Millar has pace for the press and a willingness to run, bringing him on late in any kind of favourable situation makes a lot more sense for me.  

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They're the reigning champion of Switzerland.

These teams seem too eager to offload players for benefit and lack roster continuity.

I guess that’s the pains of being a mid tier league power. Where Zurich is this season may not be far off from where CF Montreal ends up next year.

Happy Liam is back in the starting line up and playing well now ahead of Qatar, but general question I want to ask:

What the hell is going on with Basel?

Not just this season, or last season, but the last four or five seasons? I remember when this club was regualry in the Champions League, threatening to get out of the group, and dominating Switzerland the way Bayern dominates Germany, or the way PSG dominates France. From 2003-04 to 2016-17 they won the title a remarkable 11 times, only losing on 3 occassions (to Zurich). Since then they haven't won a single league title. That's a big fall off. 

From 2017-18 to present, they finished runner-up in 4 of the last 5 seasons, and the time they didn't they finished 3rd, so that suggests they've been very close, but now this season they've struggled mightily and have finally pulled themselves back up to 6th. They haven't slipped to 6th, they've clawed their way back up there. This club has way too much reputation and history to be languishing in the middle of the table. 

I know there are ebbs and flows when it comes to this stuff, but I am concerned about how there season is going. I can accept if they finish runner-up or even 3rd, but lower than that is really unacceptable and I am sure the fans would agree (which I am not one, just a fan of Laim who wants to see him win trophies).

Is there something obvious to explain this fall off from FC Basel? Just curious. Thanks!

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

Happy Liam is back in the starting line up and playing well now ahead of Qatar, but general question I want to ask:

What the hell is going on with Basel?

Not just this season, or last season, but the last four or five seasons? I remember when this club was regualry in the Champions League, threatening to get out of the group, and dominating Switzerland the way Bayern dominates Germany, or the way PSG dominates France. From 2003-04 to 2016-17 they won the title a remarkable 11 times, only losing on 3 occassions (to Zurich). Since then they haven't won a single league title. That's a big fall off. 

From 2017-18 to present, they finished runner-up in 4 of the last 5 seasons, and the time they didn't they finished 3rd, so that suggests they've been very close, but now this season they've struggled mightily and have finally pulled themselves back up to 6th. They haven't slipped to 6th, they've clawed their way back up there. This club has way too much reputation and history to be languishing in the middle of the table. 

I know there are ebbs and flows when it comes to this stuff, but I am concerned about how there season is going. I can accept if they finish runner-up or even 3rd, but lower than that is really unacceptable and I am sure the fans would agree (which I am not one, just a fan of Laim who wants to see him win trophies).

Is there something obvious to explain this fall off from FC Basel? Just curious. Thanks!

I don't have any ground-breaking insight other than they just look like a selling club.  Ajeti to us and Elyounoussi to Southampton were the two I was aware of before Millar got there. Cabral and Zhegrova were sold for decent profits after relatively short stints.   No big investments in return.