Milan Borjan

Vince193

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

I am intrigued by McGill and like his inclusion in the squad but until he actually starts getting reps as a premier league backup (or championship loan) he likely doesn't play for us.

It doesn't look like McGill has even played a single game in years??? It's wild. 

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I mean at some point we'l' have to go through GK growing pains. Might as well be now with no WCQ on the horizon.

I'm not sure how that makes sense. we introduce new players regularly and if they are good enough, they play. Kone, kennedy cornelius etc. Why would a GK be any different? If no one is better than borjan than he should play. If someone is better than borjan then wouldnt the pains of an inferior GK be worse than growing pains? 

Just an example, Noppert made his debut for holland in the WC after barely playing for long in the first division for heereveen. He was the best option and the "growing pains" were negligible compared to going with a weaker GK. 

I hope it plays out like this: Borjan plays at the Concacaf Nations League as our starter. He skips Gold Cup to sort out new club etc

We call in Sirois, McGill, St Clair and they shine. 

Mcgill is loaned to a championship team OR plays all cup matches and Sirois keeps progressing and then more young guys come on board. By the time next summer's big matches are on Borjan is 3rd string. He will be brought along because he is part of the brotherhood, but he is slowly phased out. This HAS got to happen. I like Henry, Hutchinson, Borjan etc but their time is up. The old vets will now be Osorio and Cavallini and Vitoria.

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

I don't know if any of Crépeau, St. Clair and Sirois would've singlehandedly been at fault for a loss like Borjan against Morocco. He might have higher highs like during the WCQ campaign but his lows are LOW and reactions don't get better with age. I think the younger keepers should feel pretty motivated to have a good showing at the Gold Cup since the #1 spot should be up for grabs after the NL.

No loss is ever single-handed. And we were not playing for anything anyways so you can't talk about critical mistakes in totally non-critical games. 

Haiti, two Gold Cups ago. We crucified Godinho but Borjan is hesistant to take a step forward, or block with his body, and shared that blunder. But it was still only the Haiti first goal and we were still up 2-1.

Neither Borjan nor Crepeau made any critical mistakes during qualifying. 

Borjan was fine vs. Belgium, our CBs let us down. 

Vs. Croatia you had the feeling he should have gotten to something, but the problem was a naive midfield after going up 1, then tied 1-1, we just decided to stay innocent vs one of the best midfields in the world.

Summary: Haiti loss, Croatia loss, both really badly coached games from John Herdman. If we are talking about getting rid of error prone members of the team, look at the coach.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No loss is ever single-handed. And we were not playing for anything anyways so you can't talk about critical mistakes in totally non-critical games. 

Summary: Haiti loss, Croatia loss, both really badly coached games from John Herdman. If we are talking about getting rid of error prone members of the team, look at the coach.

I think getting the country's first point(s) at the World Cup is pretty critical. Would've been a top 5 moment in Canada Men's Soccer history.

Now that we've had Cornelius start off very well at Malmo and had 3 centre backs come out of the woodwork in MLS it seems like our weakest position is in net. Past this summer I'd be disappointed if Borjan's the starter as it'd be a less extreme version of calling up Henry. Hopefully one of the MLS keepers finds a new level for the second half of the season.

Edited by sebdeserio

3 hours ago, Boominbooty said:

I hope it plays out like this: Borjan plays at the Concacaf Nations League as our starter. He skips Gold Cup to sort out new club etc

We call in Sirois, McGill, St Clair and they shine. 

Mcgill is loaned to a championship team OR plays all cup matches and Sirois keeps progressing and then more young guys come on board. By the time next summer's big matches are on Borjan is 3rd string. He will be brought along because he is part of the brotherhood, but he is slowly phased out. This HAS got to happen. I like Henry, Hutchinson, Borjan etc but their time is up. The old vets will now be Osorio and Cavallini and Vitoria.

Cav and Vitoria could easily be phased out. Vitoria is 36. I wouldnt be surprised if he reitres after the GC/NL. 

Cav is 30. If we sign jebbo, ugbo finds any sort of form, brym continues his form, JRR/cambridge/kerr/ayo develop within the next 4 years and Cav could easily become our 6-8 string ST.

Currently he could debatably be 6 string even. I get that 3-6 is debatable though.
1. David
2. Larin
3. Jebbo
4. Ugbo
5. Brym
6. Cav 

HAHA, if IFS and BUTS were candy and nuts we would all have a lovely x-mas.  Unless I missed something Jebbo isnt on board yet, Ugbo has done nothing in a Canada shirt and Brym is a pet project of Herdman that hasnt panned out yet and he is almost 25.  I wouldnt throw the towel in on Cav just yet.  Until some of these "hope so" things happen doesnt he still have to be the 3-4th striker, ie first man of the bench if we are behind?? 

I can see Borjan sitting out the gold cup, or at least taking a back seat and letting Stclair and or Mcgill have a game or two at the start of the tourney.  

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

Cav and Vitoria could easily be phased out. Vitoria is 36. I wouldnt be surprised if he reitres after the GC/NL. 

Cav is 30. If we sign jebbo, ugbo finds any sort of form, brym continues his form, JRR/cambridge/kerr/ayo develop within the next 4 years and Cav could easily become our 6-8 string ST.

Currently he could debatably be 6 string even. I get that 3-6 is debatable though.
1. David
2. Larin
3. Jebbo
4. Ugbo
5. Brym
6. Cav 

“Easily” is doing a lot of work here after a whole lot of “ifs” 

44 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

HAHA, if IFS and BUTS were candy and nuts we would all have a lovely x-mas.  Unless I missed something Jebbo isnt on board yet, Ugbo has done nothing in a Canada shirt and Brym is a pet project of Herdman that hasnt panned out yet and he is almost 25.  I wouldnt throw the towel in on Cav just yet.  Until some of these "hope so" things happen doesnt he still have to be the 3-4th striker, ie first man of the bench if we are behind?? 

I can see Borjan sitting out the gold cup, or at least taking a back seat and letting Stclair and or Mcgill have a game or two at the start of the tourney.  

I get your point but the low probability IF's were not even included on my list. 
Right now he is 3/4. Ugbo is the better player but has bad form. Cav has some loyalty points. 

The liklihood Jebbison commits is fairly high... Its just a waiting game.

Bryms "IF" is if he continues playing the way he is. Using that logic, its a big IF for Cav to continue playing at the level hes at... you could argue that Cav should actually step up his game. (Also it doenst matter if brym is a pet project or not. He still could be above Cav in the depth charts in herdmans eyes). 

Our prospects "IFs" are also pretty low. Cav at 34 will likely have regressed a bunch as his physicality drops off. We currently have at least 4 young prospects playing MLS. Cav didnt set the MLS on fire. Our prospects are closer in conversation to cav than cav is to larin or david. With 4 more years of development, they are likely to pass him.

The opposite argument has much bigger "IFS"

Cav will remain 4th choice, IF no youngsters develop, IF we dont sign any duals, IF he can maintain and even increase his quality at the age of 34, IF his body can hold out etc. 

11 minutes ago, king1010 said:

“Easily” is doing a lot of work here after a whole lot of “ifs” 

I just have a hard time seeing a 34 year old Cav not getting past. We only had vitoria and hutch as outfield players who were over 34. Ones a legend and one is in our position of 0 depth. Its not like Cav is on any upswing in quality. Hes only going to get worse as his physical traits leave him. He could arguably be dropped from current squads, let alone squads in 4 years (arguably is the key word).

13 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

He was the starter for Brighton’s developmental team.

That's not how we talk about McGill on this forum sir. The general consensus is that he's a fake prospect who Brighton keeps around for sentimental reasons and never plays because he must naturally suck if he isn't getting PL starts at 23.

Back to being serious - this move means that Borjan is definitely not coming to the GC so hopefully we get to see some GK rotation between St. Clair, McGill and Sirois.

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

Why are we talking about 4 years from now when

1. The World Cup is in 3 years.

2. More importantly, we are in a semi final TODAY.

1. Its a rounding game when talking about Cavs age. He will be 33.7 or something at the next world cup. For simplistic reasons its easier to say 4 years to imply he will be 34 as saying 3 years will imply hes 33. Specificity and technicalitys can sometime gets lost for a lazy writer like myself. 

2. We need more content to deal with the nerves and excitement. I'd rather talk about the CMNT in 4 years than have silence. How much can we talk about the game tonight before we are just spinning our wheels.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, eramosat said:

I see zero need to push out Borjan as the starter in any important CANMNT start.

He's still a better keeper that St Clair I think. Has more leadership too. In m 114 of quarters vs the US he would have fallen suddenly ill to dengue or Vasovagal syncope and Herdman would have used the break to properly hydrate Brym.