Milan Borjan

Vince193

They won away in Mostar, 0-1, in the first leg of the qualifier. 

With Borjan's long history of antagonism towards Croats, I wonder how that went with the local fans. Zrinjski Mostar was founded as the Croatian football club of Mostar, though it is in Bosnia-H and plays in that league. The club colours are the Croatian flag. 

Mostar was laid siege to, bombed like hell and stayed divided on either side of the river for many years during the war.

Oddly, a friend who was there recently (she's Bosnian but partially Croatian) told me an Israeli conglomerate has invested heavily in Mostar and sponsors the football team, has industry there, a high presence everywhere. So just another twist to the cultural complexity.

At the end of the match, he told N1: "A good match from both sides. Zrinjski was a little better. He attacked more. We were more specific, had a chance and scored a goal. We didn't concede it, which is the most important thing, and now we're going to prepare for reciprocation. There were no provocations. I didn't hear anything, everything was correct. Hats off to the gentlemen, and I have nothing to say. Congratulations for the cheering and for the whole match."

This was part of Borjan's post game interview.

4 hours ago, to70 said:

At the end of the match, he told N1: "A good match from both sides. Zrinjski was a little better. He attacked more. We were more specific, had a chance and scored a goal. We didn't concede it, which is the most important thing, and now we're going to prepare for reciprocation. There were no provocations. I didn't hear anything, everything was correct. Hats off to the gentlemen, and I have nothing to say. Congratulations for the cheering and for the whole match."

This was part of Borjan's post game interview.

If Borjan understands who is he playing for and does not bring his personal battles and obsessions into club or country, he and we are better for it.

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

Maccabi Haifa confirmed as their next opponent 

They keep getting reasonably accessible opponents, they have been seeded every round and this one too. I am not saying they are clearly better, but at least they are not getting killer rivals.

They were the third highest ranked team entering in the first qualifying round, Maccabi Haifa was the 8th. Haifa actually played today, after the draw was made. 

If Slovan goes through they have one more round to win to get to the group stage, where PSV, Rangers, Marseille could await. If they lose, they go to the last Europa league round.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Further to the above. If Slovan lose their next round, they will face the loser of Raków Czestochowa (POL) / Aris Limassol FC (CYP) in the last round of Europa League Qualifying.

What if Slovan beat Haifa and lose to Young Boys?  Haifa will be difficult as well but I do not see Slovan beating Young Boys if they get by Haifa.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2023 at 8:34 AM, narduch said:

Believe they go into Europa League group stage.

If they lose to Haifa they get nothing 

I believe if they lose to Haifa (looking likely, 4-1 aggregate at half) they will be in a  Europa League playoff against the loser of Raków Częstochowa and Aris Limassol.  Winner of that is in the Europa League, loser Conference League.

Edit: Sorry misunderstood I guess and see above.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else get a sour taste from Borjan  getting mad at Herdman for not playing the 3rd game of the Gold Cup and then leaving the team out of frustration? The dude played two games out of three before he left! What lack of playing time?

I'm sorry man but you are 36 now playing in a worse league than you were before, and at the World Cup you were one of the worst keepers there. Thank you for everything, but it is time to move on.

Read the room dude. St. Clair, Crepeau, Sirois are all much younger and are all playing in better leagues than you are.

That's football. Leave with grace.

edit: This news is from this morning's The Athletic article

Edited by VinceA

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Anyone else get a sour taste from Borjan  getting mad at Herdman for not playing the 3rd game of the Gold Cup and then leaving the team out of frustration? The dude played two games out of three before he left! What lack of playing time?

I'm sorry man but you are 36 now playing in a worse league than you were before, and at the World Cup you were one of the worst keepers there. Thank you for everything, but it is time to move on.

Read the room dude. St. Clair, Crepeau, Sirois are all much younger and are all playing in better leagues than you are.

Where was that reported? I thought he left camp to go train at Bratislava.

Just now, VinceA said:

For me it's just Borjan doing Borjan things. I am not surprised or upset really. His season was starting up very soon iirc so what did he gain by staying there if he wasn't going to be playing? I understand it. Would it have been nice for a team morale if he stayed? Maybe. The guys probably understand it.

Either way, I am not losing sleep over it. Borjan is in his twilight with the NT and club. He may have another few seasons in him at most. 

4 minutes ago, VinceA said:

In this morning's Athletic article. Borjan left camp because he was frustrated not starting the Cuba game.

Just read it. I wonder if Herdman sold him on playing the Gold Cup under the guise that he'd play every game, then made a U turn that pissed Borjan off. With the point about Davies being pissed at not having a clear role, that might line up.

9 minutes ago, VinceA said:

In this morning's Athletic article. Borjan left camp because he was frustrated not starting the Cuba game.

Good to know. Thanks for that. 

I feel it would be a bigger deal if St. Clair did that. Worrying about what Borjan does seems like a waste of time. He's already at the end of the line. He's been a great keeper for us over his 77 caps and we may not have even been in the World Cup without him, so I give him the upmost thanks and respect for his service to the team.

If we get anymore from him it's a bonus. 

8 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

Honestly, if that report is accurate, Borjan should not be on the team going forward.

I disagree with this. 

Again, let's talk about the context here. Milan was joining a new club and games were coming up fast. What would him and Canada gain by him sitting on the bench?

Keep in mind I haven't read the report. If he stormed out of camp upset, then yes I would agree that's not good and potentially something to consider when it's time to bring the group back together, but if it was just a matter of him calmly choosing to leave the camp because he wasn't playing, then whatever.

It gave St. Clair game time so it was a good thing anyways. 

6 minutes ago, RJB said:

I don't have the athletic so I haven't read it, but it's interesting that it's been said above that Davies didn't have a clear role, and Borjan was annoyed.  Perhaps Herdman was losing the room more than we acknowledge and jumped before the mutiny. 

I think all the Gold Cup no shows is fairly good proof of this.