Scott Arfield

40 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

In watching the past few games of Scotty playing for Burnley, I noticed he's deployed as a RM or LM, but he cuts into the middle before the offensive third and holds and distributes the ball nicely. With that style of play, I think he would be best suited playing in the middle for us.  I love everything about De Guzman, but I think with the addition of Arfield, signifies his time in the middle field should be cut short.  

I know Floro wouldn't deploy this format, but I believe if we truly are going to try to get 3pts from these games, this would be the best way to utilize our talent for a win at home. Press them hard, and then bunker to our 5-5-0 formation.

For the game in Vancouver:

------------------------------Larin---------------------------------
Hoilett----------------------------------------------------Akindele

-------------------------------Arfield-------------------------------
--------------Hutchinson---------------Johnson-----------------

De Jong------------Edgar---------Vitoria-----------Ledgerwood

-------------------------------Borjan-------------------------------

For the game in Mexico:

--------------------------------Larin---------------------------------

Hoilett---------De Guzman---------Johnson---------------Arfield

------------------------------Hutchinson---------------------------

De Jong------------Edgar---------Jackovic-----------Ledgerwood

-------------------------------Borjan-----------------------------------

just curious as to why the rotation of vitoria and jakovic. 

is one better suites at home vs away and vince versa?

I just dont see floro dropping JDG he has been good of late. I think akindele draws the short string 

Edited by king1010

With Arfield I think you'll see that Akindele and Ricketts become our primary sings going forward if everyone is available.

Its funny because for several years Ricketts was the stalwart attacker and Akindele really turned the tide as far as getting our quality players to commit.  Now those 2 start to become important (critical) backups as the program depth improves.  It really says something for the program that quality players like that can be backups.

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

just curious as to why the rotation of vitoria and jakovic. 

is one better suites at home vs away and vince versa?

I just dont see floro dropping JDG he has been good of late. I think akindele draws the short string 

I originally assumed Jackovic played in and against Mexico before which was the only reason why (familiarity), however upon further review...he 1. was on the bench in Mexico in 08 WCQ, and 2. he has also never played against Mexico.

I don't see Floro dropping him either, I just think its the best decision. 

7 hours ago, matty said:

Does anyone else feel kind of sad for the guy? He REALLY wanted to represent Scotland and got so close but it just never happened.

Of course.  It has to be hard to not be picked by your home country and have to look abroad for international football.  He is so darn close to being there, but just hasn't broken through.    He is 27 and it is pretty clear they are not going to call him up, so this is a nice option for him.  I hope he gets a warm welcome and enjoys playing for his adopted country.

Guys playing for other countries is perfectly fine if their home nation isn't going to call them up by their mid 20s.  This is the kind of situation where the rules about parents and grandparents are a positive and allow guys to pursue international football when they aren't quite good enough for their homeland (at least in the eyes of their home FA).  Unfortunately, these rules get abused when you get mercenaries from lower ranked nations looking for any opportunity to try to play for a perceived "better nation".  We all know about that here in Canada.

I only advocate switching nations if your home doesn't have you in their plans by the time you hit 23 or 24.  I think that is a fair enough opportunity for the country of birth to take care of you or not.

Welcome to Canada Mr. Arfield.  Unless he comes in with an injury or something, he should be in the starting 11 against Mexico without question.

Edited by amanfromvancouver

23 hours ago, matty said:

Does anyone else feel kind of sad for the guy? He REALLY wanted to represent Scotland and got so close but it just never happened.

This one from the Scottish Sun with slightly different quotes makes it seem even sadder. http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/6913225/Scott-Arfield-Scotland-dont-want-me-so-Ill-play-for-Canada.html

EDIT: Posted the wrong link! Fixed.

Also, part of me loves the fact that he hasn't even been to Canada before.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I can not claim to be an expert on the Scottish MNT player pool; but from what I have seen of Scott, and the Scottish National Team,  it does make me puzzled why they never invested a few matches in him over the last 4 years.

Well, good for him I guess. I mean, if they cap tied him up for a game or two and then never called him again, this opportunity would not have happened.  He seems to have made peace with not playing for Scotland and I look forward to a good 5 or 6 years with him playing for Canada.  He has an exciting chance to be part of a growing program in a country that is growing at the professional level.

Edited by amanfromvancouver

10 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Would be really handy if he could beat Bircham's record and score two goals before he ever sets foot in Canada.

You do realize that the first WCQ match is in Vancouver right ... when would he score these goals?!  ;)

Has it been suggested that he's only coming to the away match vs. Mexico?

1 hour ago, Addona said:

You do realize that the first WCQ match is in Vancouver right ... when would he score these goals?!  ;)

Has it been suggested that he's only coming to the away match vs. Mexico?

The Scottish Sun phrases the thing oddly. They are a tabloid though. Link in my previous post above.

"And providing the logistics work out, he could be making his debut for his adopted country against Mexico in the iconic Azteca Stadium in a World Cup qualifier on March 29."

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

31 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The Scottish Sun's phrases the thing oddly. They are a tabloid though. Link in my previous post above.

"And providing the logistics work out, he could be making his debut for his adopted country against Mexico in the iconic Azteca Stadium in a World Cup qualifier on March 29."

The Sun papers in the UK make our Sun papers in Canada look like the New York Times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Floortom said:

Not a surprise at this point, but Arfield is left out of the Scottish squads for upcoming friendlies. He's done with Scotland - only question is when he'll suit up for us.

http://scotfa.co/B0RQls

This is promising for Canada.  Many members of the Tartan Army are outraged by the exclusion of Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn) and Ross McCormack (Fulham) especially, not so much Arfield.  Nevertheless, if Arfield can't get into the Scotland squad with some of the very mediocre call ups I've seen, then he can only be ours if he wants to pursue an international career.

Edited by JamboAl

18 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

So strange that he has never been called. He is at least as good if not better than a few of those mids that did get called.

Scotland refuses to call him up (their choice) so he is well within his rights to move elsewhere.... but just watch the supporters howl and call him a traitor when he scores his first goal for Canada.

1 hour ago, amanfromvancouver said:

Scotland refuses to call him up (their choice) so he is well within his rights to move elsewhere.... but just watch the supporters howl and call him a traitor when he scores his first goal for Canada.

The difference here is that he has never been called up by Scotland and therefore, never snubbed Scotland.  If Arfield is successful with Canada, the Tartan Army's beef would be with Gordon Strachan and his coaching staff.