Scott Arfield

41 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

To be fair, Arfield kept at it a lot longer than Welshman did. 

Really ridiculous for Welshman to give up that quick, he seemed bitter though.. he really wasn't that far off a Canada call.  Still, I think he's a good fit for the Canadian Premier League even as a Guyana international he's a local talent and an international.  

I think Arfield is a different situation.  Scotland should have capped him by now, really puzzling that they haven't.

13 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Really ridiculous for Welshman to give up that quick, he seemed bitter though.. he really wasn't that far off a Canada call.  Still, I think he's a good fit for the Canadian Premier League even as a Guyana international he's a local talent and an international.  

I think Arfield is a different situation.  Scotland should have capped him by now, really puzzling that they haven't.

Welshman was signed by RSL this year, he may actually have a shot at more than the CPL

Starting to get paranoid that Arfield won't be with the squad against Mexico as the paperwork hasn't been finalized. I kind of feel we would have heard something by now if he was confirmed. Otherwise we will need to wait until the friendly in June to see him in uniform

From the article last month, the FIFA paperwork was filed weeks ago and had already reached the stage that the Scottish FA had been notified some time before the first week of February. We don't know if he's got his passport, yet, but it's either done, or has been pending for at least 6 weeks. I can't see his debut being delayed by a paperwork delay or lack of a passport, based on those time frames. I suspect that everything is in order, but the CSA is holding off on the announcement so that they can make a bit of a splash when the roster is released next week. 

BTW, there seems to be a fair degree of disgruntlement on Twitter amongst Scottish football supporters that Strachan has allowed Arfield to slip through their fingers. 

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Are you assuming the paperwork hasn't been finalized or do you know for sure? Articles from earlier this year stated that he expects to be called and he's filed for his one time switch. 

nothing but speculation / paranoia as I made clear in my post. I could certainly be wrong. I'm just surprised there has been no announcement from anyone 2 weeks out from the match

On 3/12/2016 at 12:43 PM, Floortom said:

nothing but speculation / paranoia as I made clear in my post. I could certainly be wrong. I'm just surprised there has been no announcement from anyone 2 weeks out from the match

There likely won't be until Thursday or Friday when they release the squad.

EDIT: Image deleted.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

From a report a couple of days ago.

The one concern when playing Mexico — as the United States Soccer Federation is well aware — is that fans of that team tend to show up en masse almost everywhere in North America. With it being such a crucial game for Floro's side, Canada Soccer has taken the extraordinary step of making the vast majority of seats only available to buyers with a Canadian mailing address (or IP address, if purchasing online).

So if Scott Arfield is denied papers after the CSA has gone to all this trouble due to politics I will be so pissed.

We need him no questions asked.

On 6/2/2016 at 7:11 PM, king1010 said:

just curious as to why the rotation of vitoria and jakovic. 

is one better suites at home vs away and vince versa?

I just dont see floro dropping JDG he has been good of late. I think akindele draws the short string 

I don't understand why Olivier Occean gets called more often. A canadian player in Odd ( Norway first division ). He scored 15 goals last year  and add 5 more in Europa league. My Canadian squad would look like this.

------------------------------------------Larin-------------------------------------------------------

Hoillet Jr.------------------------------------------------------------------------------Occean

--------------------------------------Arfield-----------------------------------------------------

Jonhson-----------------------------------------------------------Hutchison

De jong------------Edgar--------------Vitoria-----------------Ledgerwood

------------------------------------Crepeau-----------------------------------------

31 minutes ago, swiftric2000 said:

I don't understand why Olivier Occean gets called more often. A canadian player in Odd ( Norway first division ). He scored 15 goals last year  and add 5 more in Europa league. My Canadian squad would look like this.

------------------------------------------Larin-------------------------------------------------------

Hoillet Jr.------------------------------------------------------------------------------Occean

--------------------------------------Arfield-----------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------Crepeau-----------------------------------------

Occean never gets called probably due in part to his red card vs Cuba in 2012, then his subsequent suspension for the next 6 meaningful games which went into 2014. New younger players have emerged and he let us down going into the most important game in 2012 vs Honduras. 

4 hours ago, swiftric2000 said:

Crepeau? Really?

4 hours ago, swiftric2000 said:

no way crepeau starts over borjan or stama. 

also occean isn't a winger

On 1/25/2016 at 7:31 PM, canta15 said:

Like I said in the Canadians abroad thread, a player wouldn't follow a team on twitter unless he was fully committed. I am 100% sure he will be on the squad (hopefully starting over Ricketts) in March.

Now Arfield is following Victor Montagliani on twitter! :D

So either Arfield is more than 100% kook-aid level committed...

...or he hates @Robert. :P

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Looking at this article http://www.wakingthered.com/2016/2/6/10927022/scott-arfield-tells-reporter-he-expects-to-represent-canada-in-march-world-cup-qualifiers 

from February 6, it states two pieces of paperwork have already been filed, the passport and the one time switch paperwork that went through Scotland's fa. I checked how long it takes for a passport to be processed that was filed internationally, it's 20 business days. It's been 26 business days since that article was written, and who knows how far before that it was actually filed. I feel good.

I'll feel better when they roll him out in style like they did Hoilett.  Big announcement, fresh new kit, scarf, and and a thick scottish accent telling us how he loves canada and then cerimoniously spits on a picture of Hargreaves.  Come on you paper pushers, dont let us down, shuffle and stamp that damn paperwork!!  

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I'll feel better when they roll him out in style like they did Hoilett.  Big announcement, fresh new kit, scarf, and and a thick scottish accent telling us how he loves canada and then cerimoniously spits on a picture of Hargreaves.  Come on you paper pushers, dont let us down, shuffle and stamp that damn paperwork!!  

I wouldn't be surprised if that all comes with the roster announcement. The timing of this seems kind of tight and I don't think Arfield is as recognizable as Hoilett in the mainstream media. 

So I guess this announcement is coming tomorrow at the earliest. 

26 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I love this idea, just before a huge game too. I love hoilett but I've been thinking, is Arfield even better?