Scott Arfield

On 1/25/2016 at 6:53 PM, Jahinho Guerro said:

I heard the announcer say he has scored 6 or 5 in the last 8 games.

His style of play seems more suited for the middle of the field (and by the way he's all over the field), but I'll take him on our right side.

Can't wait to see him in CAN RED.

Central midfield of Arfield, Will and Hutch, is pretty tantalizing... with Hoilett and (?)Tesho on the wings (though Floro seems to prefer Ricketts). Although, I unfortunately think regardless of his talent Floro would be a little hesitant to start him centrally (as opposed to on the wings) in the Mexico game without previously being part of his camps.

On 1/26/2016 at 7:13 PM, king1010 said:

some ppl have been speculating hes done with scotland and has made up his mind after them ignoring him for so long. 

Some canadian reporters have said he will be in vancouver based on their sources. 

Hope that's true but take nothing for granted until they've stepped onto a pitch somewhere with a CMNT jersey on.

On 1/26/2016 at 8:24 PM, king1010 said:

Holy crap. 90% of those posters are talking like hes absolute garbage and dont even want to give him a look in scotland

Never knew scotland was such a world power..... I dont even think they're that much better than us 

Ya, like they're above calling in a guy who was starting in the EPL last year, and who's currently ripping it up for a top Championship side... I think 3/4 of their midfield player pool is either playing for Celtic, or bouncing around between lower table EPL and upper table English Championship (depending on the year).

On 1/26/2016 at 8:36 PM, jpg75 said:

A guy wouldn't wear a Canadian soccer jacket to a WCQ unless he was committed either, right? lol

^This! lol

... I'll stop quoting everyone on this thread now... ;)

Edited by A_Gagne

3 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

It's possible that he's spoken with someone at the CSA about Arfield's paperwork, but I'd say it's equally possible that he read something here or on the Southsiders that he's crafted into a tweet, blog, or "story."

I give Weber more credit than you do. I believe there are a handful of people on the inside that talk to him.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I say: one thing is for him to be eligible, another is for him to be called up by the coach. Any coach has to be sovereign to do what he wants and as he sees fit, always. No CSA announcement about eligibility can alter that, nor oblige Floro to call him in. 

Let the CSA know for sure Floro will call him in, then announce it in the leadup, as suggested here.

This is exactly what happened with Aird. He filed his switch but then wasn't called for several camps. The CSA did not announce it until he was actually called.

Thought he looked good today in Burnely's 2-1 loss vs Arsenal in the 5th Round of the FA Cup, particularly in the second half. For those that missed the match, he went 90, played on the left wing of a flat 4-4-2 but would drift inside as the game wore on. He was involved in the build up for Burnley's goal and also and had a goal line clearance. In a game where a superior Arsenal held most of the play, I thought he was Burnley's best offensive player. What caught my eye was his confidence on the ball, rarely turning the ball over in the attacking half, and his ability to pick his moments to break on the counter. I was also impressed with his defensive discipline, rarely leaving the Burnley left back exposed 1-on-1 vs Oxlade-Chamberlain or Sanchez. 

I have only seen a handful of Burnley games but it's clear that Arfield's game isn't built on speed. He combines well with players, knows how to make clever runs to find space, and he can finish. He would be a massive addition to the national team and would really round out our attack alongside Hoilett and Larin. If we could get that trio in-sync, then we'll be very capable of burning Mexico and Honduras on the counter. 

Edited by FC_Hali

1 hour ago, FC_Hali said:

Thought he looked good today in Burnely's 2-1 loss vs Arsenal in the 5th Round of the FA Cup, particularly in the second half. For those that missed the match, he went 90, played on the left wing of a flat 4-4-2 but would drift inside as the game wore on. He was involved in the build up for Burnley's goal and also and had a goal line clearance. In a game where a superior Arsenal held most of the play, I thought he was Burnley's best offensive player. What caught my eye was his confidence on the ball, rarely turning the ball over in the attacking half, and his ability to pick his moments to break on the counter. I was also impressed with his defensive discipline, rarely leaving the Burnley left back exposed 1-on-1 vs Oxlade-Chamberlain or Sanchez. 

I have only seen a handful of Burnley games but it's clear that Arfield's game isn't built on speed. He combines well with players, knows how to make clever runs to find space, and he can finish. He would be a massive addition to the national team and would really round out our attack alongside Hoilett and Larin. If we could get that trio in-sync, then we'll be very capable of burning Mexico and Honduras on the counter. 

I agree with you but it was the 4th round of the FA Cup.

21 hours ago, Fussball_eh said:

Scotland would be massively stupid if they allow this to happen. Luckily for both, the FA has been demonstrating their stupidity again and again in the past :D

It's not a really big deal for them to be honest.

In their current top player pool of active & recent players on their NT, they have 10 in the EPL, 10 from the SPL and 17 in the Championship.  Not to mention that they have about another 150 or so players in the SPL plus another 100 or so in the Scottish Championship to draw from.  It's not an exaggeration to say that the Scottish National Team would be the best CONCACAF team.  

Scott Arfield would be a massive addition to Canada but he's not the biggest loss to Scotland just because of the depth that we don't have and the depth that they do have.  Canada is in the position for the first time now really of having the luxury of having a bench players from the SPL and MLS that are not mandatory pickups on our roster.  

We probably have only 30-40 or so players who are bona-fide International quality players. Just look how many players from Unattached FC we've called up over the 2 years or how many guys we've called who get no minutes on their teams.

1 minute ago, baulderdash77 said:

In their current top player pool of active & recent players on their NT, they have 10 in the EPL, 10 from the SPL and 17 in the Championship.  Not to mention that they have about another 150 or so players in the SPL plus another 100 or so in the Scottish Championship to draw from.  It's not an exaggeration to say that the Scottish National Team would be the best CONCACAF team.  

Scott Arfield would be a massive addition to Canada but he's not the biggest loss to Scotland just because of the depth that we don't have and the depth that they do have.  Canada is in the position for the first time now really of having the luxury of having a bench players from the SPL and MLS that are not mandatory pickups on our roster.  

We probably have only 30-40 or so players who are bona-fide International quality players. Just look how many players from Unattached FC we've called up over the 2 years or how many guys we've called who get no minutes on their teams.

Fair point. I am not a Scotland football expert my any means, but the way he has been playing lately, I am sure he can help the forever struggling Scots.

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

They certainly have a lot of depth, and you're right in stating that where he would be a massive boost to us, it's debatable if he's much of a loss for them, but 10 EPL quality players wouldn't make them the best team in CONCACAF.

USA have 6 Bundesliga and 5 EPL players in their recent player pool by my count, and Mexico has 11 playing in BL/La Liga or at top clubs like Porto/Benfica/PSV... not to mention the fact that, Celtic aside, LigaMX is a significantly higher level than the SPL. Heck even Costa Rica have 9 players playing in Europe at an EPL/La Liga/BL/Serie A or equivalent level club... including the current starting keeper for Real Madrid.

Scotland are better than us, both in terms of depth and top end talent, but to say they would be the best team in CONCACAF is a bit of a stretch.

IMO that's selling CONCACAF soccer a little short.

Edited by A_Gagne

58 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

They certainly have a lot of depth, and you're right in stating that where he would be a massive boost to us, it's debatable if he's much of a loss for them, but 10 EPL quality players wouldn't make them the best team in CONCACAF.

USA have 6 Bundesliga and 5 EPL players in their recent player pool by my count, and Mexico has 11 playing in BL/La Liga or at top clubs like Porto/Benfica/PSV... not to mention the fact that, Celtic aside, LigaMX is a significantly higher level than the SPL. Heck even Costa Rica have 9 players playing in Europe at an EPL/La Liga/BL/Serie A or equivalent level club... including the current starting keeper for Real Madrid.

Scotland are better than us, both in terms of depth and top end talent, but to say they would be the best team in CONCACAF is a bit of a stretch.

IMO that's selling CONCACAF soccer a little short.

It's not just "Celtic aside" though, that's the point.  Celtic is a legitimate Champions League team.  Scotland has 10 EPL players and another 17 players from Celtic playing Champions League (only 5 of which make their NT).  Neither the US or Mexico would have 12 players from a Champions League team NOT making the cut for a national league call up, let alone that many players combined. They have more depth than Mexico or the US.  It's not selling CONCACAF short; they have a legitimately deeper roster of quality players. 

Also why are you defending the US or Mexico and why am I debating the merits of Scotland's program?  We're Canadian fans!

My point is that Scotland can afford to lose Arfield without it being a disaster to their program and they can.  He will be a massive boost to our program and undoubtedly a day 1 starter at RM (Hoilett at LM) for us.

Edited by baulderdash77

10 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

It's not just "Celtic aside" though, that's the point.  Celtic is a legitimate Champions League team.  Scotland has 10 EPL players and another 17 players from Celtic playing Champions League (only 5 of which make their NT).  Neither the US or Mexico would have 12 players from a Champions League team NOT making the cut for a national league call up, let alone that many players combined. They have more depth than Mexico or the US.  It's not selling CONCACAF short; they have a legitimately deeper roster of quality players. 

Also why are you defending the US or Mexico and why am I debating the merits of Scotland's program?  We're Canadian fans!

My point is that Scotland can afford to lose Arfield without it being a disaster to their program and they can.  He will be a massive boost to our program and undoubtedly a day 1 starter at RM (Hoilett at LM) for us.

I have to disagree. Celtic was a champions league team 5 years ago. Now the only reason theyre a champs league team is by default because the SPL has gone to shite. 

Mexico or USA or even costa rica would handle scotland. 

Celtic didnt even make the champions league.... They lost to malmo in the play ins. 

Its like saying kazakhstan could beat up on concacaf bc astana is in the champions league or israel can smash mexico bc maccabi is in the champions league....

Edited by king1010

Yea to say Scotland would be the best team in CONCACAF if a stretch.  They MIGHT be the 4th best but there are a bunch of teams in our region fighting for that claim... 

Scotland is closer to us in terms of level than they are to Mexico or the USA.  Mexico, USA and Costa Rica all made the round of 16 at the last World Cup getting results against European sides that Scotland hasn't been able to qualify over in 15+ years.  And as mentioned the USA thrashed Scotland 5-1 not long ago... 

And Celtic isn't a Champions League team because to be a Champions League team you need to be in the Champions League... 

I believe Scotland has more depth than the USA (not Mexico) but their starting lineup is worse than the USA and Mexico by a small margin.

Edited by Guest