Scott Arfield

4 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

A guy wouldn't wear a Canadian soccer jacket to a WCQ unless he was committed either, right? lol

Please explain to me of your obvious logic towards why Arfield followed Canada.

Just now, canta15 said:

Please explain to me of your obvious logic towards why Arfield followed Canada.

I don't know because i can't pretend to know what he's thinking. All i know is it's far from a 100% sign he's committed to playing for Canada.

6 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I don't know because i can't pretend to know what he's thinking. All i know is it's far from a 100% sign he's committed to playing for Canada.

So you're insulting my opinion and yet you have know idea why he would follow Canada. Seems legit.

Edited by Guest

20 minutes ago, canta15 said:

So you're insulting my opinion and yet you have know idea why he would follow Canada. Seems legit.

I don't see him insulting your opinion.  Anyone can follow anyone... Arfield could follow Barcelona, it doesn't mean he's going to sign for them.  He could be baiting Scotland for all we know and I think more obviously he has an interest in our national team... following our CSA twitter page means nothing.

Edited by Keegan

35 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I don't see him insulting your opinion.  Anyone can follow anyone... Arfield could follow Barcelona, it doesn't mean he's going to sign for them.  He could be baiting Scotland for all we know and I think more obviously he has an interest in our national team... following our CSA twitter page means nothing.

Sure anyone can follow anyone but why do it? What is so fascinating about our twitter account that a fence sitter has to follow it. I guess we will never know. We will just have to wait and see what happens in March but i think he will be playing for us and if you guys disagree so be it.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Fullback said:

There is speculation that he's already filed his one-time switch and would make his improved form irrelevant as it would cap-tie him to us. Just speculation though

Where is that speculation coming from? I haven't seen anyone say that he has filed the switch 

If he didn't have interest in playing he wouldn't follow us on Twitter. He also follows David Edgar on Twitter. I mentioned them both several months ago on Twitter saying arfield needs to play here and we're all behind him, Edgar favourited it. These are small things but not inconsequential. Edgar is at least in his ear. We're on his radar for sure. 

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

Where is that speculation coming from? I haven't seen anyone say that he has filed the switch 

Marc Weber at The Province. Article here. He says pretty certainly that SA will be part of the March WCQ games, you wouldn't think he would be so certain if he didn't know if SA has filed his one time switch.

He also said Vitoria would be joining the team, which has obviously turned out to be true.

3 hours ago, canta15 said:

There are many reasons he could be following. Just because he is does not mean it is 100% he's playing for us. He might, he might not. None of us know that yet.

10 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Marc Weber at The Province. Article here. He says pretty certainly that SA will be part of the March WCQ games, you wouldn't think he would be so certain if he didn't know if SA has filed his one time switch.

He also said Vitoria would be joining the team, which has obviously turned out to be true.

Although Weber's investigation seems limited to reading something on a message board and then putting it in the paper.

Question for those who know more than myself:  If SA had already filed his one time switch, tying him to us, then why wouldn't the CSA (or SA himself) come out and just announce that SA is playing for Canada ... would there be any reason to wait if the switch were 100% completed?

If I had to guess...and this is seriously just a guess. They'd probably want to wait to time it for a time that's more appropriate or could get more coverage of it. 

Generally speaking the average Canadian doesn't care about this sort of thing, but if you package the news as part of "hey we sold out BC place, oh and this awesome new player is coming to play for us!" you might get more bites from the press.

Right now for example they're probably trying to get most of the attention on the Women's Olympic team so the Arfield news would probably get buried considering the women's team is more popular in this country.

again, this is all a guess.

1 hour ago, Addona said:

Question for those who know more than myself:  If SA had already filed his one time switch, tying him to us, then why wouldn't the CSA (or SA himself) come out and just announce that SA is playing for Canada ... would there be any reason to wait if the switch were 100% completed?

I think in Aird's case they wanted to wait until he was called so they could promote it a bit. I understand he filed his papers months before he was called.

yep just like the hoilett announcement came at a time that they could hype it and use it to help sell tickets for a game this could be done the same time.

Hoilett likely decided he would represent us well before the day it was announced.

1 hour ago, pint said:

Hoilett likely decided he would represent us well before the day it was announced.

Ok, I do understand the marketing side ... good points by all, but in Hoilett's case, it was a little different (I think) because he wasn't tied to us until he stepped onto the field in an official match (perhaps I'm wrong about this, but I don't think so). Aird's situation is more like SA's, where he was tied before even playing in a match.

Edited by Addona

5 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Are you generalizing or do you know specifically his source in this instance is from a message board?

It's possible that he's spoken with someone at the CSA about Arfield's paperwork, but I'd say it's equally possible that he read something here or on the Southsiders that he's crafted into a tweet, blog, or "story."

Edited by youllneverwalkalone
seppling

1 hour ago, Addona said:

I say: one thing is for him to be eligible, another is for him to be called up by the coach. Any coach has to be sovereign to do what he wants and as he sees fit, always. No CSA announcement about eligibility can alter that, nor oblige Floro to call him in. 

Let the CSA know for sure Floro will call him in, then announce it in the leadup, as suggested here.

25 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

It's possible that he's spoken with someone at the CSA about Arfield's paperwork, but I'd say it's equally possible that he read something here or on the Southsiders that he's crafted into a tweet, blog, or "story."

Is this based on Weber not using credible sources in the past? I'm not all that familiar with him, but what you're suggesting is quite serious.