Scott Arfield

1 hour ago, Canada1 said:

Arfield and Hoillet should both be starting. Ricketts doesn't even have a club.

What happened to Ricketts at his Turkish club?  He was playing as a regular sub until a few weeks ago and now it sounds like he's not with the club anymore. Can anyone shed some light on that situation?

6 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

What happened to Ricketts at his Turkish club?  He was playing as a regular sub until a few weeks ago and now it sounds like he's not with the club anymore. Can anyone shed some light on that situation?

wasn't getting paid

Since Arfield played for Scotland at the youth level, he would have needed to file "one-time switch" paperwork with FIFA in order to be considered eligible for Canada. The fact that he's on our roster means that paperwork has been approved. And, as the name would suggest, it is a one-time switch.

So, even if he never plays a minute for us, he is now cap-tied to Canada.

beauty canadian accent. he actually made the decision a year ago and was waiting on paperwork. edgar was a big driving force. his dad is very proud

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2016/03/21/burnley-winger-scott-arfield-thrilled-to-join-canada-ahead-of-world-cup-qualifier-against-mexico-at-b-c-place/

Edited by king1010

44 minutes ago, king1010 said:

beauty canadian accent. he actually made the decision a year ago and was waiting on paperwork. edgar was a big driving force. his dad is very proud

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2016/03/21/burnley-winger-scott-arfield-thrilled-to-join-canada-ahead-of-world-cup-qualifier-against-mexico-at-b-c-place/

This kills the Lord Bob.

On January 25, 2016 at 7:31 PM, canta15 said:

Like I said in the Canadians abroad thread, a player wouldn't follow a team on twitter unless he was fully committed. I am 100% sure he will be on the squad (hopefully starting over Ricketts) in March.

Bump

3 hours ago, king1010 said:

beauty canadian accent, eh? he actually made the decision a year ago and was waiting on paperwork. edgar was a big driving force. his dad is very proud

Fixed your post. 

2 hours ago, Vince193 said:

This kills the Lord Bob.

I'm fine with Arfield! He seems like a good guy! I'm glad his dad is glad! It's the CSA bringing in non-Canadian players using us as their second choice that bugs me, not the non-Canadian players! I'm going to have to explain this at the pub like fifty times aren't I?

9 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I don't believe this. I think he started considering Canada seriously a year ago; I think he started to get really pissed at Strachan a year ago. Paperwork doesn't take a year to file. This thread is a year and a couple days old.

getting a canadian passport could have taken a year. i believe that is what he was waiting on

Edited by king1010

On 3/22/2016 at 9:03 AM, Benjamin Massey said:

I'm fine with Arfield! He seems like a good guy! I'm glad his dad is glad! It's the CSA bringing in non-Canadian players using us as their second choice that bugs me, not the non-Canadian players! I'm going to have to explain this at the pub like fifty times aren't I?

Exactly...it's nothing to do with the players and everything to do with the rules.  

On 3/22/2016 at 11:25 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I don't believe this. I think he started considering Canada seriously a year ago; I think he started to get really pissed at Strachan a year ago. Paperwork doesn't take a year to file. This thread is a year and a couple days old.

He was willing to play for Scotland even up to a few weeks ago (and they still won't call him).  Not sure when he filed the papers, but it would have been recently.  Sure he was considering it a year ago because he is in his prime and his home nation refuses to call him up.  He did not file any papers that long ago.

I hope he has a monster game and all those Scottish supporters will go crazy as to how their management let him get away like this!

PS - does anyone know why Scotland has never given him a look?  I am not an expert on their program but it sure looks like he should have at least been given a few games the last couple of years based on his club play.

Edited by amanfromvancouver

33 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

He was willing to play for Scotland even up to a few weeks ago (and they still won't call him).  Not sure when he filed the papers, but it would have been recently.  Sure he was considering it a year ago because he is in his prime and his home nation refuses to call him up.  He did not file any papers that long ago.

I hope he has a monster game and all those Scottish supporters will go crazy as to how their management let him get away like this!

PS - does anyone know why Scotland has never given him a look?  I am not an expert on their program but it sure looks like he should have at least been given a few games the last couple of years based on his club play.

Gordon Strachan doesn't rate him so he never got a look in.  

OMG, I just realised that Arfield might be the Scottish Osorio.  :-) 

1 hour ago, amanfromvancouver said:

He was willing to play for Scotland even up to a few weeks ago (and they still won't call him). Not sure when he filed the papers, but it would have been recently. Sure he was considering it a year ago because he is in his prime and his home nation refuses to call him up.  He did not file any papers that long ago.

He said he made the decision a year ago. Probably started necessary paperwork not too long after that.