Scott Arfield

2 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

If this happens can anyone see them playing against Mexico.  Floro's experimenting should be over by now and he should be playing those he is familiar with and who are familiar to each other, unless Arfield is a quantum leap over what Floro already has.

Arfield is good enough that he will be at least a sub (if maybe not a starter during the first game because he's new). If he's a sub in Vancouver I would bet that he would be a starter in Mexico.

Vitória, well, if he's at Poutine then Floro will have had more time to judge him. Doesn't seem to be in Benfica's plans so they might let him go to the camp. Increase his loan value.

I'm gonna wait until I celebrate, but this is certainly promising news about Arfield. It is really hard to see Ricketts dropping to the bench though, even if that's what we'd all opt for if we managed this team.

However, it's even more difficult a Canadian starting 11 without him, if he's indeed available. I'm sure Floro will find a spot for him, but where?

I think we need to brace ourselves to see him play centrally - he has played here before lets keep in mind. On the other hand though, there is a lot of responsibility in there, and Will Johnson and de Guzman are very important players for us. 

Really hard to say, but I think we might actually get our wish and see Ricketts drop to the bench. Obviously no disrespect to the man; he can play an important role as an energy sub against tired legs. You can't teach pace like that.

As for Vitoria, I can't say I am over the moon or anything, given his story and all. I must say though, from a pure football POV he certainly makes us deeper in central defence. 

An important thing about Vitoria is that he doesn't have a lot pace. Him and Edgar would be the ideal pairing if it wasn't for this. Both are excellent communicators, strong and physical and great in the air, plus Vitoria is a left foot and Edgar a right foot. 

13 hours ago, shermanator said:

Arfield is a good get for this team. Looking forward to seeing what he can do.

But fuck Vitoria. The weasel.

I am sort of OK with Vitoria joining the team. We've all done stupid things when we were younger. However I do think he should make an apology or provide an explanation as to why he did what he did 

What explanation is needed?  He played in a major international tournament in his home country for another country and now has finally come crawling back because we seem to have a decent shot at the hex and he's now just a whipping boy for a crap MLS team.

He is literally the poster boy for the 'maintain a sense of respectability' talk that comes up here every now or then about our player pool.

I wonder if Vitoria has seen the resurgence to Hoilett's career after  playing for us and is hoping for something similar. Because he was a very good CB for Estoril before moving to Benfica and if he could return to that level he would be quite the get for us.

2 hours ago, theaub said:

What explanation is needed?  He played in a major international tournament in his home country for another country and now has finally come crawling back because we seem to have a decent shot at the hex and he's now just a whipping boy for a crap MLS team.

He is literally the poster boy for the 'maintain a sense of respectability' talk that comes up here every now or then about our player pool.

Ok agreed. I don't want an explanation, just an apology. 

Awesome to see them land Arfield if true.... would rather Vittoria never got to wear the red and white, both for past actions and his reputation as a bit of a dressing room cancer.  But who knows, maybe he'll come good given the chance.  Worst case scenario is you bring him in for one camp against the USMNT and drop him if he gives any attitude.

6 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Sounds like Vitoria is still quite a dick in his mid-20s, walking out of a team meeting at the end of his Philly season. Seems like an unnecessary cancer. 

I don't have a problem with him because he represented Portugal (in Canada) at the U-20 level. It was unfortunate for us at the time, but he was eligible and he went for it. I'm not going to condemn him for his choice when I personally don't know him and can't speak for his motivations. We lose players because of the FIFA rules and we gain players because of the FIFA rules - celebrating some while ostracizing others based on whether or not we benefit is not something I am into.

Now, what I do have a problem with is his alleged attitude problem. Walking out of a team meeting suggests a lack of character. If he made a choice that didn't suit us in the past (Portugal youth cap), that's one thing, but this reputation as a "locker room cancer" is totally different and quite frankly, much more important and relevant.  

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I'm not expecting one but it would be very nice if he did or at least made some kind of statement that included some remorse.

It would go a long way; likely further than he thinks.

Some remorse? What is he supposed to be remorseful for? For playing for another youth team that's not Canada? 

Even if he did feel remorse (which I would bet he doesn't), that would be for himself and not for anyone else. 

Sometimes I think we forget that Vitoria doesn't owe anyone an apology for playing for another youth team, even if it was in his hometown. We don't own him.