Scott Arfield

14 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Other than Eustaquio - someone please name a Canadian midfielder that is playing a higher level or same level than Arfield right now ? You can’t ! Because there isn’t one. Hutch hasn’t played game this year, Oso is not playing plus has never played in Champions league same with Piette, Kaye and Kone ( who I really like). 

I don't think anyone would argue with you, but...

He...Has...Retired...From...International...Football!

The level of wishful thinking is almost on par with existence of a magic anti-aging potion that would put an in-prime DeGuzman back in the line up.

29 minutes ago, kacbru said:

The level of wishful thinking is almost on par with existence of a magic anti-aging potion that would put an in-prime DeGuzman back in the line up.

I was right there with you for a long time.   And it still seems impossible that he wouldn’t play in these tune up games yet somehow appear in the WC.  

But he had two interviews with KJ where it was directly suggested that he could play again with the Nats (and even  play in Qatar) and he never once directly denied the idea.  In fact he did the opposite with the “never say never” line.  I just don’t see why a guy who was 100% committed to retirement would not take that opportunity to quash that idea once and for all and put the speculation to rest. That is the puzzling part to me and the thing that makes me wonder if there is some glimmer of hope.  

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I was right there with you for a long time.   And it still seems impossible that he wouldn’t play in these tune up games yet somehow appear in the WC.  

But he had two interviews with KJ where it was directly suggested that he could play again with the Nats (and even  play in Qatar) and he never once directly denied the idea.  In fact he did the opposite with the “never say never” line.  I just don’t see why a guy who was 100% committed to retirement would not take that opportunity to quash that idea once and for all and put the speculation to rest. That is the puzzling part to me and the thing that makes me wonder if there is some glimmer of hope.  

there's no point to a scott arfield resurrection any longer...he's been bypassed, long ago, by his team and by his colleagues.  

2 hours ago, kacbru said:

He retired from international football when his family, manager, contract situation and COVID all likely made committing to a full round for Canada an inconvenience that wasn't worth it. Now that we're in the World Cup, no doubt he's having second thoughts.

Edited by The Real Marc

There is lots of opportunity to interpret what he said, in many different ways. Nothing he has said indicates that he has changed his mind.  "Never say never" could equally mean that I'm on a CMNT broadcast, so I need to be polite, but I actually have no interest. He officially retired from international football - that was a clear statement.  Everything else is just speculation.  Herdman could be begging him to come back, just for the WC, for all we know.  "Thanks John, I appreciate the offer, but I retired three years ago."

If he said on the broadcast "I want to come back, I think I have something to contribute," then we could have the debates amongst ourselves about brotherhood, Herdman, etc.  

Personally, I think it would be great if he came back, he would immediately make our midfield stronger, but I get really annoyed at the assumption that Herdman is the problem here. 

1 hour ago, kacbru said:

There is lots of opportunity to interpret what he said, in many different ways. Nothing he has said indicates that he has changed his mind.  "Never say never" could equally mean that I'm on a CMNT broadcast, so I need to be polite, but I actually have no interest. He officially retired from international football - that was a clear statement.  Everything else is just speculation.  Herdman could be begging him to come back, just for the WC, for all we know.  "Thanks John, I appreciate the offer, but I retired three years ago."

If he said on the broadcast "I want to come back, I think I have something to contribute," then we could have the debates amongst ourselves about brotherhood, Herdman, etc.  

Personally, I think it would be great if he came back, he would immediately make our midfield stronger, but I get really annoyed at the assumption that Herdman is the problem here. 

I have no idea what he’s thinking, but he also chose to appear on a CMNT broadcast, which he could of stayed silent. So you have to admit the timing of the appearance was a little interesting.

12 hours ago, eramosat said:

to win over Uruguay?  and for what reason?

sorry, Canada already achieved their most important goal without wee Scotty's help.  qualifying for the 2022 WC.  it's sad the story Scotty can bring to bear about his own choices about not getting involved earlier...but it's hardly that important in the grand scheme.  Canada has been very successful already, and he's not part of it. Period.

make the game more competitive , create more chances he would of been great

11 hours ago, kacbru said:

It's not always in what's spoken.

The fact that after three years, right before a WC he's on One Soccer giving an interview is very likely not to be coincidental. It seems clear to me at least that he would like to play at the WC... and why wouldn't he, he's a footballer. I'm sure he feels like he put in his dues in Central America when we were bad, so why not him.

Whether this was orchestrated by Herdman to get fans on-board, by Arfield to get his name in the mix, or One Soccer for more clicks is harder to understand. 

Edited by kingvikingstad

We hope and wish and speculate about what might happen in a whole lot of areas, part of what it is to be a football fan. 

If you don't want Arfield back because you think it would be a net cost to the team, fair enough.

But the interview and the timing with injuries in midfield was enough to put it back on the table for me.

And I think we could have used someone willing to take a long-range shot last night and probably will again in November when we are chasing a game. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

30 minutes ago, Califax said:

The arguments for are: "it's important to play the best possible team" and "the job isn't done with a good qualification." 

The arguments against are split between 'let's die on this hill' and 'it's important to cut off our nose to spite our face'

To be fair, some of the arguments against are: "The added benefits of having him on the team are being blown way out of proportion and if he wanted to go to the World Cup, he should've made overtures to this affect well before the last camp before the tournament so that he'd have a chance to acclimatize with the rest of the group.  Also, it's a knee-jerk reaction to a few injuries without really taking into account role, tactics and skillset."

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

To be fair, some of the arguments against are: "The added benefits of having him on the team are being blown way out of proportion and if he wanted to go to the World Cup, he should've made overtures to this affect well before the last camp before the tournament so that he'd have a chance to acclimatize with the rest of the group.  Also, it's a knee-jerk reaction to a few injuries without really taking into account role, tactics and skillset."

This part of the argument is debatable. On one hand, he's still a contributor to Rangers, a Champions League team who in fairness is likely to drop out of Europe all together, but they are a CL club nonetheless. On the other hand, Kone has grown leaps and bounds, Osorio may regain fitness, and Hutchinson could return to the fold. Do we really need Arfield in this case? Is his potential benefit being overblown? It is not clear cut to me, because we don't know the status of Osorio and Hutchinson.

If we are missing both Osorio and Hutchinson come WC time, then I would definitely lean toward this NOT being blown out of proportion. If they are healthy and good to go, I lean towards it being blown out of proportion, because at that point you'd be making the argument that Arfield is somehow head and shoulders above Osorio and Hutchinson, which I don't believe is true, even with him featuring for Rangers and doing well week-in, week-out. 

Edited by Obinna

OneSoccer brought on Arfield to get a few extra views and clicks, and people here (and the Scottish rags) fell for it like complete suckers.

He's done with Canada.  And Canada have achieved more than we ever have without him in the squad. I'm grateful for the 3.5 years he gave this national team, but I never want to see him in a Canada shirt again. That's not meant with any malice, but I want to focus my attention on those who got us to the show. So thank you for committing when it wasn't a sexy thing to do. Thanks for captaining the 2017 Gold Cup squad and the win against the US that brought us back into relevancy. Thanks for your brother singing our national anthem loud and proud. And enjoy life with the family back in Scotland.

Time for everyone to strap themselves to the Eustáquio / Koné midfield bandwagon and watch those two fuck with their cocks all over opponents for the next dozen years.

Edited by shermanator

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This part of the argument is debatable. On one hand, he's still a contributor to Rangers, a Champions League team who in fairness is likely to drop out of Europe all together, but they are a CL club nonetheless. On the other hand, Kone has grown leaps and bounds, Osorio may regain fitness, and Hutchinson could return to the fold. Do we really need Arfield in this case? Is his potential benefit being overblown? It is not clear cut to me, because we don't know the status of Osorio and Hutchinson. If we are missing both I would definitely lean NOT being blown out of proportion. If they are healthy and good to guy, I lean towards it being blown out of proportion, because at that point you'd be making the argument that Arfield is somehow head and shoulders above Osorio and Hutchinson, which I don't believe is true, even with him featuring for Rangers and doing well week-in, week-out. 

The entire thing is debatable.  Everybody points to the fact that he's playing Champions League so he must be plug and play.  Well, he's got a grand total of 154 minutes across 3 games (1 in Champions League and 2 in CL qualifying).

Meanwhile someone like Cyle Larin had 354 minutes in Champions League last year and I read somewhere else that he shouldn't be starting for Canada.

With regards to Osorio and Hutchinson, I don't think they play the same position.  You put Arfield in the middle with Eustaquio and I think we get overrun much more than we did last night.    You put him on the outside and you have to bench one of our other stars.  A guy like Osorio, who I rate very highly, I don't know where he fits in this system, let alone bringing in an unknown quantity like Arfield.