Scott Arfield

23 minutes ago, shermanator said:

OneSoccer brought on Arfield to get a few extra views and clicks, and people here (and the Scottish rags) fell for it like complete suckers.

He's done with Canada.  And Canada have achieved more than we ever have without him in the squad. I'm grateful for the 3.5 years he gave this national team, but I never want to see him in a Canada shirt again. That's not meant with any malice, but I want to focus my attention on those who got us to the show. So thank you for committing when it wasn't a sexy thing to do. Thanks for captaining the 2017 Gold Cup squad and the win against the US that brought us back into relevancy. Thanks for your brother singing our national anthem loud and proud. And enjoy life with the family back in Scotland.

Time for everyone to strap themselves to the Eustáquio / Koné midfield bandwagon and watch those two fuck with their cocks all over opponents for the next dozen years.

Nearly agree with all of this, expect the bolded part.

For me, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the WC squad, depending on the circumstances. There is a part of me that wants to leave him in the past. That's how I would put it. Just sounds less harsh than wishing to never see him again. If I saw him again I wouldn't be upset, unless it was at the expense of Kone, Hutchinson, Osorio, Eustaquio, Kaye, Piette, or Wotherspoon. I am fine with him coming into replace any of them IF they cannot play, but as long as they are fit they all deserve to be there over Arfield, because these are the guys who got us here, and Arfield doesn't have enough obvious superiority over any of them to warrant dropping them. 

I think the only midfielder who played in qualifiers that I would want him over is Fraser. 

Edited by Obinna

3 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

The entire thing is debatable.  Everybody points to the fact that he's playing Champions League so he must be plug and play.  Well, he's got a grand total of 154 minutes across 3 games (1 in Champions League and 2 in CL qualifying).

Meanwhile someone like Cyle Larin had 354 minutes in Champions League last year and I read somewhere else that he shouldn't be starting for Canada.

With regards to Osorio and Hutchinson, I don't think they play the same position.  You put Arfield in the middle with Eustaquio and I think we get overrun much more than we did last night.    You put him on the outside and you have to bench one of our other stars.  A guy like Osorio, who I rate very highly, I don't know where he fits in this system, let alone bringing in an unknown quantity like Arfield.

Yes for sure. Just wanted to highlight that as being particularly debatable, that's all.

And I am not sure on what basis you think Arfield and Eustaquio get overrun. Because he doesn't have the legs? That's a curious take for me. As for Osorio (who I also rate highly), I don't see an issue of him fitting into the "system". He's fit in just fine all though out qualifiers. 

Again, this is all for fun and hypothetical, because Arfield is not coming back. I think there's a bigger chance of Jebbison committing to the squad and joining up for Qatar. 

To add a bit of general debate to this specific one, I think we should really be looking at playing three central midfielders against good ie. most World Cup teams.

Lots of problems there as attacking winger is our deepest position and central midfield is not. And that is where our best player plays best.

But I think the central defenders that are starting in the World Cup are a fair bit better in a 3 than a duo. Which tends to push aside advanced wingers because of your wing backs.

Maybe you pack the midfield to start and keep things tight; then switch to 4 at the back and unleash your wingers when defenders tire.

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

And I am not sure on what basis you think Arfield and Eustaquio get overrun. Because he doesn't have the legs? That's a curious take for me. As for Osorio (who I also rate highly), I don't see an issue of him fitting into the "system". He's fit in just fine all though out qualifiers.  

I say this because he doesn't have the defensive acumen that we will need.  Arfield is great going forward when he's playing in the middle.  However, the defensive side of his game is not his strength.

Yes, he plays for Rangers.  But really, outside of Champions League, Rangers have 2 big league games a year and in Champions League, their defensive deficiencies are being found out.  Every other game in the league, Rangers are on the front foot and he excels.  This is not what we need right now.  This, in fact, was what we needed when we were playing Panama and Costa Rica, teams that we could go toe-to-toe with.

When we're playing Belgium and Croatia and Morocco, we need that defensive presence.  We need those bulldogs in the middle because we will be defending and looking to hit on the counter.

This is why I say that, if you bring in Arfield, it is at the expense of our money players: Davies, David, Larin, Buchanan, Ugbo, and not the role players like Piette or Kaye or Kone.

The same goes for Osorio although over the last few years, he's really improved the defensive side of his game.

3 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I say this because he doesn't have the defensive acumen that we will need.  Arfield is great going forward when he's playing in the middle.  However, the defensive side of his game is not his strength.

Yes, he plays for Rangers.  But really, outside of Champions League, Rangers have 2 big league games a year and in Champions League, their defensive deficiencies are being found out.  Every other game in the league, Rangers are on the front foot and he excels.  This is not what we need right now.  This, in fact, was what we needed when we were playing Panama and Costa Rica, teams that we could go toe-to-toe with.

When we're playing Belgium and Croatia and Morocco, we need that defensive presence.  We need those bulldogs in the middle because we will be defending and looking to hit on the counter.

This is why I say that, if you bring in Arfield, it is at the expense of our money players: Davies, David, Larin, Buchanan, Ugbo, and not the role players like Piette or Kaye or Kone.

The same goes for Osorio although over the last few years, he's really improved the defensive side of his game.

I believe we should play a more offensive style, that’s where most of our talent is.

If we play defensively, Belgium and Croatia will outclass us.

I’ve only seen those sides have trouble, is when they are getting pressured offensively.

I would have Arfield line up right behind David and push the ball forward as much as possible.

2 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Echo that.  However, will disagree, to a degree, on one point.

Arfield may be the card you need when you're going all in.  Throwing the kitchen sink, the countertop and the whole damned room at the enemy. 

If Herdman thinks that's a strategic tact he may want, or need, to turn to at some point in this upcoming tournement then he'll have to bring that card to the table.  

That said, Kone might be the better investment for Herdman?  Medium. long term?  Absolutely.  Obviously if Scotty goes to Qatar this is his curtain call for Canada.

I think Qatar is a "live for the moment" tournie for Canada.  Should it be anything else?  Not worrying about the future.  The future will sort itself out.     

I will admit that I don’t have the tactical nuance here that many others demonstrate.  And I say that genuinely.  But I do think that we can avoid the need to play frantic defence against the top teams by playing more effective attack.  Not in a reckless way, but in a controlled way that forces teams on the back foot more often because they are more worried about conceding goals. 

At this point I don’t think that Arfield will come back for Qatar.  As much as I would like to see it happen, I think it is impossible that he skips our 2 recent preparation games yet somehow still shows up at the last moment as part of the team.  It just wouldn’t make sense given Herdman’s meticulous preparation.  But I still think he would be a strong and positive addition to the team as long as he wasn’t such a disruptive personality that he destroyed  all team chemistry - which I still believe is unlikely.  I think he is the best attacking midfielder in our pool, with Oso as a close second.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

7 hours ago, El Hombre said:

The entire thing is debatable.  Everybody points to the fact that he's playing Champions League so he must be plug and play.  Well, he's got a grand total of 154 minutes across 3 games (1 in Champions League and 2 in CL qualifying).

Meanwhile someone like Cyle Larin had 354 minutes in Champions League last year and I read somewhere else that he shouldn't be starting for Canada.

With regards to Osorio and Hutchinson, I don't think they play the same position.  You put Arfield in the middle with Eustaquio and I think we get overrun much more than we did last night.    You put him on the outside and you have to bench one of our other stars.  A guy like Osorio, who I rate very highly, I don't know where he fits in this system, let alone bringing in an unknown quantity like Arfield.

Comparing Larin and Arfield doesn't do the topic in question justice. Larin is a forward, a position where we have many options that would make it understandable to prefer him not being a starter. Arfield on the other hand is a midfielder. A position where we are thin of quality and have fitness issues to boot. I know I'm stating the obvious but it's the difference that should be underlined that identifies the contrast. Even if Osorio, Hutch and Wotherspoon make it they won't be in form and in tip top shape. Thats just the reality. They're not playing competitive games. It takes a consistent string of playing time to reach full match fitness and to reach tip top shape.  They more than likely won't be at their best. We need help and have a lad who checkmarks those boxes.

We can count the quantity of minutes, but we should consider the quality of them, especially of those that are most recent and in the current season. Arfield was substituted on the 73' for Rangers up 1-0 vs PSV to help protect their lead in order to qualify for the CL. Those are seriously competitive minutes on a stage few of our players have been on this season. That cameo requires a level of responsibility (especially defensive), competitiveness and execution that is elite and it also highlights the trust his coach has in him to deliver in crunch time on the big stage. Arfield is not an unknown quantity. He has experience, has worn the captains armband and would arguably be one of, if not our most composed and unfazed player on the WC stage. Let's not act like this stage is like any other. IT'S NOT. We saw Borjan's heebie jeebies in a friendly. Nerves are real and they will show and that is why experience is key in Qatar. For those who say Kone can just easily slot in instead of Arfield are discounting how valuable experience is. I want a guy who has been to many a dance on big stages to dance on the biggest stage of 'em all. Arfield will only help us be better.

6 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Someone just ask Herdman already

And this is the other side of the coin that has me pissed off: this is an unneeded distraction two months before the tournament.  Herdman shouldn't have to answer that question, in my opinion.

I really think it was a dick move to be on OneSoccer.  Not sure who initiated that, but I really hated it.

4 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

And this is the other side of the coin that has me pissed off: this is an unneeded distraction two months before the tournament.  Herdman shouldn't have to answer that question, in my opinion.

I really think it was a dick move to be on OneSoccer.  Not sure who initiated that, but I really hated it.

I said it was strange from the off.  Less so when we found out it was just an interview and he didn't travel but very much still not needed.

It did get us talking and paying attention. Mission accomplished I guess.

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

Sort of but let’s be honest, it’s not an issue that’s been managed well.

If you’re talking about strategic communications / PR you want to get the true story, the whole story or at least a fully believable story out there so people stop asking questions. 

That didn’t happen.

Sure, there was a feel of finality to his retirement, but so many lingering questions has always left the door open a crack. I know we have a lot of fun on this thread about what idiots we are, but it was always way beyond us wishing he comes back. That’s obvious now. 

I disagree with you that it’s really that much of a distraction, given the pay dispute, the lack of jerseys, the injuries to other midfielders are all bigger talking points. 

If you were to put this situation in any other soccer country in the world, it would be in the front pages of the sports section with regularity. I’m not sure one soccer did anything wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Califax said:

I disagree with you that it’s really that much of a distraction, given the pay dispute, the lack of jerseys, the injuries to other midfielders are all bigger talking points. 

What I meant to say is that, should it make it to Herdman where he has to answer this question, particularly during an availability after dropping a roster sometime in November, then yes it will be an unneeded distraction.  All the other points you list are unneeded distractions indeed, but I think are important to discuss.

I get it that right now it's just cannon fodder for a bunch of people on a forum and isn't really making waves anywhere but here.

With regards to One Soccer, if they sought out Arfield to generate views, I'm not too happy about that.  What's next?  Maybe get Zambrano on the couch to assess tactics? 

However, I actually think it was the other way around, that Arfield sought out One Soccer.  And that is icky in a different way.

8 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Herdman hardly has to do any interviews.  The rabid fanbase is not a large one in Canada.  The stress he feels on a day to day basis on a scale of 1 to 10 is probably pretty close to 1 compared to Tata who's much closer to a 10.  Tata gets bombarded with questions about tactics and players all the time.  Why isn't this player player, why is that player playing.

I feel like lessons were learned against Uruguay and if we look at our opponents there may be times we're better off with a midfield 3.  Now let's look at the midfield.  Osorio is dealing with a serious and unpredictable injury.  He may be ruled fit in time for the world cup, but he won't have played a lot of if any minutes leading up to Japan.  The first innocuous bumping into another player on the pitch and he could be ruled out for the tournament.  Atiba's health is also in question. He's 39 years old.  I hope and prey he is able to go, but let's be realistic.  He's another player that even if he's declared fit carries greater re-injury risk having not played in 5 or 6 months.   Kaye won't have played minutes going in and he hasn't looked particularly good when he has been on the pitch.  Now he's going to have to face the best in the world.  That leaves Kone and Piette.  Piette is good at what he does and comes with certain limitations but probably pretty reliable of what your going to get.

Kone was a revelation.  The strength, techinical skill, pace and ability to handle the moment against Uruguay.  When you talk about a midfield field and pairing a thouroughbred like Kone with 2 high IQ technically gifted players in Eustaquio and Arfield, who quite frankly aren't very fast, it's intriguing.  They need that athleticism to pair with their skill, but with that athleticism of Kone and the blinding pace of Davies and buchanan on the wings with a clinical striker in David could be something to behold. 

I think KJ initiated this because he likes the player and feels like Arfield would help the team.  Our midfield is carrying serious doubt injury wise.  I think it would be negligient not to carry an extra mid for cover.  Arfield was incredibly diplomatic. He didn't stir the pot at all, and it's always good to get the perspective from former players.  It's clear he's watching the games when he talked about Kone the way he did prior to the Uruguay match.  

Jon faced zero difficult or uncomfortable questions leading up to the friendlies or following them.  There's no need for you to feel sorry for Jon Herdman.  He has it about as easy as it can get.  Likely the least media pressure of any of the 32 national team managers at that tournament.  I'm sure he'll watch comments by Arfield and it might be enough for him to ask questions of himself and maybe he'll come to the conclusion that a reach out to Arfield is warranted like many of us believe it is. 

4 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

Herdman hardly has to do any interviews.  The rabid fanbase is not a large one in Canada.  The stress he feels on a day to day basis on a scale of 1 to 10 is probably pretty close to 1 compared to Tata who's much closer to a 10.  Tata gets bombarded with questions about tactics and players all the time.  Why isn't this player player, why is that player playing.

I feel like lessons were learned against Uruguay and if we look at our opponents there may be times we're better off with a midfield 3.  Now let's look at the midfield.  Osorio is dealing with a serious and unpredictable injury.  He may be ruled fit in time for the world cup, but he won't have played a lot of if any minutes leading up to Japan.  The first innocuous bumping into another player on the pitch and he could be ruled out for the tournament.  Atiba's health is also in question. He's 39 years old.  I hope and prey he is able to go, but let's be realistic.  He's another player that even if he's declared fit carries greater re-injury risk having not played in 5 or 6 months.   Kaye won't have played minutes going in and he hasn't looked particularly good when he has been on the pitch.  Now he's going to have to face the best in the world.  That leaves Kone and Piette.  Piette is good at what he does and comes with certain limitations but probably pretty reliable of what your going to get.

Kone was a revelation.  The strength, techinical skill, pace and ability to handle the moment against Uruguay.  When you talk about a midfield field and pairing a thouroughbred like Kone with 2 high IQ technically gifted players in Eustaquio and Arfield, who quite frankly aren't very fast, it's intriguing.  They need that athleticism to pair with their skill, but with that athleticism of Kone and the blinding pace of Davies and buchanan on the wings with a clinical striker in David could be something to behold. 

I think KJ initiated this because he likes the player and feels like Arfield would help the team.  Our midfield is carrying serious doubt injury wise.  I think it would be negligient not to carry an extra mid for cover.  Arfield was incredibly diplomatic. He didn't stir the pot at all, and it's always good to get the perspective from former players.  It's clear he's watching the games when he talked about Kone the way he did prior to the Uruguay match.  

Jon faced zero difficult or uncomfortable questions leading up to the friendlies or following them.  There's no need for you to feel sorry for Jon Herdman.  He has it about as easy as it can get.  Likely the least media pressure of any of the 32 national team managers at that tournament.  I'm sure he'll watch comments by Arfield and it might be enough for him to ask questions of himself and maybe he'll come to the conclusion that a reach out to Arfield is warranted like many of us believe it is. 

I agree with all of this.  The analysis of our midfield situation is why I think this is actually an important conversation. 

10 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

I also agree with this. How often do we complain that the soccer coverage/media in Canada is poor or inattentive? Well, someone in the media brings up an important question (is Arfield willing to come back?) and some are upset it might "bother" Herdman?

Until he deals with it, let him be bothered.

See: Tata's answer to the question about why Chicharito wasn't selected: "I didn't select him; we went with other forwards". Next question? :D

12 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

A couple thoughts:

1) I don't feel sorry for Herdman.  I would just find the whole line of questioning tedious were I in his shoes.  "Why haven't you brought Scott Arfield back?" the answer to that question is: "He retired from international football."  What more does he need to say?  Next question.

2) Your formation above is a 4-3-3.  To me, that is dangerous when going against the firepower that Belgium and Croatia have.  I've already talked about my thoughts on Arfield's defensive acumen so I won't get into that again, but going 4-3-3 means that you will probably have to give Tajon or Davies increased defensive responsibilities which limits their counter-attacking potential.  Either that or run them ragged which is not an ideal strategy for a short tournament where our games get (theoretically) easier and more winnable as we go.

3) The only real area where I think Arfield might help would be in the situation @Cheeta laid out above where we hit the 75' minute and we're going for it.  In that case I could see him being useful.  More useful than Hoilett or Ugbo or Osorio or Larin?  Jury's still out, but he would definitely be an option.

4) The first step in any sort of Arfield comeback would be for Scott to reach out to John and say "If there's a place for me, I'd love to be considered."  Has he done that?  There would be a question for Arfield to answer because if he hasn't then it's on him.  He retired.  If he wants back, then he has to make the first move.  Our coach should not be begging players to play for Canada.  Now, if he has done that and Herdman's ignored his calls, that is worth discussing.  However, if he hasn't done that and is trying to leverage a TV appearance to do that, that is gross.  I think if it was any other player doing that, many more around here would find it as gross as I do.  But it's all conjecture.  I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.  I'm just a guy who doesn't think the grass is always greener.

10 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I also agree with this. How often do we complain that the soccer coverage/media in Canada is poor or inattentive? Well, someone in the media brings up an important question (is Arfield willing to come back?) and some are upset it might "bother" Herdman?

Until he deals with it, let him be bothered.

See: Tata's answer to the question about why Chicharito wasn't selected: "I didn't select him; we went with other forwards". Next question? :D

You really think it would end with that?  

And again, I'm not upset it might bother him.  I just think it's unnecessary at this point.

I’ve been pushing for Arfield back but I’ve thought deeper about this and I’m absolutely convinced he should be shut out.

Herdman needs to make an example of him for the sake of this program. Following this World Cup the importance of games will significantly drop until 2026. We’ll be relying on friendlies, nations league and gold cup matches for 3.5 years. 

This World Cup isn’t the important one - 2026 is. So if Herdman lets Arfield back in it sends a message to all our players (especially our stars) that they can leave the team for a few years and be conveniently welcomed back when it suits them. 

Imagine this happens with Davies or David? It makes it even worse that he was named captain and then did this. We simply cannot afford this and he needs to be let go.