Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

18 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

NB: all teams are from Montevideo

All the teams from the league are. That was my point.

Look maybe he will score the heaps of goals you foresee, and I can understand the move for him. Everybody would go. Of course playing the continental cup brings attention to him. I just wonder as an inspiring footballer in Uruguay, he'd probably hoped to be playing somewhere else right now. Many of his fellow players have. 

On 3/29/2016 at 4:19 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

I bet Cavallini has sporadic appearances for Canada for the rest of his life but never anything consistent.

I also bet he doesn't move from Uruguay. Something tells me the guy is content where he is and his passion and drive has subsided. 

On 3/29/2016 at 4:36 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Good bet: he had a tranfser deal to Colon in top flight Argentina finished and signed two months ago, so please put your money where your mouth is, we'd love to clean you out. 

Now if you want to know why he is not at Colon playing against Boca and River now, same reason you'll be eating at a food bank if you let all betters take your line: that is what happens when you let yourself get foolishly into debt.

So it's been almost 10 months since I said he'd stay in Uruguay and he's just signed a 3 year deal to do just that. Obviously he could be moving in the future but I'm more confident in my original bet now than I was last March.

The current transfer window doesn't close until the end of March and then the next possibility will be in July.

We'll see!

On 1/12/2017 at 6:59 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

So it's been almost 10 months since I said he'd stay in Uruguay and he's just signed a 3 year deal to do just that. Obviously he could be moving in the future but I'm more confident in my original bet now than I was last March.

The current transfer window doesn't close until the end of March and then the next possibility will be in July.

We'll see!

If you are boasting about predicting his passion and drive have subsided after he just signed for Peñarol, you have just become a victim of your own unintended irony, seems to me. Or, basically, you have just been proven wrong ;)

20 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you are boasting about predicting his passion and drive have subsided after he just signed for Peñarol, you have just become a victim of your own unintended irony, seems to me. Or, basically, you have just been proven wrong ;)

Nope, boasting about possibly being right about him staying in Uruguay. Questions about his drive and passion will be proven by his commitment to the national team in the next couple years.

18 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Nope, boasting about possibly being right about him staying in Uruguay. Questions about his drive and passion will be proven by his commitment to the national team in the next couple years.

I think he has passion and drive, just not for Canada. He doesn't strike me as a proud Canadian and i'm sure if he was qualified and called to play for Uruguay, he would not think twice.

Didn't he come up in that Latin league in Toronto? I mean, that on it's own doesn't mean he's not proud to be Canadian, but that in conjunction with the story about regretting a call-up (whether true or not) AND him repeatedly turning down invites is enough for me. 

I think if we make a splash at this Gold Cup (semi-finals or higher) AND hire a big name coach, he MIGHT come back sniffing around. 

Edited by Obinna

Just now, Obinna said:

I think he has passion and drive, just not for Canada. He doesn't strike me as a proud Canadian and i'm sure if he was qualified and called to play for Uruguay, he would not think twice.

Didn't he come up in that Latin league in Toronto? I mean, that on it's on doesn't mean he's not proud to be Canadian, but that in conjunction with the story about regretting a call-up (whether true or not) AND him repeatedly turning down invites is enough for me. 

I think if we make a splash at this Gold Cup (semi-finals or higher) AND hire a big name coach, he MIGHT come back sniffing around. 

He's of Argentinian descent and like many immigrant background in the Toronto area(My parents are from Uruguay) most of us are indoctrinated, not necessarily by our parents but by the actual school system, to consider ourselves as that of our parents nationality primarily, then Canadian as secondary. Obviously this isn't everyone but the notion is very much true. In this regard I am speaking of the generation born 1990-1995 which is where Lucas, myself and most of the people I'm using as my "proof" come from.

5 minutes ago, Ivanovski94 said:

He's of Argentinian descent and like many immigrant background in the Toronto area(My parents are from Uruguay) most of us are indoctrinated, not necessarily by our parents but by the actual school system, to consider ourselves as that of our parents nationality primarily, then Canadian as secondary. Obviously this isn't everyone but the notion is very much true. In this regard I am speaking of the generation born 1990-1995 which is where Lucas, myself and most of the people I'm using as my "proof" come from.

Me as well. Raised in a Latino household and always had that "old world comes first" mindset. But as I got older I embraced Canada more (as did my parents) and me being a glutton for suffering (Peru being my ethnicity) I took to Canadian soccer pretty quickly.

2 hours ago, Ivanovski94 said:

I tried this technique on my son here in Spain, trying to get him to buy into that Canada first idea, but the kid refuses to put on a pair of skates. 

But then, the other day, he skipped his footie practice to go surfing, and logically he was not called up for today's match. 

I can't figure out where his loyalties lie. Though I heard a rumour about him spending this summer in Zarautz, the creep.

3 hours ago, Ivanovski94 said:

Agree with all of that. BTW I know he's Argentinian, but he married a Uruguayan girl didn't he? That could have created a path to Uruguay for him, no (had he not been capped by us)?

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Agree with all of that. BTW I know he's Argentinian, but he married a Uruguayan girl didn't he? That could have created a path to Uruguay for him, no (had he not been capped by us)?

No as he played official matches for us prior to becoming eligible for Uruguay (I don't think that marrying a Uruguayan makes you eligible, regardless). So he was never eligible for Uruguay nor could he ever have been as soon as he played in the Canadian U20 ranks (or did he play U17? I forget). 

19 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

No as he played official matches for us prior to becoming eligible for Uruguay (I don't think that marrying a Uruguayan makes you eligible, regardless). So he was never eligible for Uruguay nor could he ever have been as soon as he played in the Canadian U20 ranks (or did he play U17? I forget). 

He played a WCQ match (that famous 8-1 match), which means an official match with MNT.

1 hour ago, canucklefan said:

He played a WCQ match (that famous 8-1 match), which means an official match with MNT.

Yes I'm aware of that one. My point was that he was actually ineligible for Uruguay prior to that. He played for Canada U20 before having established eligibility for Uruguay and therefore would never be eligible for Uruguay even if he hadn't been capped at the senior level. My understanding is that if you play a U17 or U20 match for a country you can thereafter only switch to countries that you were eligible for at that time.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I tried this technique on my son here in Spain, trying to get him to buy into that Canada first idea, but the kid refuses to put on a pair of skates. 

But then, the other day, he skipped his footie practice to go surfing, and logically he was not called up for today's match. 

I can't figure out where his loyalties lie. Though I heard a rumour about him spending this summer in Zarautz, the creep.

So he's becoming Australian.;)

On 1/15/2017 at 0:19 PM, Ivanovski94 said:

The part about the school system is interesting to me... please explain. E.g. Is it more the social groups at school, or something about the schools themselves/teaching?

55 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

The part about the school system is interesting to me... please explain. E.g. Is it more the social groups at school, or something about the schools themselves/teaching?

OK so when as kids (mainly ages 9-13) we were in school there is a lot of focus on where our parents comes from is what defines us mentality. It was the way to make everyone feel united was to show how we were all of immigrant heritage. Funny thing was those who said they were Canadian, we would laugh at and say it suck to be just Canadian. One example was in grade 8 we were talking about what we identified as, My friend said she was Canadian but her parents were Ethiopian and Russian, the class couldn't understand her sentiment , her rationale was she never went to those countries, was born and raised in Canada so why should she identify as anything other than Canadian.

I grew up in downtown Toronto, so immigrants were the majority in the area.

Edited by Ivanovski94

I think people laughing at someone for identifying themself as Canadian is a little ignorant then again they're teenagers. Honestly I get the heritage thing even before all this ancestry.ca stuff came out w DNA testing making it the flavour of the week, yes I agree your heritage makes you who you are, your mentality, your spirit and the way you go about life whether you're a 1st generation or 3rd and don't even know it.  However those people that are 1st 2nd 3rd generation that are so passionate about their parents grandparents heritage that have never been or can't even speak the language or even for those that don't realize that when they go back to those motherlands people there don't see you as one of them, they see you as a Canadian of X country descent but basically not one of them. Did not grow up in their country don't have completely the same values and have different tone in the way you speak their language. 

I agree w your thinking. Not to make this a political thread. we are all Canadians no matter walk of life. When people cling too much to the old country so much so they fail to integrate into Cdn society that's what I find a problem, and annoying especially when they capitalize on Cdn taxpayer benefits and don't have a clue as to what's going on in Canada or don't make an effort and live in their pockets and inner circles. Anyways. I'll shut up now. 

9 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

I agree w your thinking. Not to make this a political thread. we are all Canadians no matter walk of life. When people cling too much to the old country so much so they fail to integrate into Cdn society that's what I find a problem, and annoying especially when they capitalize on Cdn taxpayer benefits and don't have a clue as to what's going on in Canada or don't make an effort and live in their pockets and inner circles. Anyways. I'll shut up now. 

If someone lives in Canada peacefully and pays their taxes, I could care less what language they speak or what country they support with regard to sports.

You see tonnes of 1st and 2nd generation Canadians wearing the Maple Leaf when Canada's ice hockey teams are participating in the Olympics or World Championships, etc. Honestly, the fact that Canada's Men's National team sucks fat nucksack has a lot to do with people supporting 'old world' of other (i.e. Brazil, Germany) countries.

A little bit of sustained success could go a long way for Football in Canada, but how long have we been saying that for?...

17 hours ago, Ivanovski94 said:

One example was in grade 8 we were talking about what we identified as, My friend said she was Canadian but her parents were Ethiopian and Russian, the class couldn't understand her sentiment , her rationale was she never went to those countries, was born and raised in Canada so why should she identify as anything other than Canadian.

I grew up in downtown Toronto, so immigrants were the majority in the area.

Sounds like the only sensible kid in the class.

I think people find "Canadian" an unsatisfying answer unless you are First Nations because when people ask where you are from or what your heritage is, I think they often want to know answers to questions like "why do you look like you do?" and "where did you get that name from?". I often say "Canadian" when I'm asked, and I don't remember ever not getting a follow up question.

Why are folks acting like using your family heritage as part of how you identify as a Canadian thing? Have you never met an American? Yes they're more aggressively patriotic than us and yet they hold heritage hardcore whether it's Irish-American, Jamaican-American, Mexican-American, Israeli-American or Chinese-American. It's a North American, and even at some levels South American, thing and likely stems from when the continents were colonised and various backgrounds were given a higher class (eg the English, Spanish or Portuguese over everyone).

5 hours ago, matty said:

Why are folks acting like using your family heritage as part of how you identify as a Canadian thing? Have you never met an American? Yes they're more aggressively patriotic than us and yet they hold heritage hardcore whether it's Irish-American, Jamaican-American, Mexican-American, Israeli-American or Chinese-American. It's a North American, and even at some levels South American, thing and likely stems from when the continents were colonised and various backgrounds were given a higher class (eg the English, Spanish or Portuguese over everyone).

America teaches kids an "American first" mentality, hence the melting pot phrase. We don't do that here in Canada. We are told from a young age that we embrace multiculturalism.