Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Interesting. Either way, if he stays in Uruguay the season starts February 4th. Bring him to Camp Poutine! He can still do at least a week and a half of preseaon training in Uruguay after that.

Looks like there training camp opens Monday and that's where he will be introduced. Hopefully we see him in the mix soon.

If he rejects another Canada national team canada camp. take away his passport. What happened at the olympic tournament that make him not want to be a international. Majority of players want to play for the country. learn froma different coach, make connections with players, get mins, put urself in the shop window...

1 hour ago, yothat said:

If he rejects another Canada national team canada camp. take away his passport. What happened at the olympic tournament that make him not want to be a international. Majority of players want to play for the country. learn froma different coach, make connections with players, get mins, put urself in the shop window...

You can't just yank someone's passport away because they didn't show up for a soccer camp.

16 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I don't see him returning to Canada. If he hadn't by now he won't. He wasn't called up when we needed him.

Didn't he play in that Ghana friendly like a little over a year ago? It's not like hes been gone for a decade. I just assumed Floro didn't rate him.

Obviously I don't know him personally, so this is just speculation but.... my impression of Cavallini is that he is a glory hunter. That he wants to be part of something big and important. That is more important than representing his country (for him). Perhaps that is why he turned down past invites to focus on his club football. Can't have those little pesky Canada camps get in the way of his rise to the top, right?

Now, if he was to move up a level and actually cement himself as an important player at say Quito or Penarol, is that actually good for us? Does he look in the mirror and say "now THIS is my level - I finally made it...now let me accept a call and show the CSA what a real striker looks like"? Or, does he say to himself "now I NEED more - I need to play for a Boca or River Plate or play in La Liga / Serie A - CanMNT is just a distraction right now". 

Again, this is all fictitious speculation. I have no idea where his head is at but it's fun to think about. He is such an enigma. 

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Obviously I don't know him personally, so this is just speculation but.... my impression of Cavallini is that he is a glory hunter. That he wants to be part of something big and important. That is more important than representing his country (for him). Perhaps that is why he turned down past invites to focus on his club football. Can't have those little pesky Canada camps get in the way of his rise to the top, right?

Now, if he was to move up a level and actually cement himself as an important player at say Quito or Penarol, is that actually good for us? Does he look in the mirror and say "now THIS is my level - I finally made it...now let me accept a call and show the CSA what a real striker looks like"? Or, does he say to himself "now I NEED more - I need to play for a Boca or River Plate or play in La Liga / Serie A - CanMNT is just a distraction right now". 

Again, this is all fictitious speculation. I have no idea where his head is at but it's fun to think about. He is such an enigma. 

You are describing what I would expect from any player, an upward curve and ambition. Including national team play. 

Maybe I am in a generous (ie. less petty) mood, but I am not worried about this guy.  He is honing his craft, and has the potential to be a striker that would be above average for us.  He is cap-tied to us, so if he gets the itch for international footy, he can earn a spot on our team.  And if not, fuck him.  No biggie either way IMO.

I am not an advocate of closing the door on him forever.  But no groveling.  He will only ever be as motivated to play for us as he chooses to be.  The main thing is that he is firmly cap-tied to Canada, so it comes down to a yes or no question for him.  And if the answer is "yes" at some point, he can come back and prove his worth.  He certainly isn't killing it so hard that we need to fall all over ourselves to win him back.

On 08/01/2017 at 10:59 AM, Obinna said:

I'd agree but he openly regrets playing for Canada so I'm sure that plays a big part in him rarely showing up

5 hours ago, matty said:

I'd agree but he openly regrets playing for Canada so I'm sure that plays a big part in him rarely showing up

I thought he said he was misquoted about that and it wasn't true?

"I’ll make it clear: I never stated or said that I would not play for the team again,” he said. “Regretting playing for the team, I never said. I don’t know what the translation was there. Maybe someone translated that interview wrong; they got the wrong message, I guess."

6 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

"I’ll make it clear: I never stated or said that I would not play for the team again,” he said. “Regretting playing for the team, I never said. I don’t know what the translation was there. Maybe someone translated that interview wrong; they got the wrong message, I guess."

Wasn't aware of this 

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

A few Spanish speakers here said what was written in the interview was correct, so no translation error. The reporter exagerrating would be the only likely excuse. That said, it doesn't matter to me as long as he wants to play for us.

The point is that signing for Peñarol now, at this stage, is huge, it is as big as going to mid-level Argentina. He is now in the spotlight. Many of his fellow players will be internationals now, he can stay training with the u-19s and subs when they are called away on a Fifa date, or decide on travelling himself for Canada. His choice.

Another thing, given how dominant Nacional and Peñarol are (similar to Rangers and Celtic in Scotland), he is going to get more scoring chances, will likely increase his numbers. That said, Peñarol came third to last in the 16 team table this last season (fall), so they are seriously underperforming.

Just to get a picture, here is what rsssf says about league winners in Uruguay (three of Danubio's titles are from this century however):

39 Peñarol 

35 Nacional

4 Danubio 
   Defensor Sporting (includes Defensor)

1 Bella Vista 
   Central Español 
   Progreso

NB: all teams are from Montevideo