Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

17 hours ago, Big_M said:

Has played 7 league games this season, 5 starts and scored 2 goals, 1 of them a penalty.

Before we start penciling him in as a national team starter, that is not a very good strike rate particularly in a league like Uruguay. He has also lost his starting position and it seems like he was expected to be the starting striker at the start of the season. The 5 starts were the first 5 games of the season and he played 90 minutes each game but the last two games he has come in as a sub around the 70th minute. We are not that deep at striker and should be taking a look at everyone but so far this season he hasn't made a very good case for himself as a selection.

9 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I  would  not  mind  seeing  a  both  Larin  and  Cavalinni    as  striker  partnership  with  Tiebert  ad  Osorio  in  the  Midfield

I  somewhat  agree  with  you.  That  would  be  decent  attacking  force

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Before we start penciling him in as a national team starter, that is not a very good strike rate particularly in a league like Uruguay. He has also lost his starting position and it seems like he was expected to be the starting striker at the start of the season. The 5 starts were the first 5 games of the season and he played 90 minutes each game but the last two games he has come in as a sub around the 70th minute. We are not that deep at striker and should be taking a look at everyone but so far this season he hasn't made a very good case for himself as a selection.

Sounds like he's at that point in his club career that's ripe for the CMNT (as like previous fence sitters). 

2 hours ago, yothat said:

is uruguay first division as good as mls? 

I wouldn't say so....but I can say a lot of their top performers move onto better clubs, who are in better leagues than the MLS. I can also say Penarol has more clout than Orlando City in world football.

44 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Did you just- in a superficial and roundabout way - compare Larin to Neymar???

*ducks*

Hey the similiraties are there!!

Look im not debating about Larin vs. Lucas, but stating the obvious that Larin can't bare all the goal scoring weight, and Cavalini performing the way he is...we're stronger with our two best strikers available.

I hate to be the spoilsport again but while it is good that he has started to score and I do think he should be selected since we do not have a lot of strikers, one has to put this in context. The defending on both goals is atrocious. Yes one can find defensive mistakes in goals from all leagues but this defending is ridiculously terrible. Also Penarol got a red card in the 28th minute of the game while the score was 0-0. In what type of league does a team a man down for most of the game win 4-0? Sud America is the 2nd worst team in the league with a record of 1 win, 3 draws and 5 defeats in 9 games and a goal differential of minus 13 (9 goals, 22 against). I hope he continues to score and comes to the national team and scores a lot of goals for us but I need to see him score at a higher level than what I see from the Uruguay league before I am convinced of his quality.

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

I hate to be the spoilsport again but while it is good that he has started to score and I do think he should be selected since we do not have a lot of strikers, one has to put this in context. The defending on both goals is atrocious. Yes one can find defensive mistakes in goals from all leagues but this defending is ridiculously terrible. Also Penarol got a red card in the 28th minute of the game while the score was 0-0. In what type of league does a team a man down for most of the game win 4-0? Sud America is the 2nd worst team in the league with a record of 1 win, 3 draws and 5 defeats in 9 games and a goal differential of minus 13 (9 goals, 22 against). I hope he continues to score and comes to the national team and scores a lot of goals for us but I need to see him score at a higher level than what I see from the Uruguay league before I am convinced of his quality.

While the defending was poor, "particularly atrocious" is inaccurate to say the least. Check out the first goal conceded in the Man City - Arsenal game for example, or the second goal Arsenal concedes in the same game, or the first the goal the Whitecaps conceded, or numerous other goals conceded over the weekend (and indeed on any weekend) in various leagues around. I would argue that the attackers took advantage of the opportunities much better than, say, the Whitecaps did on a couple of occasions during the limited minutes I watched. Given that the Galaxy concede 4, I have to wonder if their defence got any better after I stopped watching?

I have no idea of how Uruguay's league compares to MLS, NASL or any other league for that matter so I can't speak to level as I only see very limited Cavalini related highlights, but the defending you reference as particularly atrocious regularly occurs in MLS and the English Premier League to name 2 I can judge.

• 2 months later...
51 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I predict in the next month Cavallini will be interviewed and will explain that he was available for selection since the Ghana match and it was Floro/Findlay who didn't call him.

That wouldnt surprise me, Floro did seem to carry around grudges.  

On 3/30/2017 at 8:33 PM, gigi riva said:

I  would  not  mind  seeing  a  both  Larin  and  Cavalinni    as  striker  partnership  with  Tiebert  ad  Osorio  in  the  Midfield

Me as well. I believe a 442 diamond is our best formation from the start (our best/most experienced mids are central players) but can adapt to a 433 with 1 sub quite easily.

7 hours ago, ThiKu said:

Me as well. I believe a 442 diamond is our best formation from the start (our best/most experienced mids are central players) but can adapt to a 433 with 1 sub quite easily.

Exactly.. then if they don't work up front we bring AJH off the bench and he will score ;)

Excited he us hopefully back in the fold. With Ricketts doing ok at Toronto, Haber remembering how to score and hopefully zanatta/hamilton coming through we have a lot of options up top..mostly c and d grade options but options!

11 hours ago, ThiKu said:

a 4-4-2 diamond robs us of wingers which is what we have a crap ton of. Hoilett, Edwards, Aird wouldn't work in a 4-4-2 diamond.