Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

3 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

America teaches kids an "American first" mentality, hence the melting pot phrase. We don't do that here in Canada. We are told from a young age that we embrace multiculturalism.

While true, the America first idea rarely (I find) results in the removal of one celebrating their heritage stateside. As I said, they are more aggressively patriotic but the heritage thing seems pretty common, if not as common, there as well.

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Am I the only one who's only ever seen myself as Canadian? Now, given that I'm 3rd generation on one side and pre-date Canada's founding on the other side, I think my scenario is quite rare.

No, you are not the only one.  I say Canadian and then get asked again what my background is.  So I say again, I AM CANADIAN.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

Am I the only one who's only ever seen myself as Canadian? Now, given that I'm 3rd generation on one side and pre-date Canada's founding on the other side, I think my scenario is quite rare.

I'm Canadian too. Both parents born abroad (mom England, dad France) and i even have French citizenship, but i always say I am Canadian. I do say where my parents are from, but repeat that I am Canadian (never been to England, been to France 6 times) and that i would not fit in at all in either of my parents countries.

edit: OK, "fit in" is maybe not the right word. I would stick out as obviously not from the culture is probably more appropriate.

Edited by jpg75

4 hours ago, shermanator said:

100% Canadian. 3rd generation on one side, 8th on the other side. (The Frenchy side of the family landed here in the late 1600s.) And I got a smidgen of aboriginal blood too, which means part of me goes WAY back to Turtle Island.

Always find angst about multiculturalism a bit weird when I see it on a soccer board. Can distinctly remember being asked in quite aggressive terms by work colleagues things like, "why do you play soccer, don't you want to be a Canadian?" about 25 to 30 years ago before the youth soccer registration boom got into full swing and ironically enough their kids/grandkids started playing the game and the questions changed to requests to explain things like the offside rule, along with hearing lots of bs about hockey being the manly Canadian game while soccer was for.... If a 1950s assimilationist approach had consistently applied, we'd still be in the era when local municipalities would provide and maintain unused pristine baseball diamonds in local parks but no soccer fields despite the few that were available elsewhere being in constant demand.

Canada is such a quagmire when it comes to soccer, but I think it's interesting to compare us with the Americans, who take a "melting pot" approach to immigrants versus our "mosaic" model. That is the drawback with our multiculturalism - we encourage new Canadians to embrace their old country first and Canada second. The affects go beyond the football pitch, but speaking strictly about soccer, it becomes annoying to have so many duel nationals defect to other nations. I don't think it's just because we suck. 

On January 19, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Kent said:

I think people find "Canadian" an unsatisfying answer unless you are First Nations because when people ask where you are from or what your heritage is, I think they often want to know answers to questions like "why do you look like you do?" and "where did you get that name from?". I often say "Canadian" when I'm asked, and I don't remember ever not getting a follow up question.

Yeah, I always took and continue to take it as nothing more than friendly curiosity. 

17 hours ago, JDub said:

No, you are not the only one.  I say Canadian and then get asked again what my background is.  So I say again, I AM CANADIAN.

I just assume they know I am Canadian. I skip that part and just go straight to background. 

Stranger/new acquaintance: Where are you from/what are you?

Mack: My background is Punjabi (if I feel the other party is privy to the specific region or if I'm just feeling super regionalistic lol) or just plain Indian

33 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Canada is such a quagmire when it comes to soccer, but I think it's interesting to compare us with the Americans, who take a "melting pot" approach to immigrants versus our "mosaic" model. That is the drawback with our multiculturalism - we encourage new Canadians to embrace their old country first and Canada second. The affects go beyond the football pitch, but speaking strictly about soccer, it becomes annoying to have so many duel nationals defect to other nations. I don't think it's just because we suck. 

I think the US, despite being a melting pot, still faces the same issues we do with all of the above even though they got stuff we lack in a somewhat competent national team and a professional league. This will continue until both countries improve dramatically.

Edited by Macksam

I don't mean to keep this derail going but I have always taken an interest in this discussion and feel I am in the minority among my European friends. I like to promote that I feel Canadian first as much as possible. My standard answer to the question is "I was born in Canada but my Parents were Italian Immigrants". I feel this does a good job of explaining I feel I'm a Canadian First but am still proud of my family's heritage. It also answers what the person is really asking, which because of my appearance is usually "Which part of the Mediterranean do you come from?". I know they have no interest in hearing that I'm Canadian whether I was born here or not but I feel it's important to try to promote a Canada First mentality.

21 hours ago, shermanator said:

I have only ever felt Canadian, I am so sure of my identity I remember saying I wanted the Soviets to win during the Canada-Russia hockey series, just to piss people off. I guess I was 13, I used to go watch the Canucks before expansion. I have hockey memorabilia from the 60s that is somewhat valuable now. Still, all these newcomers were just aping jingoistic cold war rhetoric, and most couldn't even care about the hockey itself. This was in BC of course. If you feel comfortable about your identity, you don't have to force it. I am actually against flag-waving, on principle, but for footie bring it on, I forgive it all as I see it as supporter culture, not ultra-nationalism.

My dad's mom was in Canada well over a hundred years ago, his dad was in the States first then came up, my dad knows old Van stone by stone, every pier, every tradesman. I have friends, twins, whose family members signed the original petition to make Vancouver (then Granville) a municipality, you look at the famous tent photo after the fire and two in it look like my closest friends. A lot of my friends in BC came from stock going back into the 19th century, most of my buddies growing up were long-time Canadians. This affects the way you think, for example, we always ran about Vancouver as if we owned it, when I was a teen we hung out in the toughest, sleaziest places you could imagine and goofed around along Granville and the Downtown Eastside as if it were our backyard. We never felt out of place. We are not native but we have a powerful sense of belonging. 

My mom is incredibly nationalistic and hard-core Canadian, even though she only came as a war refugee when she was 12. I often wonder why I am so anti-England in football when in fact Britain treated my mom's side of the family amazingly well, in exile as refugees, maybe it is a reaction to the arrogance about the sport. 

Another thing that has rooted me to this country is having traveled to all provinces by the time I was 18, hitchhiking from Van to St. John's. I have also worked in the Yukon, studied in Quebec. The only province I feel I don't know that well is Nova Scotia, only larger cities, Winnipeg, Halifax. If you'd just travel the land and meet the people and see the country, you'd have a stronger connection. We should have a national program to fund kids travelling in Canada and getting to know it, I mean, Newfoundland, amazing place. So stupid we have no clue.

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Another thing that has rooted me to this country is having traveled to all provinces by the time I was 18, hitchhiking from Van to St. John's. I have also worked in the Yukon, studied in Quebec. The only province I feel I don't know that well is Nova Scotia, only larger cities, Winnipeg, Halifax. If you'd just travel the land and meet the people and see the country, you'd have a stronger connection. We should have a national program to fund kids travelling in Canada and getting to know it, I mean, Newfoundland, amazing place. So stupid we have no clue.

As someone who cant afford any form of travel outside of the TTC, this would be a wonderful idea. It would help create a more national unity in regards to individual ppl. Regardless where one is from in Canada we can call the whole country home not just our specific region. It would be wondrous for personal development, etc.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I have only ever felt Canadian, I am so sure of my identity I remember saying I wanted the Soviets to win during the Canada-Russia hockey series, just to piss people off. I guess I was 13, I used to go watch the Canucks before expansion. I have hockey memorabilia from the 60s that is somewhat valuable now. Still, all these newcomers were just aping jingoistic cold war rhetoric, and most couldn't even care about the hockey itself. This was in BC of course. If you feel comfortable about your identity, you don't have to force it. I am actually against flag-waving, on principle, but for footie bring it on, I forgive it all as I see it as supporter culture, not ultra-nationalism.

My dad's mom was in Canada well over a hundred years ago, his dad was in the States first then came up, my dad knows old Van stone by stone, every pier, every tradesman. I have friends, twins, whose family members signed the original petition to make Vancouver (then Granville) a municipality, you look at the famous tent photo after the fire and two in it look like my closest friends. A lot of my friends in BC came from stock going back into the 19th century, most of my buddies growing up were long-time Canadians. This affects the way you think, for example, we always ran about Vancouver as if we owned it, when I was a teen we hung out in the toughest, sleaziest places you could imagine and goofed around along Granville and the Downtown Eastside as if it were our backyard. We never felt out of place. We are not native but we have a powerful sense of belonging. 

My mom is incredibly nationalistic and hard-core Canadian, even though she only came as a war refugee when she was 12. I often wonder why I am so anti-England in football when in fact Britain treated my mom's side of the family amazingly well, in exile as refugees, maybe it is a reaction to the arrogance about the sport. 

You write well, like a Cormac McCarthy. I'm going to steal your first two paragraphs for a short story I'm working on :D. 

Edited by Macksam

1 hour ago, Ivanovski94 said:

As someone who cant afford any form of travel outside of the TTC, this would be a wonderful idea. It would help create a more national unity in regards to individual ppl. Regardless where one is from in Canada we can call the whole country home not just our specific region. It would be wondrous for personal development, etc.

Didn't a really fast tube train that travels at light speed get invented recently?

16 hours ago, Obinna said:

...we encourage new Canadians to embrace their old country first and Canada second...

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

...all these newcomers were just aping jingoistic cold war rhetoric, and most couldn't even care about the hockey itself. This was in BC of course. If you feel comfortable about your identity, you don't have to force it...

I have lived in four different countries for prolonged periods over the years and have visited many more so can compare and contrast with what happens elsewhere and tend to see the second of these quotes as being what Canada is like more than the first. Multiculturalism was used from the Pierre Trudeau era onwards to undermine Quebec nationalism and find a progressive way to move beyond the imperial era, but it hasn't really been pushed to any huge and overbearing extent. Instead, what you get bombarded with through the mass media is that if you are Canadian, you love hockey, go to Tim Hortons every morning, shop at Canadian Tire, enjoy curling, watch the Grey Cup... In other countries the national culture usually just is and doesn't need constant reinforcement. Soccer until relatively recently wasn't part of the repertoire of things that were pushed as Canadian things to do (BC might be a bit of an exception to the general trend on this) and worked its way in, because it was something that post-WWII immigrants didn't want to let go of and when others tried especially recreationally at the youth level they enjoyed and embraced.

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I have lived in four different countries for prolonged periods over the years and have visited many more so can compare and contrast with what happens elsewhere and tend to see the second of these quotes as being what Canada is like more than the first. Multiculturalism was used from the Pierre Trudeau era onwards to undermine Quebec nationalism and find a progressive way to move beyond the imperial era, but it hasn't really been pushed to any huge and overbearing extent. Instead, what you get bombarded with through the mass media is that if you are Canadian, you love hockey, go to Tim Hortons every morning, shop at Canadian Tire, enjoy curling, watch the Grey Cup... In other countries the national culture usually just is and doesn't need constant reinforcement. Soccer until relatively recently wasn't part of the repertoire of things that were pushed as Canadian things to do (BC might be a bit of an exception to the general trend on this) and worked its way in, because it was something that post-WWII immigrants didn't want to let go of and when others tried especially recreationally at the youth level they enjoyed and embraced.

Very interesting post.

I agree that the mass media bombards you with messages on what being Canadian should be - Canadian Tire, Tim's, Minor Hockey on Saturday Morning etc. To me, it feels artificial and forced. Of course in other countries the national culture "just is", but it's like our media overcompensates for the fact that our culture has become so convoluted, as if to say "don't forget, all good Canadians like curling and say 'eh'".

All of that being said, I think this is a side affect of our Multiculturalism policy. If it wasn't for the extreme cultural diversity we have in this country, we wouldn't have this over compensation by the media attempting to iron out some sort of consistent notion of what "Canadian Identify" is.

The other thing is, multiculturalism is pushed hard in the public school system. That is what I meant by my post - that we are encouraged to embrace old world countries first.

I distinctly remember multiculturalism in social studies being described as a Mosaic, where all people are encouraged to hold on to their unique religion, language and culture. The sum total of the parts (in theory), would create a "Canadian Identify". Our diversity should not only be a sense of pride for us, it should be a national value as a Canadian (or so we were taught).

As an adult, I now look at this as nothing more than an indoctrination. There is no critical thinking or analysis about the value of our Multiculturalism policy or even a question about any potential negative impacts. Of course, if you are critical about multiculturalism, you're a racist.

When I was younger, I mostly kept my thoughts about multiculturalism to myself, and considering my Dad is from Nigeria (my mom's a Newfie), I would probably not have been called a racist or anything like that, but even back in elementary I remember thinking this whole multiculturalism thing just basically means that Canada doesn't really have a culture (hence the mass media thing). I remember being envious of the contrasting "Melting pot" model of the USA and I remember this even as a 4th grader of the (when I first remember learning this stuff).

Tying it all back to soccer, I think there is a greater sense of what it means to be American, largely in part to their "Melting Pot" model. So yes they have more resources at the USSF and they are more successful so more duels want to commit to them, but also they have more national pride than we do because they actually have a clear idea of what it means to be an American. Hard to have a clear idea of what it means to be a Canadian we you are taught in school to embrace your old world values. Then, your old world country wants to cap you as an international AND they have a better program than the CSA? Difficult choice right? Lol

Edited by Obinna

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Very interesting post.

I agree that the mass media bombards you with messages on what being Canadian should be - Canadian Tire, Tim's, Minor Hockey on Saturday Morning etc. To me, it feels artificial and forced. Of course in other countries the national culture "just is", but it's like our media overcompensates for the fact that our culture has become so convoluted, as if to say "don't forget, all good Canadians like curling and say 'eh'".

All of that being said, I think this is a side affect of our Multiculturalism policy. If it wasn't for the extreme cultural diversity we have in this country, we wouldn't have this over compensation by the media attempting to iron out some sort of consistent notion of what "Canadian Identify" is.

The other thing is, multiculturalism is pushed hard in the public school system. That is what I meant by my post - that we are encouraged to embrace old world countries first.

I distinctly remember multiculturalism in social studies being described as a Mosaic, where all people are encouraged to hold on to their unique religion, language and culture. The sum total of the parts (in theory), would create a "Canadian Identify". Our diversity should not only be a sense of pride for us, it should be a national value as a Canadian (or so we were taught).

As an adult, I now look at this as nothing more than an indoctrination. There is no critical thinking or analysis about the value of our Multiculturalism policy or even a question about any potential negative impacts. Of course, if you are critical about multiculturalism, you're a racist.

When I was younger, I mostly kept my thoughts about multiculturalism to myself, and considering my Dad is from Nigeria (my mom's a Newfie), I would probably not have been called a racist or anything like that, but even back in elementary I remember thinking this whole multiculturalism thing just basically means that Canada doesn't really have a culture (hence the mass media thing). I remember being envious of the contrasting "Melting pot" model of the USA and I remember this even as a 4th grader of the (when I first remember learning this stuff).

Tying it all back to soccer, I think there is a greater sense of what it means to be American, largely in part to their "Melting Pot" model. So yes they have more resources at the USSF and they are more successful so more duels want to commit to them, but also they have more national pride than we do because they actually have a clear idea of what it means to be an American. Hard to have a clear idea of what it means to be a Canadian we you are taught in school to embrace your old world values. Then, your old world country wants to cap you as an international AND they have a better program than the CSA? Difficult choice right? Lol

I mean as a proud Canadian I'll tell you that Tims is overrated and Second Cup is the way to go.

Just a one off, but there is nothing worse, after Tim Horton's, with them trying to get us to drink trade industrial beer from the major breweries, using cheesy sentimental Canadian appeals, when any local craft beer is more deeply rooted in the land and its values. I know this point of view is not as strong in the rest of Canada as it is in BC, where the craft beer market is stronger (overall in Canada it is 10% of total, in BC up to 20 I believe).

Still, Molson Coors is only half Canadian, and Labatts with their Anheuser-Busch afiliation is Belgian-American. I have delibrerately tried not to touch a major for the past 4-5 years. Nothing worse than using nationalism to sell low-quality products that don't even belong to the nation in question.

Edit: since we are way fucking off topic, here is an amazing recommendation for a craft beer, but German, a smoked Marzen from Schlenkerla in Bamberg: http://www.schlenkerla.de/rauchbier/sorten/sortene.html

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Lucas played in a preseason friendly vs. Plaza Colonia on Saturday, they lost 1-0. 

Late last week he was officially presented with the new signings, making these replies to questions, transated:

"I am a strong 9 and am always looking at the goal. I am in Peñarol and will defend the colours giving my all, everyone in my family is very happy about the move. We have been working hard in our attacking play and are getting to know each other, with Junior (Arias) [another new signing]. I think we are going to score a lot in this tournament. It is important to score and scoring in practice is what helps your motivation."

Pic and story here: http://www.xn--pearol-xwa.org/uc_4810_1.html

Full press conference with Lucas, here: https://www.periscope.tv/w/1vOGwgqbdlvGB (very crappy visuals)

Back on track!!