Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

15 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

I would say it's the opposite problem, they've rotated both players and formations endlessly this year. No one knows who the best 11 are or what formation they should play, they've had four different right backs this year and an endless combination of strikers.

The loss of Koffie and Beitashour along with the shifting formations has unsettled the team to the point where they've given up the most goals in the league this year. It's just a mess all around and it's hard to see the team making any kind of a run given they are usually worse in the second half of the season against the tougher western conference teams they see due to the unbalanced schedule. 

Well put! I am STILL waiting for this team to gel, and we are already at the 2/3 mark in the season. We are not a cohesive team at the moment. We need to find our form fast, or the playoffs will be out of reach. Something ain't right in midfield. Pedro is not playing to the levels of a DP, but I also feel he is playing out of position. He is much better playing deeper and launching pinpoint long balls in a counter-attacking set up. Thing is, the team is not really a counter-attacking team anymore. (They've not done any attacking for THREE games in a row, let alone counter attacking). And every MLS team knows they will keep trying to play the counter, so they adjust their tactics accordingly. The Caps showed NOTHING against the Rapids on Saturday.  

I think they need to make Bolanos the general in the middle of the park, with Mezquida in front of him. I just don't think Pedro can make it happen for us.

12 hours ago, GlassCity said:

Was informed by the same source, who said the Caps were interested in Cavallini, that he's signed a 6 month contract extension with Fénix.

That makes sense! His contract was up on July 31st...and yet he's still playing! I hope it's 5 months not 6 because 6 months means until Jan 31st which is awful if he gets an offer from Europe.

Although, 6 months is perfect for the Whitecaps...

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I've closed the door on this dude. It's one thing to come back and then flake again, it is another to actually give an interview saying that he didn't mean to flake and that he wants to play for Canada and then flake again anyway. Let him enjoy his midtable Uruguayan soccer.

How did he flake again?

42 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

What would give you that impression?

I have no way of digging anything up at this point but thought there were articles some time after the 8-1 match where Lucas said some pretty disparaging things about our program and noted (or at least hinted) that he wasn't interested in playing for us.

Then, seemingly out of nowhere, Lucas was called to the WC roster for the November 2015 matches, only to withdraw at the very last minute, due to a reported "questionable" injury - and hasn't been called or seen since.

I could have some details wrong but that is the general gist I got from reading about him over the past four years.

Edited by David C.

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

When he pulled out due to "injury" and then was playing for Fenix like a week later during the home game vs Honduras. And we haven't seen him since.

Fenix did not play during the international break. He played in their next game on Nov. 22nd so he had nothing to gain by faking an injury.

25 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Fenix did not play during the international break. He played in their next game on Nov. 22nd so he had nothing to gain by faking an injury.

I believe he played in a friendly?

also, one of the journalists who cover the team made it clear that based on his knowledge Cavallini would not be called back anytime soon due to a lack of commitment. I think the program has written him off to be honest

52 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I believe he played in a friendly?

also, one of the journalists who cover the team made it clear that based on his knowledge Cavallini would not be called back anytime soon due to a lack of commitment. I think the program has written him off to be honest

Look back at page 17 in this thread. There was no friendly, the poster looked at an incorrectly dated listing of the previous league match.

AFAIK it was a matter of Floro prefering Larin and Haber for the lone forward role.

• 2 months later...
On 8/9/2016 at 10:40 PM, GlassCity said:

Was informed by the same source, who said the Caps were interested in Cavallini, that he's signed a 6 month contract extension with Fénix.

@GlassCity as you mentioned on twitter, he ended the season in Uruguay very well indeed. 4 goals in his last 3 games.

http://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2016/11/26/uruguay/primera-division/montevideo-wanderers-futbol-club/centro-atletico-fenix/2347256/
http://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2016/12/04/uruguay/primera-division/centro-atletico-fenix/danubio-futbol-club/2347263/
http://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2016/12/10/uruguay/primera-division/csyd-villa-espanola/centro-atletico-fenix/2347297/

Are the Whitecaps still interested in him?

• 4 weeks later...

I've said it once I'll say it again him and Aleman should be instrumental pieces to the CMNT. They know the language and have a pulse on the culture of the region, the adversity faced in those countries. These should be the players we utilize. Not everyone or 10 players except striker should play defense. We need more flow, creativity and skill especially in the final third. If we can't take the game to teams like NIC, GTM, SLV on the road and come w 3 pts we won't make the hex.