Maxime Crépeau

Dub Narcotic

3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

LAFC won 2-1.

This is the goal he conceded:

Maybe a Crépeau at 100% is better positioned in the box? I'm not sure.

We'll have to be patient.  He's been out a long time, it's been a long road and it'll take a while to shake off the rust and get that game timing and sharpness back. 

• 2 weeks later...

I really feel for Crepeau.  Last fall he was 1B with calls for him to take over the top spot, now lots on here have him slotted in behind StClair and Sirois.  Hopefully he shows no long term effects from the injury and gets back to being a top MLS keeper again.  Then let the best of the 3 MLS cadre take over for Borjan.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are a ton of folks (not nec here) that don't realize how big of a deal this is.  Milan is aging out.  He is no longer playing at the level he was in years past, and I think we have seen that reflected in his national team play.  He continues to be an important figure but sooner rather than later I think Max will take over the #1 spot.  He has always been good for Canada when needed, and pre-injury he was essentially a like-for-like replacement when Milan wasn't available.  Sirois has shown some great potential/play and may be in the mix as well, but by the time the October window rolls around, I think Max would still be the guy I would want given his experience - either as the backup to Milan or even as the starting keeper.   Because that change is coming. 

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

There are a ton of folks (not nec here) that don't realize how big of a deal this is.  Milan is aging out.  He is no longer playing at the level he was in years past, and I think we have seen that reflected in his national team play.  He continues to be an important figure but sooner rather than later I think Max will take over the #1 spot.  He has always been good for Canada when needed, and pre-injury he was essentially a like-for-like replacement when Milan wasn't available.  Sirois has shown some great potential/play and may be in the mix as well, but by the time the October window rolls around, I think Max would still be the guy I would want given his experience - either as the backup to Milan or even as the starting keeper.   Because that change is coming. 

As great as it is to have DSC in the mix... I just dont feel comfortable with him like I do with Crepeau. 

10 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

As great as it is to have DSC in the mix... I just dont feel comfortable with him like I do with Crepeau. 

DSC is an insurance policy, but aside from a brief stretch, he hasn't been a top half MLS keeper. The fact that LAFC, a team in 3rd place with high aspirations gave Crepeau back his starting spot down the stretch when their other keeper is doing well says a lot. He should absolutely be in the camp next window, if not just to get a look at him, but I'd be fine gifting him our #1 spot until someone else takes it from him.

Interesting to see if they find a way to bring Tom McGill back in. He's still with Brighton's youth team, so definitely not a player we're in fear of losing to England or anything, but you figure we'll go withn our classic Borjan-Crepeau-DSC rotation, even though I think I'm fine with leaving Milan at home this time.

40 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

DSC is an insurance policy, but aside from a brief stretch, he hasn't been a top half MLS keeper. The fact that LAFC, a team in 3rd place with high aspirations gave Crepeau back his starting spot down the stretch when their other keeper is doing well says a lot. He should absolutely be in the camp next window, if not just to get a look at him, but I'd be fine gifting him our #1 spot until someone else takes it from him.

Interesting to see if they find a way to bring Tom McGill back in. He's still with Brighton's youth team, so definitely not a player we're in fear of losing to England or anything, but you figure we'll go withn our classic Borjan-Crepeau-DSC rotation, even though I think I'm fine with leaving Milan at home this time.

One could make the argument that Crepeau is the one playing with the best club right now. 

• 1 month later...

Loved the cut of his jib tonight.  Exuded confidence, excellent penalty area presence (in the 86th there was an awkward curling chip from Berhalter that he bravely claimed cleanly that many other keepers would have remained rooted to their lines on), got into Gauld and the other Caps' heads.

A strong playoff run for his club with his demonstrating more of the same level of play is great for our NT program.

Edited by BearcatSA

He's better than St Clair, since he's proven to have gotten his form back. He's very sure in the air, is a leader for his team, has little quality details that puts him at a par with Borjan. He's better with his feet and perhaps has less errors. Only missing that competitive edge from having a truly hardcore fanbase and playing European competitions.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's better than St Clair, since he's proven to have gotten his form back. He's very sure in the air, is a leader for his team, has little quality details that puts him at a par with Borjan. He's better with his feet and perhaps has less errors. Only missing that competitive edge from having a truly hardcore fanbase and playing European competitions.

I would actually argue that we don't require the European competition as our national team keeper. Our team doesn't have that kind of pressure that a team like Red Star would have.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Only missing that competitive edge from having a truly hardcore fanbase and playing European competitions.

I agree with the rest of what you said but I will be honest - I am not sure I put any weight behind this idea.  This is a guy who went all in on an extremely dangerous challenge, resulting in an extremely serious break, during their playoff run.   Is that showing less competitive spirit because it happened in North America?   Not for me.   We saw the passion he had when he had to step in for Milan and he was awesome.  Focused and effective   

Besides, I want calm, level headed play from my keeper.  I don’t want someone constantly amped up and  having a meltdown at his defence - I want an organizer, a shot-stopper, and a good distributor of the ball.   He is all of those things.   

42 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Besides, I want calm, level headed play from my keeper.  I don’t want someone constantly amped up and  having a meltdown at his defence - I want an organizer, a shot-stopper, and a good distributor of the ball.   He is all of those things.   

This!  But also need to mention he's really good at the shit-housery while keeping a level head and calm approach to it all.  You can't mess with someones head when you lose your own, and he clearly knows that.  He totally messed with and distracted Gauld on the PK's and the result was clearly evident.  

He doesn't have the imposing presence that Borjan has, but i'm not staining my pants every time he gets a back pass in his own box, so I'm really happy with that part of his game too.

MLS has no serious demand on keepers, and in fact rarely signs a premium keeper from abroad because any journeyman is fine. Maybe Mondragon was an exception, then the US national keepers who moved on, like Keller.

All you need is a shot stopper and coaches and fans could care less about anything else. The league is premised on outscoring opponents so you can blunder and it's fine, move on. There is rarely quality foot distribution, few if any veritable high lines for keepers to play behind, a few teams play out of the back but half heartedly. It'll give you only average CBs and similar keepers.

In Europe everything matters more, whether you have these skills or not. True, Borjan is actually old school and panics playing out, distributes mediocre, doesn't command his box down low (better up high), but he's felt the pressure of having to win, cup matches, Champions League. Fine, argue that he had a weak WC, he wasn't there but frankly a lot of our guys were not there either.

For me then, Crepeau has some skills better than Borjan, but he lacks having fans murmur if you clear badly when you had a pass. Promotion and relegation, national cups, that incense of European trophies in your nostrils. Which is why I argued it. 

The US is leaving behind these MLS options for a reason, Herdman stated we should too as well, I think they're right.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist