Maxime Crépeau

Dub Narcotic

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Braga is definitely on the rise. I watched 2nd half of the Youth League vs Madrid yesterday and that's a solid bunch of kids (0-0)…makes you think they'll emerge as the 4th strongest in Portugal. They had good players all over the pitch including keeper.

I think they're already the 4th strongest. Last 5 seasons: 4th, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd, plus a couple of domestic Cup wins and advancement from the group stages of various European cups.

26 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I think they're already the 4th strongest. Last 5 seasons: 4th, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd, plus a couple of domestic Cup wins and advancement from the group stages of various European cups.

I know they have been up there historically, from watching the European competitions for decades. But that city is small, not even 200,000, and it's not like there are nearby urban centres, it is not a big metropolitan area. But as I mentioned I was there last month, they are spending on the offices and training centre, the stadium is gorgeous, you can see they have that ambition. The city is very comfortable and quite handsome. All fine, but it will be hard-pressed to get anywhere near the big three, from the largest cities.

Portugal is still a great starting league for Canadians, like Belgium or Netherlands; it is also like them, very compact and easy to scout, travel is not hard, the environment for the game is ideal and you will face enough powerhouse teams to be tested. And for a guy like Crepeau, precisely because of the playing style, height may not be as big as factor as it is not that sort of football culture and even the strikers are not huge targets barging into you.

48 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I know they have been up there historically, from watching the European competitions for decades. But that city is small, not even 200,000, and it's not like there are nearby urban centres, it is not a big metropolitan area. But as I mentioned I was there last month, they are spending on the offices and training centre, the stadium is gorgeous, you can see they have that ambition. The city is very comfortable and quite handsome. All fine, but it will be hard-pressed to get anywhere near the big three, from the largest cities.

Portugal is still a great starting league for Canadians, like Belgium or Netherlands; it is also like them, very compact and easy to scout, travel is not hard, the environment for the game is ideal and you will face enough powerhouse teams to be tested. And for a guy like Crepeau, precisely because of the playing style, height may not be as big as factor as it is not that sort of football culture and even the strikers are not huge targets barging into you.

Yeah, there's definitely still a gap between the big 3 and 4th. But they seem to always be well managed, and being in a smaller town (outside the orbit of the big 3) has it's advantages.

Definitely think the league is a good landing spot for any Canadian talent. Would prefer Portugal over Belgium for sure, and an argument to be made over the Netherlands too.

On 10/23/2023 at 1:37 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Being Jamaica's goalkeeper counts for something in a CONCACAF context. The entire sport of soccer doesn't revolve around England.

Sure, but no one knew him aside from CONCACAF fans. Not exactly a target demographic if you’re looking to sell tickets. 

Halifax signed Jan Michael Williams but he was never a draw even in CPL. Not like Halifax needed one anyways with their success. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

• 5 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, costarg said:

Ya, ok, if you're into saves and stuff like that, but we need Borjan's "experience".  

I quite like this post because it hits the right button but I think the challenge in dropping Borjan is there is no clear leader on the team.

Now, maybe Borjan's leadership failed us against Jam, but you could see he has the personality and authority to command the team's attention and try to influence how they play out the match. Who is captain material? Who has the moral heft and chutzpah that Borjan has?

And leaving leadership aside, how many intense, tough, foreign matches has Crepeau played in in his 15 games? Two? Azteca and Panama? Crepeau's experience has been almost all North America - not exactly training for the big leagues or top moments.

I agree at some point we need to move on but I don't blame people for feeling like we'd be putting the cat trainer in with the lions.

Moving on from Borjan isn't just about switching a goalie - it's also about identifying and fostering a new team leader, and transitioning the interpersonal focus and structure of the team. And on a team that was all about "brotherhood" (vomit) that's a big task.

It's half soccer and half HR :)

Edited by The Real Marc

17 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

I quite like this post because it hits the right button but I think the challenge in dropping Borjan is there is no clear leader on the team.

Who is captain material? Who has the authority and experience and chutzpah that Borjan has?

David was captain for Lille just this weekend, he's young but still very experienced and has seen it all. 

Not sure what he's like in the dressing room, but Stache also comes to mind with this on-field style. 

Or don't even look that far and let the new keeper keep the armband, Crepeau is also a leader type, winner, very appreciated by his teammates. 

I can be wrong on this one, but I think Miller also wore the band with CFM once or twice? 

Or a less popular opinion, the star of the show, Davies.  Personally I'm not a fan as I feel he does better when he sticks to focusing on his game, otherwise he tries to do too much.  But he's definitely a leader on the field and off.

Back to my main point, I feel the team leadership and experience which includes Borjan are a massive part of the problem we're having.  The ball juggling, player attack and just lackadaisical ball handling are exactly what we need to turn the page on.  The starting games slow, falling asleep on set pieces, too many guys bombing up the field at the same time are part of what a captain needs to monitor and control as well as the coach.  

Just want to add, the days where the captain needs to be the loudest or most intimidating are gone.  I'll take level headed and experienced over Borjan all day and any day.

Edited by costarg

14 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

And leaving leadership aside, how many intense, tough, foreign matches has Crepeau played in in his 15 games? Two? Azteca and Panama? Crepeau's experience has been almost all North America - not exactly training for the big leagues or top moments.

I agree at some point we need to move on but I don't blame people for feeling like we'd be putting the cat trainer in with the lions.

This is partly why it's probably good that CMNT will be playing group matches in the next Nations League. Consistent schedule against sides we should be beating but close enough that we still have to work for it. I think it makes sense to get Crepeau some of these matches, especially if they're against the likes of Honduras or Guatemala, and let another keeper (St Clair maybe) handle the Guadeloupes and Guyanas of the world.

I like the idea of Borjan but he's no longer a good shot-stopper and is there purely for experience and leading, at least seemingly at this stage. I imagine someone like Eustaquio steps up for captain in the future, but that's an aside.

When we talk about leadership, what does Borjan have that makes him the right leader for the team, at least to the extent that he has to keep starting? I get it- he’s a great guy, he’s a character, he’s definitely the type of guy I’d love to work with whether it was on a team or in an office- I think he can be a really good presence during tough moments. That said, I think as our talent improves, great players want to be led by example, not by sermon. Davies, David, our other champions league players, how motivated are they gonna be when the guy who is rallying the troops is the player who made the mistakes that the team needs to rally back from? 

Borjan is CANMNT’s Draymond Green. Legend, his contributions will never be forgotten, when he’s on, he’s really on, but when he’s off, the stupid mistakes and silly business catch up quickly and to go to the media after and lament about the performance and how the team is feeling- brother that is on YOU! 

Anointing Davies captain right now feels wrong, but I think our most important players would respect a leader who can lead through his play, not just in the dressing room. If Larin was 10% less quiet, he’d be my pick. Eustaquio would be a good captain too. 

At the 2026 world cup the core leadership group will be Davies, Eustaquio, David and co. So why wait? Let’s rip the band aid off right now so by next world cup everybody’s in the right role. Of course there will be growing pains but the longer you wait, the less time you have to ease on those new leadership roles. 

That doesn’t mean not call up Borjan, Osorio or Vittoria but if they are not on the field at critical Times (coming back in a game, securing a lead, etc.) other players will learn to be more vocal and take the space left by those veterans.

I get the leadership thing but I don’t think he is the only one who can do it.  And to be frank, leadership isn’t a quality that keeps the ball out of the net.  And first and foremost, that is what I want from a keeper.

I love Borjan and his sweatpants, and I absolutely appreciate his contributions. He made some game-saving stops at Iceteca that preserved that historic result.  But it is time for Crepeau to be given a chance to make an impact.  It isn’t some premature transition - he is in excellent form, has put in his time as backup, and did very well when called on in the past.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

4 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

IAnd leaving leadership aside, how many intense, tough, foreign matches has Crepeau played in in his 15 games? Two? Azteca and Panama? Crepeau's experience has been almost all North America - not exactly training for the big leagues or top moments.

The play-in game is in Dallas/Frisco, so he wouldn't be dealing with a heavy away crowd.  And he was part of pulling of the draw in Azteca, one of the most difficult (if not the most difficult) away venues in the region.

I also don't think anyone is saying "don't call up Borjan at all".   He can still provide some leadership during training and in the dressing room.  But on the field, he's just not stopping as much as he used to and his "leadership" is what helped kick off the meltdown against Jamaica.

Honestly, if Crepeau hadn't picked up that brutal injury he might already have supplanted Borjan.

5 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Now, maybe Borjan's leadership failed us against Jam, but you could see he has the personality and authority to command the team's attention and try to influence how they play out the match. Who is captain material? Who has the moral heft and chutzpah that Borjan has?

Moving on from Borjan isn't just about switching a goalie - it's also about identifying and fostering a new team leader, and transitioning the interpersonal focus and structure of the team. And on a team that was all about "brotherhood" (vomit) that's a big task.

It's half soccer and half HR :)

Re: intense foreign pressure- Borjan has probably played more away games at Partizan stadium, probably one of the most difficult away games in all of soccer, and has had to face the equally insane home crowd at Red Star’s Rajko Mitic stadium, and despite that, we haven’t had really much to show for it over the last year and a half. To Crepeau’s credit, and I say this as someone who probably doesn’t give MLS its fair credit too often, the championship game he won for LA, where he sacrificed his leg and a season of play during his prime, is probably a more important game than a majority of our players have ever played, and MLS or not, the crowd during a league final is insane. 

With all this talk of intangibles, I think those intangibles have to compliment the player’s ability, or else he’s just a motivator taking up a roster spot- a John Herdman on cleats if you will. Crepeau is 29, he has 4 full seasons as a starter for some very good MLS teams, and while Borjan is experienced and is a Red Star club legend, has played champions league, all that, we also need to remember that >90% of Milan’s experience comes vs. Serbian teams not named Partizan, and from what I’ve seen myself and heard from others, those are generally teams closer to CPL quality than MLS.

Regardless of the Borjan vs Crepeau debate, I feel that there is a sizeable gap between Crepeau and his Canadian MLS competitors.  In particular, under a new head coach at his club, St. Clair needs to prove that he is a big part of the solution going forward and not part of last year's problem.  Sirois going into a second season as a starter has to solidify his place also under a new head coach.