Match Thread: October 28, 2023 - Playoffs - Final - Forge v Cavalry

narduch

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't know. Hard for me to get excited about a different team in this league whose every player is less talented surely less paid than all of Hamilton's starters and most of their bench.

Your sourness towards Forge is kind of proving my theory!

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

I don't believe you.  Take a breath, enjoy the offseason, then you'll be back because you're a sucker like the rest of us. 

When the league releases the salary cap compliance figures maybe I'll be able to talk myself back into it. But I doubt it.

Not the result that was the best for the league but congrats to Forge for doing it once again.

My beef with Forge isn't so much that they are the league's flagship club, its that they are kinda not doing for the CPL what a flagship club is supposed to do for their league...

You'd expect the flagship club to boost the league's attendance number. Fair enough, Forge is doing well this year in that sense but that's a new development. Before that, they tended to be more in the middle of the pack and Halifax has always been the example to follow on that front anyway.

You'd expect the flagship club to boost the league's prestige by getting results against clubs in other leagues more then any other clubs in CPL by far. Credit where credit is due, the run in the CONCACAF league was good but Forge has yet pull an upset against an MLS/LigaMx club, despite having arguably the perfect occasion in the ''2020 Canadian Championship'', with a game in Hamilton, TFC being a mess at that time and the game being massive for Forge while the only shit TFC gave was to not loose against a CPL club. 

You'd expect, and for me that's the most important since that was the core justification for the CSB deal that allowed the CPL to come into being, to be a leader in CPL in helping players get to a higher level. Forge has accomplished precious little in that front IMO, and its Cavalry who did the most.

Like, if you are going to be the big guy then you ought to fulfill the big guy's role properly...

In the Uber going home 

what a game and advert for the league - 3 cracker goals scored 

Went  to Cavalry Forge first CPL champ in Calgary and tonight as then, Forge are better 
margins are thin but Hammer are deserving 

Props to Calgary fans who made the roadie too! Nice job foot soldiers ! 

33 minutes ago, phil03 said:

Not the result that was the best for the league but congrats to Forge for doing it once again.

My beef with Forge isn't so much that they are the league's flagship club, its that they are kinda not doing for the CPL what a flagship club is supposed to do for their league...

You'd expect the flagship club to boost the league's attendance number. Fair enough, Forge is doing well this year in that sense but that's a new development. Before that, they tended to be more in the middle of the pack and Halifax has always been the example to follow on that front anyway.

You'd expect the flagship club to boost the league's prestige by getting results against clubs in other leagues more then any other clubs in CPL by far. Credit where credit is due, the run in the CONCACAF league was good but Forge has yet pull an upset against an MLS/LigaMx club, despite having arguably the perfect occasion in the ''2020 Canadian Championship'', with a game in Hamilton, TFC being a mess at that time and the game being massive for Forge while the only shit TFC gave was to not loose against a CPL club. 

You'd expect, and for me that's the most important since that was the core justification for the CSB deal that allowed the CPL to come into being, to be a leader in CPL in helping players get to a higher level. Forge has accomplished precious little in that front IMO, and its Cavalry who did the most.

Like, if you are going to be the big guy then you ought to fulfill the big guy's role properly...

Well here is a way that Forge may have fulfilled that role of flagship club. I was at the TFC match you mentioned and a group of 10-11 year old boys were sitting behind me. Halfway though the game with forge playing well, one of the boys said “I don’t want to play for TFC when I get older any more. I want to play for Forge.” The other boys agreed. Having groups of children dreaming of playing for teams that didn’t even exist a few years ago can only benefit the Canadian game in the long run. I am sure more children have been inspired to keep playing by Forge too. Just because you aren’t on the ground to see the impact Forge is having doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. 

Edited by maccaliam

1 hour ago, maccaliam said:

Well here is a way that Forge may have fulfilled that role of flagship club. I was at the TFC match you mentioned and a group of 10-11 year old boys were sitting behind me. Halfway though the game with forge playing well, one of the boys said “I don’t want to play for TFC when I get older any more. I want to play for Forge.” The other boys agreed. Having groups of children dreaming of playing for teams that didn’t even exist a few years ago can only benefit the Canadian game in the long run. I am sure more children have been inspired to keep playing by Forge too. Just because you aren’t on the ground to see the impact Forge is having doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. 

With all due respect you probably have kids who now want to play for all CPL clubs now that they grew up (I heard something not too dissimilar myself at an Athletico Ottawa game), which is to be credited to the league, not Forge in particular.

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

An exciting game, but another Forge trophy is not good for the league.

I don't have any "recent" comparisons of league start ups other than MLS. But in their infancy, DC United was in all 4 MLS Cup finals of the leagues first seasons. Winning 3 of them, while also doing a double twice (Cup & Shield).

My point is, in young new league's it's easy to be a dynasty once you are the team/club that initially establishes items first aka wins.

It's easy to be sour and say they are at an advantage, but when you truly look at the roster composition of the squad, and recognize this as a great team that was initially built off of the same "nobodys"  (Henry, Samuel, Metusala, Pacius, Achinoti Jonsson, Borges) and they were able to keep and build off their squad..... it's a no brainer.

Cavalry are not a dynasty, only because of the turnover of key pieces from their squad.. even with that, they are still successful.

Its only not a good look for the league when you have clubs that are consistently horrible like the Valour. 

11 minutes ago, Shway said:

I don't have any "recent" comparisons of league start ups other than MLS. But in their infancy, DC United was in all 4 MLS Cup finals of the leagues first seasons. Winning 3 of them, while also doing a double twice (Cup & Shield).

My point is, in young new league's it's easy to be a dynasty once you are the team/club that initially establishes items first aka wins.

It's easy to be sour and say they are at an advantage, but when you truly look at the roster composition of the squad, and recognize this as a great team that was initially built off of the same "nobodys"  (Henry, Samuel, Metusala, Pacius, Achinoti Jonsson, Borges) and they were able to keep and build off their squad..... it's a no brainer.

Cavalry are not a dynasty, only because of the turnover of key pieces from their squad.. even with that, they are still successful.

Its only not a good look for the league when you have clubs that are consistently horrible like the Valour. 

Or Edmonton. Or York or Halifax, who each have only had one season where they could be considered a "good" team. And it's worth remembering that Cavalry, over 5 years, have been a better regular season team than Forge. When two teams monopolize success like that, someone else pays the price. Zero sum.

I can't blame Forge for being good. I am absolutely jealous of their fans who have actually experienced pleasure following their team. But I also can't blame the fans of the 3 or 4 teams who have never really mattered if they start (or continue) to tune out. 

Forge having a dynasty hasn't had any sort of negative effect on the league. Attendance was up and viewership is too. Quality of the league is better. We're transferring players out successfully.

Plenty of places in the world there are dynasties, but if you look carefully, their rivals weren't up to par in critical moments. Even dynasties starting competitions like the European Cup. How did Borussia Dortmund not win the league last year? Cavalry was leading deep into extra periods. 

As a Barça fan i always say, there isn't a single year we couldn't have stopped Real Madrid in the past or a day in the present. If we hate them maybe we should do something about it.

Anyways, Cavalry won the table and a trophy. And when you get a big crowd I like to see them go home happy, like I would have liked to see Ottawa fans last year.

It's all too salty, melodramatic  and over the top from @jonovision and others here.