Match Thread: October 28, 2023 - Playoffs - Final - Forge v Cavalry

narduch

21 minutes ago, Cicero said:

She absolutely is not. And that has nothing to do with her being a woman. There are a couple guys who are definitely worse. The league is a development environment for refs as much as players and the level of reffing often leaves as much or more to be desired as the play on the field. But you want your best on the field for the biggest games, and this ref is not the best the CPL/Soccer Canada(?) has to offer.

I disagree. I think she is the best ref that does CPL games now.

Lauziere and Dujic are probably better than her. But they have now graduated to MLS and don't do CPL anymore.

The remaining refs aren't as good

16 minutes ago, phil03 said:

Yeah, I am no Forge lover and I have my grievances against the particulars of the CSB deal and how the CPL is organized but nobody involved has been the head of the political of a brutal dictatorship...

The GDR comparison is absurd, and seemed intended to be a provocation. Bob Young is some mix of benefactor and capitalist, I think he wants to see the sport succeed, but also would like to cash in on the bonanza of sports valuations that have ballooned over the last twenty years. I don't think he's ever going to see the kind of numbers that we're seeing in even second tier leagues like the WNBA. USL franchises are sitting at around 10-12 million. I could be wrong, but the Canadian sports market just doesn't produce the kind of viewership that US leagues produce, even at similar levels.

9 hours ago, Cicero said:

The GDR comparison is absurd, and seemed intended to be a provocation. Bob Young is some mix of benefactor and capitalist, I think he wants to see the sport succeed, but also would like to cash in on the bonanza of sports valuations that have ballooned over the last twenty years. I don't think he's ever going to see the kind of numbers that we're seeing in even second tier leagues like the WNBA. USL franchises are sitting at around 10-12 million. I could be wrong, but the Canadian sports market just doesn't produce the kind of viewership that US leagues produce, even at similar levels.

The idea that a dictator determined Carducci couldn't stop a corner or even touch it, well the Ozz is so discredited by now it's not funny.

Sheesh.  Tough crowd...

Match built up towards the end of regulation time and produced 3 high light goals to decide a champion.  What more could you ask for?  MLS (amongst others) dreams of closing their seaon out in that sort of fashion. 

Easily the biggest crowd of 2023 in CPL.  Put whatever number you want to on it, it was an event well attended populated by invested fans.  Fu'k me.  Can I have more of the same in 2024 please?  

Can I?