Carlo Ancelotti to coach MNT?

Herdman’s most profound effect with the CANMNT seems to be his infrastructure building and creating a top down program that can be sustainable into the future. I’m not certain that our best bet is getting a manager who would be looking for one last victory lap as he cruises into retirement. I think this would be great if we were either a team ready to make it to the elimination stage at the WC or if we were so bad we needed the celebrity endorsement to drum up excitement, but where Canada is, I’d much rather someone like Herdman who has an eye to the long term development of the program.

I am in no rush to oust Herdman but this is nice to have as a possible back pocket option to pursue if Herdman ever sees greener pastures elsewhere.  

I actually think it could be a move that would continue our evolution.  Herdman has instituted culture change and has been key in transforming our side’s mentality.  After that, and once the players have matured and been through the trenches of a WC, someone like Ancelotti could come in with elite tactical abilities and continue to keep us performing at a high level.  Less “hand holding” might be required at that stage and he could focus on making us as tactically strong as possible.  

Herdman is tied into 2026 imo but I expect him to move on after. 

Unless Newcastle or a top 10 club in the world come calling I don't see him jumping until after 2026. I don't see either of those scenarios happening until then either. He has everything going for him now to risk a move that doesn't work out. He is really bought in to this country and being a part of the WC being in Canada and history for this country will be too big a thing to pass up. Club management can wait. 

Ancelotti after would be amazing, if he still has the desire when he is turning 67. Even if it is to help bring through another coach. 

Herdman will leave a huge vacuum and only someone like Ancelotti could probably cope with that and survive without everything crashing down a few notches. 

If England offer him an assistant role under Southgate I could see that also tempting him away. Hell if England crash out and Southgate is removed and Canada has a good WC, the FA could at the very least want to interview him.

4 hours ago, VinceA said:

If England offer him an assistant role under Southgate I could see that also tempting him away. Hell if England crash out and Southgate is removed and Canada has a good WC, the FA could at the very least want to interview him.

He probably has a no compete clause . So would never happen until after 2026. Unless he is fired 

49 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

He probably has a no compete clause . So would never happen until after 2026. Unless he is fired 

As much as he's contracted until 2026, you would let a successful coach go and fulfill a dream job. There's no use keeping him - contracted or not - when he wants to go elsewhere. 

Now, we certainly are getting ahead of ourselves with Herdman!  But I would not block him if he wants to leave after the world cup. Before then, absolutely!

He has a home in Vancouver. For several years in fact, so he is familiar with Canadian culture. I mean... if you can call Vancouver 'Canadian' by the standards of the rest of the country. (I mean the climate, lol). I don't think you will find another big name coach whom can boast as much.

To say nothing of the fact that Herdman to Newcastle would be great, both for him, and our program, men and women's sides. To have a coach in the EPL at a big name club, with big money, who cut his teeth in the women's game would be huge. And, not to get ahead of myself, make one small step to address the toxic sexism that still exists at virtually every level of the game. At least at the fan/coverage side.  MOSTLY outside of NA, that is. Most of my none footie friends knew who Christine Sinclair was long before they ever heard of Alphonso Davies.

That being said. Lets see how things go in November. Herdman got us to the dance, but maybe it will take a coach like Ancelotti to help us reach the next level. Flattered to be linked.

Edited by Wingback6

2 hours ago, RJB said:

As much as he's contracted until 2026, you would let a successful coach go and fulfill a dream job. There's no use keeping him - contracted or not - when he wants to go elsewhere. 

Now, we certainly are getting ahead of ourselves with Herdman!  But I would not block him if he wants to leave after the world cup. Before then, absolutely!

No you wouldn’t ! Your not letting a guy coach another nation and against you. That’s just bad business and set a very bad example. Are you kidding me ! He wants to leave and coach england before his contract is over fuck him. It’s called loyalty and honouring your contract. He has already shown he’s willing to jump ship for a better options during mid contract. How he was hired would have never happen at a proper association and everyone knows this regardless of his success. 

4 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

No - it’s about having value and respecting your program. Most companies and pro teams have no compete causes in their contracts. It’s very Standard. 

This is sports.  No compete clauses are worthless.  If Herdman wanted to jump ship before 2026, Canada Soccer won’t be able to stand in his way nor should they; he can go as long as there is appropriate compensation.  Nothing to do with respect, that’s life.

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

This is sports.  No compete clauses are worthless.  If Herdman wanted to jump ship before 2026, Canada Soccer won’t be able to stand in his way nor should they; he can go as long as there is appropriate compensation.  Nothing to do with respect, that’s life.

I can see that too if there was compensation. Good point 

I do hope the have real search though. With some bigs names in there including Ancelotti. The CSA needs a advisory board with former players, maybe former managers/ key Canadian football people to do a review/interview and sending findings or make the hiring. 
The CSA needs to grow and be better. Basketball Canada and hockey Canada has. Money is not the problem anymore.