WCQ: Jamaica vs Canada - Sunday, Oct 10, 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kingston, Jamaica

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He did well with his positioning but when you’re starved for service you need to find a way to contribute and show quality in build up. He didn’t do that. 

Yeah the lack of service killed him. In whatever way Herdman uses him tonight and for however long, he does need some. He really is not a lone guy up front. But he needs to adapt to what is presented to him. 

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

The quality of our squad depth in this window is weaker than for window 1 and that's a fact. We don't have Atiba & Larin. Both were big contributors and I'm not including Kennedy, Cav and Borjan as Scott/Cav played less than a half and Crepeau  can do the job. Fatigue and load management is key and I trust JH and his staff to evaluate that.  Hoilett, Adekugbe and Henry are experienced quality "A" players you can start without question. I would even include ZBG and probably Millar based on his recent form. Shaff starting his first game for Canada in an away WCQ???  Look I hope I'm wrong but we can't wing it v Jamaica. We need to put our "best team" out there to win from the start. Get an early goal and ramp up pressure on Jamaica and them make early subs. 

I’d feel better about Shaff starting at home vs Panama, if need be, on a pitch he knows very well and is comfortable on

11 hours ago, Joe Keeper said:

I'm trying to advocate for looking at the overall schedule and points table as a whole cycle over the long haul.

Both this and the Panama game are worth 3 points for a winner which has drastic implications if we lose either. However, a loss to Jamaica brings them right back in to this and that or a draw leaves us far more vulnerable to the other teams who will get results over time. 

Second, we must win on the road at some points. Taking this game as seriously as the home games at this stage in the schedule is vital, especially against an ailing Jamaica who will get better. Look at Herdman's interview from today; he is not taking this Jamaican side as lightly as you are. This is a massive two games for us. 

Third, take your argument that we must consider Jamaica away versus Panama home and away and bring the rest of the schedule in to this. Panama home or away will be tough, yes, but we have already dropped valuable home points to Honduras we arguably need to try to make up the earlier the better. Say we undervalue Jamaica and draw or loose to them and then also drop points to Panama, we are in trouble. We have to go to Honduras, Costa Rica and El Salvador after this. 

14 games is alot more than we are used to, but every game has to be planned for and valued the same. This whole race might come down to us making it or not on 1 to 4 points. Plus, the difference is massive between a top 3 finish and having to go in to a very risky international qualifyer (posdibly against a CONMEBOL side). 

Squad rotation as we all know is somewhat inevitable. The more we rotate the squad right now away from our best players, the higher the likelihood we come away with a couple bad results in these 2 games if we undervalue Jamaica, and put more stock in running the table at home. That may not even work for the US and Mexico in qualifyers that have demonstrated increasing parity in concacaf right now. On the other side, the closer in points we run to the big two, tbthe e greater our chances of qualifying. 

This team, if we take a winning approach to all games, could still finish second or better if we start believing we can. The team is already frustrated by not winning more already. They want this...

This leads to my final point really;  all too often Canada has failed because we dont take all games seriously enough. Its not just down to player quality in the last 2 decades or so. We have been so intimidated and mystified by away WCQers we often have mailed them in. This has to be changed now. 

I get the impression the other teams will be gunning for wins when they play us up here. They know that is how to stop us if they see us put our home games too far above our away dates. This time, we must value away games very highly, especially if we ever expect to truly break through long term. 

I agree with what you are saying. I don’t think herdman or anyone in the group undervalues any match. But people have to come to grips with the issue of playing 3 games in 7 days in these conditions. I think they have confidence no matter who in the 22 start and play that your going to get a major contribution from. Herdman will set the team up to win. Just might not be with all the stars off to top. 

8 minutes ago, top cheese said:

Herdman or anyone in the group undervalues any match....who in the 22 start... 

It's only 21 I believe.

And Herdman is either arrogant, or undervalues the match to not have a full squad (or it's a money thing).

To be fair, he did the same thing at home vs El Salvador. He could have added a 23rd player.

We should always have 23 players in the roster. Always.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

18 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It's only 21 I believe.

And Herdman is either arrogant, or undervalues the match to not have a full squad (or it's a money thing).

To be fair, he did the same thing at home vs El Salvador. He could have added a 23rd player.

We should always have 23 players in the roster. Always.

I'm pretty sure it's about the money.

Herdman is a company man and won't call out the CSA on it. 

7 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

This could be the extra ounce of concern re-squad I saw from Herdman on the media call yesterday.

That is rather unfortunate considering who else is already out due to injury and suspension. Hope this team is not too depleted. Hopefully score a goal or more, grind it out and get out there with the 3 pts. 

6 minutes ago, Cblake said:

More likely a Jamaican reporter was at training yesterday. Is anyone down there from Canada  covering the game ? 

Maybe Oliver Platt, but I think he only went to Mexico.

---

4 minutes ago, king1010 said:

This is why we needed to call in one of Akindele, Enin or Corbeanu. Too much can happen. 

Yup. Akindele would have been an easy option right? He's in Florida! That's a quick flight.

Even calling Choinière or Tiebert or a recently recovered Pasher would have been something!

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

Not to mention he would be the quickest to arrive in terms of travel time. 

He certainly would , and I really hope everything is in place to have him at least come to Toronto if they really need him. Hopefully the teams gets out of tonight unscathed. 

2 minutes ago, king1010 said:

No direct flights from Orlando would need to drive to fort lauderdale or miami. 

A very easy thing to solve , either drive, fly etc . With all those missing he should have been there, this team needs cover with everyone out.