SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

15 hours ago, Obinna said:

This.

Edit: Microsoft Edge has this functionality under More options > More tools > Cast to Media device

Thanks.  Not sure about you, but casting a tab to the TV (via Chrome) gives me an unenjoyable viewing experience, primarily due to low frame rates.  Regular Chromecasting of a video stream looks much, much better. 

On the topic itself, I can’t bring myself to vote.  While I definitely share some of the criticisms that get floated around (there is definite cringe at play), I do like his analysis and I respect both that he has been a long-standing member of the soccer community and that OS is really trying to make sure the platform is dripping with Canadiana.   Now maybe the maple syrup is poured on a little too thick at times, but it is still pretty sweet.  Hell, even if you aren’t a big Dunfield fan, I respect that he (and Hume) are former CMNT guys who are still involved and still contributing. 

In the end, part of me just feels skeezy trying to undermine something that is so clearly trying to fill a gap that we have all been clamouring for literally for decades.  Just like OS itself, the fact that Wheeler’s calls may not be perfect doesn’t negate the fact that I appreciate them for what they are.

Oh, and I can’t stand Ray Hudson.  

13 hours ago, frmr said:

I voted yes because it's probably the thing that he's best at, which is why he's doing it. He's uniquely ours I suppose.

edit: I will say though, the homerism is over the top and kind of annoying, and it seems like he tries to make catchphrases for himself, which he doesn't need to do. He's actually not bad if he just stopped trying so hard.

Honestly, I like that he tries hard. Most guys it feels like they look over the teamsheet, and maybe are fed some factoids to read off. Wheeler seems to prepare for games, puts thought into it. But maybe I just get some amount of satisfaction from the dad jokes because I'm a dad that makes the occasional dad joke too.

some people have mentioned the microphone volume thing, which is a really good point that i hadn't thought of before. i've been able to fiddle with the settings on my soundbar enough that the stadium/crowd noise is at almost the same volume as the commentary. and i do this for all sports i watch, it's not just a "wheeler-hater" thing.

sidebar: for the haiti games in june (before onesoccer got my hundred bucks), i found a stream on youtube that was playing the games with just the stadium sound, no commentary. it was awesome.

sidebar sidebar: in 2002 the french cbc commentators went on strike just before the nhl playoffs, so they played all the games with the arena sound and no commentary. it was the best couple months of sports watching ever.

20 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

some people have mentioned the microphone volume thing, which is a really good point that i hadn't thought of before. i've been able to fiddle with the settings on my soundbar enough that the stadium/crowd noise is at almost the same volume as the commentary. and i do this for all sports i watch, it's not just a "wheeler-hater" thing.

sidebar: for the haiti games in june (before onesoccer got my hundred bucks), i found a stream on youtube that was playing the games with just the stadium sound, no commentary. it was awesome.

sidebar sidebar: in 2002 the french cbc commentators went on strike just before the nhl playoffs, so they played all the games with the arena sound and no commentary. it was the best couple months of sports watching ever.

We had a satellite dish years ago and I found a live feed coming out of France 98 that was being beamed to the broadcasters.  Watched the whole tournament with nothing but stadium noise and it was amazing.  

His unintentionally hilarious best line (and possibly the funniest thing he's ever said) was that "Laryea left the Mexican defender in his waste". The actual expression is "left him in his wake", but Wheeler made it sound that as Laryea blew past the Mexican player he also left a trail behind from an unfortunate bout of uncontrollable diarrhea and the Mexican defender fell right into it.

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

His unintentionally hilarious best line (and possibly the funniest thing he's ever said) was that "Laryea left the Mexican defender in his waste". The actual expression is "left him in his wake", but Wheeler made it sound that as Laryea blew past the Mexican player he also left a trail behind from an unfortunate bout of uncontrollable diarrhea and the Mexican defender fell right into it.

I usually don't notice the stuff commentators say because I'm too focused on the game. But I definitely caught that one 😆😆😆

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I noticed that too and visibly questioned it. I guess it technically made sense.

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Maybe we need to get Ricky LaFleur to do colour commentary with Wheeler?

Edited by finchster

On 7/28/2021 at 4:51 PM, dyslexic nam said:

We had a satellite dish years ago and I found a live feed coming out of France 98 that was being beamed to the broadcasters.  Watched the whole tournament with nothing but stadium noise and it was amazing.  

DAZN always has an option for a live feed that says (Stadium sound only) but every time I click on it, I still get commentary...unfortunately.

I prefer no commentary myself. The only time I really missed it was when I went to see WCW Nitro live in the ACC around March of 1999. For pro wrestling, that's the only time commentary is really important being a big factor with the presentation and all, and Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay, Larry Zbyszko and Bobby Heenan (RIP) were all on point.  

On 7/28/2021 at 4:27 PM, JohnnyFranchise said:

Yes, it's too loud, it should not be the focal point. You can easily tell they are not present at the stadium, which is fine but the the sound crew need to fix it so it seems like they are. I think there's also an issue with the headset positioning as both Wheeler and Dunfield seem like they are eating the microphone when they talk.  

I thought Wheeler was better last night, there were long stretches where he just let the play do the talking and shut up, there were some times with play developing when Dunfield should have stopped talking and of course Wheeler has to chime in as well! My hope is he will improve especially if given feedback from the production team, speaking of which I am not sure if it is on OneSoccer or the feed from the host broadcaster but as previously mentioned the sound mix was poor, we need more field level mics in the mix, the commentary can easily be adjusted around that!

1 hour ago, reggietfc said:

so how people actually watched last night on one soccer,5-10-15k

I haven't seen OneSoccer release numbers before. Likely because their subscriber base is still low. I hope many Canadians signed up for this game and the upcoming games.

5 hours ago, canadianbacons said:

Definitely thought Wheeler toned down the homerism and outrageousness last night and it was nice to hear. He seemed to be more focused on the game and less on putting on a show. 

I agree that the outrageousness was toned down, which was good...but I felt that the homerism was as strong as ever. I don't mind a bit of Canadian bias, but at least try to be objective. He tried in every way possible to excuse away those penalties, which was ridiculous. 

7 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Maybe he’s reading our comments and getting better ? I am sure he’s on this form or someone from one soccer. 

There is definitely a following of this forum and it posters by at least one OneSoccer member, I know this first hand!

Yes, the stadium sounds were too low yesterday. If you watch the Concacaf or Fox highlights, the Mexican crowd was at their typical wonderful chaos levels. 

You could tell it was too low for Wheeler as he missed the PA announcer's first warning to the crowd for the chant and missed the booing of Salcedo till he read off Platt's tweet.

For a match like yesterday, Wheeler maybe realized you don't need to be the show since the crowd and the action on the pitch took care of it.

Dunfield's pacing was off as usual. He takes too many extended pauses as if he is going to say something seminal but it ends up being a flat delivery. He might be better for pre & post game shows but Platt & KJ are too good.

Edited by red card