Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

34 minutes ago, gator said:

I might add just like getting over the circumstances of Herdman's hire I have had to move on from Wheeler's "Do you want to win or do you want to watch Canadians?" which @Rocket Robin reported at a TFC presser!

Uh oh.  I did not know this.  I might have to re-evaluate everything....

10 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I have a stupid question: How do you vote?  I've tried firefox and chrome on my linux box, and I don't get any kind of interactive element that you can click on to choose Yes or No.

I was able to vote on FireFox on Linux, no issue.

13 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I was able to vote on FireFox on Linux, no issue.

Somehow the poll got closed when I tried the first time.  SpecialK was able to fix it and I was able to vote after that.

This site is a bit screwy for me in firefox in linux.  Most of the pop-up elements don't go away, so I have to be careful to avoid hovering over member's avatars and stuff like that.  I figured the poll problem was something like that, but thought I would ask for help in case it wasn't.  Good thing I did, because Wheels needs my support!

3 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Does anyone know what happen to Forrest and Sharman? Why they left one soccer. I love their pobcast. 
forrest was good at commentary as well. 

Paul  Dolan  and the guy that did whitecaps games was good too. 

Maybe they just came in on a short term basis?

Maybe too many cooks in the kitchen with KJ, Ollie, Andy, Hume, Dunfield, Wheeler AND Sharman/Forrest?

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Maybe they just came in on a short term basis?

Maybe too many cooks in the kitchen with KJ, Ollie, Andy, Hume, Dunfield, Wheeler AND Sharman/Forrest?

Maybe, but they should do more shows. Put them on YouTube if they must. 

would love to see them all in one big show. 

6 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Maybe, but they should do more shows. Put them on YouTube if they must. 

would love to see them all in one big show. 

I would definitely watch. I love them all to pieces. I am just not sure it's needed. One Soccer puts out a ton of content as it is. 

My only ask would be for even more CMNT specific coverage, especially around game day, but that's just because I am a junkie for this stuff. 

2 minutes ago, HochelagaFC said:

I don’t mind him doing play by play of CPL games.

I like him as a pundit and as an interviewer on OneSoccer shows.

I think he is too much of a cheerleader during Canada games. I don’t care if he is over the top when there is a goal but he should be more critical when the team plays badly. 

Kind of hard for him to do that when we never play badly :)

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Kind of hard for him to do that when we never play badly :)

You are right but à good exemple of that is the first half of the Gold Cup game against Haïti, probably the worst half we played in à long time but if you listened to Wheeler he was still a cheerleader. 

1 minute ago, HochelagaFC said:

You are right but à good exemple of that is the first half of the Gold Cup game against Haïti, probably the worst half we played in à long time but if you listened to Wheeler he was still a cheerleader. 

I don't recall having that impression, both of Wheeler and our play being terrible, but perhaps I have to go re-watch.

There was a 15-20 minute stretch we struggled if I recall correctly, but we came out of the half 1-0 up right? If we were down a goal in those circumstances and he was cheerleading maybe that's different.

Voted no; I’m not a Wheeler hater, I just know there are probably better options.

if there was an indifferent option I probably would’ve chose that, I do respect the passion Wheeler has for Canadian Soccer, he’s just a little over the top and he doesn’t really have a “radio voice”

I’ll always support someone who supports Canadian Soccer, regardless.

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

I am really liking Nigel Reed. He and Clare have been very good. 

Reed is "okay" but Rustad is real good.  Enjoy listening to her insight. Not sure she would have the same insight with the men (would obviously think she knows the women's game and players better) but I think she would do a great job.

Oh, and I'm not a Wheeler hater.  He can be a bit grating, but he is a proud Canadian and a massive supporter of our game. 

Edited by Ivan
added to post

15 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Reed is "okay" but Rustad is real good.  Enjoy listening to her insight. Not sure she would have the same insight with the men (would obviously think she knows the women's game and players better) but I think she would do a great job.

Oh, and I'm not a Wheeler hater.  He can be a bit grating, but he is a proud Canadian and a massive supporter of our game. 

I'm pretty sure I remember Rustad doing a Pacific FC game during the inaugural CPL season -- I can't recall with 100% certainty but I'm pretty sure it was her. Whoever it was, she was imo clearly the best colour commentator on OneSoccer. Gave real insight to the game beyond surface observations and communicated it clearly.

She has her master's degree in epidemiology from Cambridge and is a practicing doctor. A pretty remarkable career/person that should be celebrated.

5 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I'm pretty sure I remember Rustad doing a Pacific FC game during the inaugural CPL season -- I can't recall with 100% certainty but I'm pretty sure it was her. Whoever it was, she was imo clearly the best colour commentator on OneSoccer. Gave real insight to the game beyond surface observations and communicated it clearly.

She has her master's degree in epidemiology from Cambridge and is a practicing doctor. A pretty remarkable career/person that should be celebrated.

I am pretty sure it was Carmelina Moscato- Both are awesome. Also Moscato just signed on to be the head coach of FC Nordsjælland women’s team. Hopefully she’ll replace Bev 

51 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Voted no; I’m not a Wheeler hater, I just know there are probably better options.

if there was an indifferent option I probably would’ve chose that, I do respect the passion Wheeler has for Canadian Soccer, he’s just a little over the top and he doesn’t really have a “radio voice”

I’ll always support someone who supports Canadian Soccer, regardless.

Wouldn't the indifferent option be to not vote at all?

I've got all the time in the world for Wheeler. I think if he is still doing games 10 years from now people are going to be loving him so much with nostalgia. People like Rauter and Dobson and both those guys knew nothing about the game when they started. I literally think they knew that you aren't supposed to use your hands, but I wouldn't be surprised if in their first game they were shocked and confused to see a throw in. Obviously over the years they learned more about the game, and I would say they ended up being decent (Dobson better than Rauter easily).

As for Nigel Reed, I like him. I caught some of the Canada vs Japan Rugby 7s game last night in the Olympics and Reed was doing the commentary. It was my first time seeing him do Rugby (I'm not a Rugby fan, but I know he is) and it seems like he's got a catch phrase. For every tri that Canada scored he said "It's tri time for Canada!" And there were like 5 or 6 tris.