GC: Canada vs Costa Rica - Sunday, July 25th, 7pm Eastern / 4pm Pacific - Arlington TX

Very arrogant half from Costa Rica. Did they think we were just gonna let them thread longballs over the top? I know our backline isn't very quick, but we're not some minnow who they can just bowl over... far from over obviously, but they're gonna need to change that up in the second half

What a half. Absolutely bossed them, another Octo squad. 

-Buchanan showing he can play on the right without losing a step is absolutely terrifying for the rest of CONCACAF. Davies and Buchanan are going to be a handful

-Eustaquio is quickly becoming my favorite MNT player. Absolutely sublime on the ball.

-Glad to see Kaye pick it up after a rough few matches 

Let's close this out!!!

1 minute ago, PiedPilko said:

Very arrogant half from Costa Rica. Did they think we were just gonna let them thread longballs over the top? I know our backline isn't very quick, but we're not some minnow who they can just bowl over... far from over obviously, but they're gonna need to change that up in the second half

I don't think it's arrogance. This is Suarez' fourth game as coach and this deep the legs on the aging team are starting to show. Canada is content to make this a track meet.

9 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

As usual, Wheeler and Dunfield acting like the game is already over.

That seems to be a bad habit of Wheeler, I've heard him call games over with 20 minutes left, twice.  Dobbie did it once and learned his lesson, never to repeat it, and chastised others that did so.  I miss Dobbie!

6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Collective light bulb folks.. mix in all our player and Costa Rica is not on our level

Only Mexico and US are

Yeah, it might seem premature to make such claims, but it is certainly looking the case. Makes me think Honduras is going to be the tougher foe come Octo time. But we cannot get complacent, not now, not in the fall and beyond. We need to be bloody minded!!

I'm surprised by the comments, we played at about 70% potential. Only slightly better than Costa Rica. We did not have possession, did not have rhythm on the ball, were not clicking through the midfield. We only had flashes. We had a chance to force them to chase us, but we really did not do it. 

Then on counters the veterans with a sense of defending a result got carded and are lost for any semi final. 

If Costa Rica picks it up a bit, and we don't we are cooked. We have to do much more on top of the match.

3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I don't think it's arrogance. This is Suarez' fourth game as coach and this deep the legs on the aging team are starting to show. Canada is content to make this a track meet.

Playing all those athletic Caribbean teams is paying off. And, could it be that we are the better technical squad out there?

5 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

This team looks like it has developed some real chemistry, but also like they're playing with joy out there. I can't remember ever seeing our team look like they were just enjoying themselves. It seems that they're really having some fun out there.

Probably the first time they've been able to have fun in a meaningful, non-minnow match since Guatemala in the '07 QFs.

Just now, Markus said:

Very impressive. I'm sure we'll see more from Costa Rica in the second half. These are the situations we need our guys to face more often. Excited to see how we play this second half 

Yeah; they have 45 minutes to save their tournament.  Anyone who thinks they aren’t going to put up a fight is kidding themselves.  I hope Hume was right that their aging players will run out of steam.  Would potentially make things a bit smoother.  

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm surprised by the comments, we played at about 70% potential. Only slightly better than Costa Rica. We did not have possession, did not have rhythm on the ball, were not clicking through the midfield. We only had flashes. We had a chance to force them to chase us, but we really did not do it. 

Then on counters the veterans with a sense of defending a result got carded and are lost for any semi final. 

If Costa Rica picks it up a bit, and we don't we are cooked. We have to do much more on top of the match.

I think there was about 10-15 minutes in the middle where we looked sloppy and a bit disorganized but other than that we played some pretty nice footy.  We moved the ball in a way that we don’t often do against strong opponents. 

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

Agree with much of this, save for "only slightly better than Costa Rica". They've shown nothing. Absolutely diddly-squad, for the most part due to our press.  Yes, we need to do more when in possession, and the game is certainly far from over, but we were the better side this half by a country mile.

2 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Yeah, it might seem premature to make such claims, but it is certainly looking the case. Makes me think Honduras is going to be the tougher foe come Octo time. But we cannot get complacent, not now, not in the fall and beyond. We need to be bloody minded!!

Agreed, and Honduras has a good bunch of kids at the Olympics getting prepped. 

I agree that we should be superior to Costa Rica, if we play to our max. But not sure about Honduras, and of course could not evaluate Jamaica. 

We are still outside of the top 3 in Concacaf and are going to have to make a statement to get there.

I'll repeat what I said before about the stupidity of deferred punishments for card accumulation.  It ensures the beneficiary of the punishment differs from the team that was offended against.

It's like robbing a Mcdonald's on Tuesday, robbing a KFC on Wednesday, and then as punishment, you are ordered to pay a fine to Dairy Queen because you were planning to go there on Thursday.