GC: Canada vs Costa Rica - Sunday, July 25th, 7pm Eastern / 4pm Pacific - Arlington TX

Canada vs Costa Rica
Sunday, July 25th
7pm Eastern / 4pm Pacific
(I'll edit this post if the kickoff time changes)

Broadcast on ONESoccer

---
Canadian players that are on a single yellow card:
Cavallini
Fraser
Johnston
Kaye
Vitória

however,
"Single yellow cards will get eliminated at the end of the preliminary stage and at
the end of the Quarterfinals and shall not be carried over to the Semifinals of the
competition."

https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.windows.net/media/vu5ahqsc/2021_concacaf_gold_cup_regulation_-_eng.pdf

Eustáquio is available after serving a 2-yellows-in-two-different matches suspension

Canadian players that have yet to get any minutes:
St. Clair (GK)
Leutwiler (GK)
Sturing
Paton

Canadian players that are out through injury:
Akinola
Larin

No word yet on any replacements or if Cristián Gutiérrez will be brought in.
https://www.concacaf.com/gold-cup/article/concacaf-announces-medical-replacement-option-for-gold-cup-knockout-stage/

---

Suspended by getting a red card in the previous match:
Leonel Moreira (GK)

Yellow cards:
Ronald Matarrita
Ariel Lassiter
Johan Venegas
Esteban Alvarado (GK)
David Guzmán

however,
"Single yellow cards will get eliminated at the end of the preliminary stage and at
the end of the Quarterfinals and shall not be carried over to the Semifinals of the
competition."

https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.windows.net/media/vu5ahqsc/2021_concacaf_gold_cup_regulation_-_eng.pdf

Francisco Calvo is available after serving his red card suspension
Kendall Waston is available after serving a 2-yellows-in-two-different matches suspension

Costa Rica's original 23 man roster:
https://www.fedefutbol.com/2021/07/01/luis-fernando-suarez-presento-a-su-cuerpo-tecnico-y-la-lista-de-jugadores-para-copa-oro/

Injuries:
Their other goalkeeper, Patrick Sequeira, seems to have had a very minor ankle injury
https://www.crhoy.com/deportes/patrick-sequeira-se-lesiona-de-ultima-hora-y-no-jugara-contra-jamaica/
Will he be replaced?
I'm not sure about any other injuries

Any news about changes to their squad will likely be announced here:
https://twitter.com/fedefutbolcrc
https://www.fedefutbol.com/

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

After this game, so a player can miss the next game with 2 yellows.  But not the final. 

So basically a red card? If I am reading/understanding this correctly, single yellow cards have now been cleared with the completion of the group stage. So from here on out the only match a player can miss is the semi and they can only do that with 2 yellows (in other words a red)? Do I have that correct?

Also, comment on Costa Rica: We seem to play them pretty evenly. Several draws in Gold Cups dating all the way back to 2007, if I recall correctly. I can't remember the last time we lost to them in fact. Vice versa though, obviously. Someone has to come out of this match up a loser. 

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

So basically a red card? If I am reading/understanding this correctly, single yellow cards have now been cleared with the completion of the group stage. So from here on out the only match a player can miss is the semi and they can only do that with 2 yellows (in other words a red)? Do I have that correct?

Also, comment on Costa Rica: We seem to play them pretty evenly. Several draws in Gold Cups dating all the way back to 2007, if I recall correctly. I can't remember the last time we lost to them in fact. Vice versa though, obviously. Someone has to come out of this match up a loser. 

No, sorry.  That was confusing, again.  Nothing is cleared.  If you have a yellow already (the list above) and get another on Sunday, you miss the semis.  Everything is cleared after Sunday.  So if you get a yellow in the semis, you will not miss the final. 

The "preliminary stage" means what Haiti played in, not the group stage.  Got me initially. 

Clear as mud.  

18 hours ago, Lansdude said:

1613154247_tenor(1).gif.045e1b1c11d95486fe28c68f72262178.gif

I kind of hate to laugh at TGAA's expense, considering all the shit we've given him over the years (a lot of times unnecessarily), but this is pretty damn funny!

Edited by Obinna

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Let's see your starting XIs:

------------Cavallini----Hoilett--------------

-------------------Osorio--------------------

------------Piette--------Eustaquio----------

Buchanan----------------------------Laryea

------------Miller--Vitoria--Henry----------

-----------------Crepeau-----------------

This. Maybe Kaye for Piette, but wouldn't argue with Piette getting the start. 

Edit: Considering the injuries and considering we left a few big players off to begin with, this is still a pretty good starting 11 by historical Canadian standards. It is also a team that can beat Costa Rica if things go our way. 

Edited by Obinna

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This. Maybe Kaye for Piette, but wouldn't argue with Piette getting the start. 

Edit: Considering the injuries and considering we left a few big players off to begin with, this is still a pretty good starting 11 by historical Canadian standards. It is also a team that can beat Costa Rica if things go our way. 

I originally had Kaye but then I figured we could probably use some more bite in midfield to allow Eustaquio to get forward a bit more. 

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

i like yours a lot and i would go with it, but just for conversation's sake:

------Cavallini---Corbeanu------

-------------Hoilett-------------

------Piette------Eustaquio-----

Buchanan---------------Laryea

-----Miller--Vitoria--Henry-----

-----------Crepeau------------

Edited by JohnnyFranchise

26 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I like it but Kaye over Piette, who you keep for 2nd half to hold a score, or for a possible OT.

Johnston, Piette and Corbeanu for probable change up.

Just now, MauditYvon said:

I like it but Kaye over Piette, who you keep for 2nd half to hold a score, or for a possible OT.

Johnston, Piette and Corbeanu for probable change up.

The flip side is that if you start Piette and need a goal, Kaye would be a great replacement. 

The other thing I missed on @CanadaFan123's line up was Henry instead of Johnston. I would definitely go for Johnston. 

For me Henry shouldn't be first choice for RCB. He doesn't look comfortable when out wide, especially in possession. Against Costa Rica I want someone like Johnson who is able to find consistently the feet of our midfielders and attackers. He often takes up RB positions when doing so, playing little two v ones with our midfielders to advance the ball. That's where is ability as a RB comes in handy. Same for Miller on the other side, though I believe Johnston does it better. 

Has to be Johnston. Gonna be Johnston. Would be shocked if it wasn't.