Justin Smith

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Most Marseille fans think every team not named Marseille is not important 🤣

I've only ever been to Marseille out of season, or during the World Cup, all in the 90s. Been many times, had friends with studios in La Friche, even did some work there.

But I'd love to go to that stadium, which I've seen going out to see the Unité Habitation, which is just past it on the right. 

I was mostly an OM fan, and still am anti-Paris, I identify with them. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've only ever been to Marseille out of season, or during the World Cup, all in the 90s. Been many times, had friends with studios in La Friche, even did some work there.

But I'd love to go to that stadium, which I've seen going out to see the Unité Habitation, which is just past it on the right. 

Wow most I hear about Marseille is that it's very bad. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hey I am curious. What do you do? Are you some sort of Canadian expat ?

Edited by Canuckistan2019

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

cool.

Hear* btw.

The criticism of Marseille has been fed by the Front National and other neo-fascists in France for years. Because of North African immigration, the extremists feed it and if you want, you can buy it. I think it has calmed a bit but the point is: Marseille is one of the most diverse and culturally thriving cities in France.

The white French middle class abandoned it, except for the stalwarts I've met (my better contacts are no longer there, or else dead) who are dedicated to their city and its legacy; but the reactionaries went off to bedroom suburbs, coastal towns and other boring idyllic but overpriced spots in Provence, pretty places, good for Amy Adams romantic comedies, but racist backwaters many of them.

Stupidly, France chose not to put a major university centre in Marseille, it is based in Aix, which seems like a deliberate discrimination and a strategy to isolate it. It's the largest city in Europe without its own full-fledged university structure.

Marseille has a great history, an old quarter around the port that is being revived; there's that island out there where The Count of Montecristo, and many lovely coves at a hop. It has a very high % of artists, theatre and music groups, based there, like in what was the oldest factory in France, in La Friche de Belle Mai, a massive vibrating complex. People are tough and resilient. Very good music scene. Good food and not overpriced. Then you have Corbusier, and some fine contemporary architecture. And L'OM.

There is the wild Marché aux Puces flea market, one of the largest in Europe, with a huge area of people selling all around it. Some friends of mine (one Catalan, Alun, an Englishman , and Philippe Meste, French), rented a stall there in 1994 in the open area, put up sandbags around it, dressed in military uniforms, and went with decommissioned assault rifles "for sale". The French police, hysterical, came with this massive operation to "check them out". They also "attacked" the French fleet in the port. Both were performance pieces by Philippe, you can read about both incidents here: https://raison-publique.fr/1406/

I was there for England-Tunisia in '98, but was not able to get tickets. The English fans behaved terrribly, not surprising, and racistly towards the locals, who fought back (fed by the fact the rival was North African) and there was quite the battle in the Port Vieux. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43217083

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The criticism of Marseille has been fed by the Front National and other neo-fascists in France for years. Because of North African immigration, the extremists feed it and if you want, you can buy it. I think it has calmed a bit but the point is: Marseille is one of the most diverse and culturally thriving cities in France.

The white French middle class abandoned it, except for the stalwarts I've met (my better contacts are no longer there, or else dead) who are dedicated to their city and its legacy; but the reactionaries went off to bedroom suburbs, coastal towns and other boring idyllic but overpriced spots in Provence, pretty places, good for Amy Adams romantic comedies, but racist backwaters many of them.

Stupidly, France chose not to put a major university centre in Marseille, it is based in Aix, which seems like a deliberate discrimination and a strategy to isolate it. It's the largest city in Europe without its own full-fledged university structure.

Marseille has a great history, an old quarter around the port that is being revived; there's that island out there where The Count of Montecristo, and many lovely coves at a hop. It has a very high % of artists, theatre and music groups, based there, like in what was the oldest factory in France, in La Friche de Belle Mai, a massive vibrating complex. People are tough and resilient. Very good music scene. Good food and not overpriced. Then you have Corbusier, and some fine contemporary architecture. And L'OM.

There is the wild Marché aux Puces flea market, one of the largest in Europe, with a huge area of people selling all around it. Some friends of mine (one Catalan, Alun, an Englishman , and Philippe Meste, French), rented a stall there in 1994 in the open area, put up sandbags around it, dressed in military uniforms, and went with decommissioned assault rifles "for sale". The French police, hysterical, came with this massive operation to "check them out". They also "attacked" the French fleet in the port. Both were performance pieces by Philippe, you can read about both incidents here: https://raison-publique.fr/1406/

I was there for England-Tunisia in '98, but was not able to get tickets. The English fans behaved terrribly, not surprising, and racistly towards the locals, who fought back (fed by the fact the rival was North African) and there was quite the battle in the Port Vieux. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43217083

I agree, it has a great history, architecture, location, culture, etc.... however if we're being honest, racist or not, it can be terrifying. I've been a few times and I have quite a few friends/family from there, and I wouldn't want my daughters taking a walk on those streets.  You will be confronted, touched and harassed.  Consider yourself lucky if that is all that happens. Perhaps as an older man, it isn't as intense, but as a father I can say I look at it differently now.

On 12/22/2021 at 9:12 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

You got triggered and now you're overcompensating for a French city you have no connection to. Why is that? Be truthful bro. I want a deep dive in that strange, neurotic mind of yours. 

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

You got triggered and now you're overcompensating for a French city you have no connection to. Why is that? Be truthful bro. I want a deep dive in that strange, neurotic mind of yours. 

I have to say, the tone of your posts perfectly match your avatars grinning face.  I can almost hear them roll out in a dutch accent.  

On 12/22/2021 at 9:12 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

The criticism of Marseille has been fed by the Front National and other neo-fascists in France for years...Marseille is one of the most diverse and culturally thriving cities in France...

The white French middle class abandoned it, except for the stalwarts...

...but overpriced spots in Provence, pretty places, good for Amy Adams romantic comedies, but racist backwaters many of them...

....Marseille has a great history, an old quarter around the port that is being revived;

Back in 2007(?) I was looking for a European team to support and was basically browsing online; most people in my social circle went for Premier League Teams, Real Madrid, Barca or 3 or 4 Italian teams. I wanted to pick a team from a country whose language I spoke so I'd be able to understand the chants and some other cultural references; I decided to stick to the UK, France, Belgium or Switzerland. (English or French).

You basically summed up why the city appealed to me; so different from quiet middle-class "government town" Ottawa with it's cold climate and boring (but extremely safe) streets.

Sunny Marseille seemed to unabashedly embrace it's "bad boy" reputation. I was sunny Provence without being that "sunny Provence" of the anglo-world's clichés. I actually don't like the smell of lavender. 😅

It had that rabid fan base with a big TIFO and organised supporter group culture that I couldn't find with any of the English teams. I also like the urban aspect of the team; it's not in a suburb like Lyon.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Anyways, back to OGC Nice, who have been granted an extended holiday break and a bye into the next round of the Coupe de France.

Lyon and Paris FC ( Ligue 2 ) have both been given the boot.

https://www.fff.fr/article/6546-decisions-de-la-commission-de-discipline-de-la-fff.html

https://www.espn.com/soccer/lyon-fralyon/story/4557167/lyon-thrown-out-of-french-cup-handed-suspended-ban-until-2023-after-fan-violence

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

On 12/22/2021 at 6:12 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I know People who have been to Marseille, and they say nothing but good things , Sure it has its crime all cities do, But a lot of the critisism does come from the far right in France. 

57 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

I know People who have been to Marseille, and they say nothing but good things , Sure it has its crime all cities do, But a lot of the critisism does come from the far right in France. 

I lived in France for a year. Marseille overall has a bad rep but I loved it. It lacked the polish of Nice or even Montpellier but it's a truly wonderful city. The stadium is wonderful and the fans are not lacking in passion!

Edited by Tyson M

• 2 weeks later...

With his team 2nd in the league you have to appreciate getting playing time is that much harder. And when he gets it, it will be that much sweeter. 

Unfortunately Nice lose a Cup game because of both their next potential rivals being kicked out of the Cup for crowd problems, I believe, so that is another match off the plate. 

I am convinced he'll end up playing, we just need Nice to get ahead by 3 goals with 15 m left and he'll sub on for someone needing a rest.

A Ligue 1 CB would be a pretty big boost for us.  Despite the admirable job our defence has done throughout our campaign, we are nowhere near comfortable in terms of defensive depth - especially in terms of young prospects.   Even pinning down one or two really promising young CBs could be huge for us in the years to come.  

He is one we need to bring into a camp or more likely taxi squad in a FIFA window. It is a balancing act with leaving him where he is to impress as he is obviously very close to debuting. Camp Poutine (had it happened) for example probably wouldn't have worked as he had a chance of breaking through . Also presumptuous he is willing to commit to Canada at this point.

It will happen for him sooner or later.