Justin Smith

27 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

It's interesting that if this guy had actually come out for Canada people on here would be very upset with his lack of playing time/how Nice is screwing up his development by sitting him on the bench and never giving him a chance. 

I think there is a different set of expectations when it comes to what a team in Ligue 1 will do vs a team in MLS (which is probably in the background your comment given the treatment TFC get on here).   I am pretty sure the quality of players that Smith has to displace at Nice is higher than the likes of Endoh, Mullins, etc.   

44 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

It's interesting that if this guy had actually come out for Canada people on here would be very upset with his lack of playing time/how Nice is screwing up his development by sitting him on the bench and never giving him a chance. 

He is on the periphery and training with the first team, generally part of their match day squads. He will get his chance soon enough. This is all good experience for him and hopefully he gets some debut minutes sooner rather than later. 

It's definitely not the end of the world for his development, quite the opposite imo. Like Corbeanu it will take some time and I am sure he will go on loan if they don't think he is ready to break through.

Just now, bwilly11 said:

Thoughts on him getting a January call? 

Needs to have more first team involvement. Might be superficial on my part, since he's presumably training with the first team regularly, but getting into a game or two would go a long way in terms of my perception of his preparedness. 

The above is in regards to the Jan/Feb window.

France won't be on break during the Guatemala friendly, so I rule him out for that.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

He's not travelling with Nice for their match tomorrow. 

My guess is he will feature more with the reserve side going forward this season 

That's a few matches in a row by my count. I wonder what gives? Simply not ready? Players returning from injury and pushing him back down to the reserves? A bit of both?

It sucks seeing all these federations we're competing with have U20 and U17 camps and all we're focused on is the senior side.

A guy like Justin is clearly not ready for Herdman's team yet, but how would we know if we can't feature him in the youth sides? Mexico made their decision on Flores based off the camp he had this month not on anything he's doing at Arsenal. 

Hopefully if we make the world cup next year this federation can stop being amateurish for once. I'm sick of seeing our youth play for different countries at the youth level because we either can't afford to do it or we're too incompetent. Either reason is silly for a country with the population and resources that Canada has.

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

That's a few matches in a row by my count. I wonder what gives? Simply not ready? Players returning from injury and pushing him back down to the reserves? A bit of both?

I would not put a lot into it. It is more important for a kid to be playing, to be game fit. You put him on your bench because you think he's ready, but if game circumstances don't allow you to give him those first minutes, you are not really benefitting him--he loses a day or two training, he does not get game pace. 

So it's a balance, I'd say. 

Nice start away in the Round of 64 in the French Coupe on 18 December, (approx) rival to be determined still, so I'd mark that match on the calendar. Some teams are playing Ligue 1 rivals, others are getting teams who've gotten past earlier rounds that are from lower divisions. 

52 minutes ago, narduch said:

Played the full game today for Nice II v Ajaccio 2 in the National 3 (5th tier). They won 1-0

Next weekend there are no U19 or Nice II matches.

The senior team will play at Cholet in the Coupe de France. They play in the Championnat National (3rd tier).

The hope is he will finally get some senior team minutes. 🤞

30 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Do you know if he played CB or CM?

Based on the line up on the report on the Nice website he played CB.

https://www.ogcnice.com/fr/article/120001/la-reserve-au-bout-du-suspense.html

Should also note that he was captain.

Edited by narduch

On 12/11/2021 at 2:30 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The senior team will play at Cholet in the Coupe de France. They play in the Championnat National (3rd tier)...the hope is he will finally get some senior team minutes. 🤞

Not in the group travelling to Cholet. Still no senior team action on the horizon. :(

http://www.ogcnice.com/fr/article/120064/le-groupe-pour-cholet.html

On 12/11/2021 at 3:11 PM, narduch said:

Based on the line up on the report on the Nice website he played CB.

17 hours ago, narduch said:

In the squad for tomorrow's game v Lens.

Interesting that whenever he is listed in the squad for the senior team, he is listed on the roster as a midfielder.

---

I also I just discovered this useful part of Nice's website:

https://www.ogcnice.com/fr/agenda.html

It allows you to see the playing schedule at all levels ( Senior, U19s, Nice II ).

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Interesting that whenever he is listed in the squad for the senior team, he is listed on the roster as a midfielder.

---

I also I just discovered this useful part of Nice's website:

https://www.ogcnice.com/fr/agenda.html

It allows you to see the playing schedule at all levels ( Senior, U19s, Nice II ).

I'm pretty sure I've seen him listed as a defender previously, and more than once. 

But I'm not going to check. 

You follow French football, Nice was never an important team, was it?

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Most Marseille fans think every team not named Marseille is not important 🤣

Travelled with the team...but doesn’t make the matchday squad?!? :(

As far as you can travel for a home match.

Probably a veteran passed a late fitness test.