Justin Smith

42 minutes ago, Shway said:

at this point I expect him to be with he U20's at the end of March/April. 

I hope he is with the squad.

What I expect is:

20 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

youth players from:

1) Académie de l’Impact de Montréal
2) Toronto FC Academy
3) Vancouver Whitecaps Academy

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

15 minutes ago, toontownman said:

We do have those three youth players in Portugal that are "apparently" called up for the camp and Kelosha was supposed to join in Jan. So I would be at least cautiously optimistic if the likes of Dias and Smith aren't there it won't be for the lack of trying or at least interest on the CSA's part.

I hope Dias accepts call ups since it wouldn't change anything regarding his status.

50 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Fingers crossed he is willing. Potentially a key player in the spine of the u20 squad.

This is assuming Canada even knows about him. There's a number of guys who we have scouted ont his board that I'm not fully convinced the CSA is aware of.

Granted that was an issue of old I don't know if they now have people who peruse this board.

54 minutes ago, VinceA said:

This is assuming Canada even knows about him. There's a number of guys who we have scouted ont his board that I'm not fully convinced the CSA is aware of.

Granted that was an issue of old I don't know if they now have people who peruse this board.

I don't think this is an issue (anymore). CSA has been contacting and calling up guys this forum doesn't know about, I can't believe that they wouldn't know about a guy in Ligue 1.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I hope Dias accepts call ups since it wouldn't change anything regarding his status.

I suspect he would attend.   I have no idea if he will accept a senior call (assuming we extend the invitation at some point) but he is already repping us at the youth level so there is no risk to keep participating at that level.   

2 hours ago, Shway said:

okay how bout we do an update when he finally makes a first team appearance lol....I keep thinking something exciting happened but low and behold it's nothing. 

I couldn't like this post enough.

@narduch I am appreciative of your updates in most cases, but please consider holding off until there's some actual news on him that is outside of the usual. I get excited every time this thread is bumped and it's a consistent disappointment to see nothing has changed. 

• 1 month later...

After receiving a call to the U20's, Smith has a profile on Canada Soccer's website which confirms that his connection to Canada is through his parents who were both born in Ottawa:

image.png.2972d45a686c71275f0c5b6e881a4913.png

I know the French setup is not easy to break into, but I'm choosing to imagine that this is a reverse Marcelo Flores situation where the expat parents are proud of where they came from and rubbed that onto their child.

4 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

After receiving a call to the U20's, Smith has a profile on Canada Soccer's website which confirms that his connection to Canada is through his parents who were both born in Ottawa:

I know the French setup is not easy to break into, but I'm choosing to imagine that this is a reverse Marcelo Flores situation where the expat parents are proud of where they came from and rubbed that onto their child.

Now this is a worthy bump! Happy to hear he's going to be part of our program!

6 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Wow I feel so old reading his bio and seeing that Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets are his favourite players.

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

Wow I feel so old reading his bio and seeing that Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets are his favourite players.

Ehh, I'm sure a lot of people born in the 90s had Xavi and Iniesta as their favourite players growing up as well.