Justin Smith

8 hours ago, toontownman said:

He is one we need to bring into a camp or more likely taxi squad in a FIFA window. It is a balancing act with leaving him where he is to impress as he is obviously very close to debuting. Camp Poutine (had it happened) for example probably wouldn't have worked as he had a chance of breaking through . Also presumptuous he is willing to commit to Canada at this point.

It will happen for him sooner or later.

I don't think it is too presumptuous if he would be willing to commit.  To my knowledge, his only other nationality is France and he probably realizes that his chances ever breaking through there are next to none.

I know, I've said this before but he is born and raised in France.  He does have an Anglo-Name but perhaps he was raised with strong Canadian roots.  But I find it interesting that even for the fact he was born and raised in France, he only has the Canadian flag on his IG account.  To me, this tells me more than enough.  I think it is more of matter of him breaking through at OGC Nice or another European club before coming into our program.

I'm late to the Justin Smith party but this video (en francais) is a great primer on his skillset and personality. Looks like a real baller and no doubt about either the Canadian connection or his position as it is in the video title. Zero mention in the interview of Canada or family in the video, fwiw.

https://www.ogcnice.com/fr/video/119629/decouvrez-justin-smith-dans-rookies.html#:~:text=Milieu de terrain et défenseur,Gym depuis l'été 2021.

Screenshot_20220206-070147_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220206-070902_Chrome.jpg

You get to the point where having him on the bench and not giving him some minutes is simply poor player management. Irks me, especially this match. If he is good enough to be there, give him his first team appearance, he gets mentally over the hump, he also gets to show something. 

I dont know what I am complaining about, Galtier played mediocre football last year winning the league, and stuck with David. Did not bring up hardly any youth from the Lille ranks, virtually no one. This year, they are doing very well. He gets his results, but I think it is poor practice with a young player like Justin.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You get to the point where having him on the bench and not giving him some minutes is simply poor player management. Irks me, especially this match. If he is good enough to be there, give him his first team appearance, he gets mentally over the hump, he also gets to show something. 

I dont know what I am complaining about, Galtier played mediocre football last year winning the league, and stuck with David. Did not bring up hardly any youth from the Lille ranks, virtually no one. This year, they are doing very well. He gets his results, but I think it is poor practice with a young player like Justin.

Just feels like he is making up the numbers.

They have drawn National 2 (4th tier) side Versailles in the Coupe de France semi-finals. Perhaps Smith will make his first team Nice debut that game.

By the way Versailles is in the same division as Granville, the club Tyler Attardo just joined.

Edited by narduch