Justin Smith

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Maybe some more corporate money will come into CSA coffers if the mens team can keep the good times rolling.  Maybe if Buchanon jerseys start flying off the shelves.  

Scotiabank sponsors the CNL and GC but not Canada Soccer...hope they get on board 

Edited by Kadenge

10 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Well, as to the second part, they don't really. Cleary has 38 minutes so far and Son hasn't featured.

Yeah I imagine that will change as the season wears on, but it looks like the younger guys will be featuring also for Sigma so they'll be getting some sort of minutes.

6 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Scotiabank sponsors the CNL and GC but not Canada Soccer...hope they get on board 

As I have suggested before, it would be fabulous if each one of the largest eight Canadian banks each adopted one of the CPL teams for $250,000 per year (pittance for banks). The champion team's sponsor gets bragging rights for the year with CEO bets and all of that fun stuff. That is easily feasible in my opinion. Cheers!

1 minute ago, Stoppage Time said:

As I have suggested before, it would be fabulous if each one of the largest eight Canadian banks each adopted one of the CPL teams for $250,000 per year (pittance for banks). The champion team's sponsor gets bragging rights for the year with CEO bets and all of that fun stuff. That is easily feasible in my opinion. Cheers!

Banks don't work that way. It has to fit into their overall corporate marketing strategy/branding. Then 250k becomes a pittance, otherwise, you're not getting any money. A ROI also needs to be delivered as you'll get dumped when a new head of marketing/CEO comes abroad every 5 years or so and/or budgets need to be trimmed to make earnings. 

TD is involved with York United as they're bankers to the ownership group.

CIBC & BMO were previous sponsors of CSA. In the US, CIBC is involved in major sports sponsorship but I believe they have pulled out in Canada. BMO went all in for the MLS for their soccer strategy. 

Scotia is the lead Concacaf sponsor because Mexico is their biggest market after Canada. But nobody in Canada seems to care as when the CCL hits Toronto, they basically ignore it. They didn't buy tv ads when it was on TSN even when TFC made it to the final. I don't think even the head office employees got free tickets to the matches. 

3 hours ago, red card said:

Banks don't work that way. It has to fit into their overall corporate marketing strategy/branding. Then 250k becomes a pittance, otherwise, you're not getting any money. A ROI also needs to be delivered as you'll get dumped when a new head of marketing/CEO comes abroad every 5 years or so and/or budgets need to be trimmed to make earnings. 

TD is involved with York United as they're bankers to the ownership group.

CIBC & BMO were previous sponsors of CSA. In the US, CIBC is involved in major sports sponsorship but I believe they have pulled out in Canada. BMO went all in for the MLS for their soccer strategy. 

Scotia is the lead Concacaf sponsor because Mexico is their biggest market after Canada. But nobody in Canada seems to care as when the CCL hits Toronto, they basically ignore it. They didn't buy tv ads when it was on TSN even when TFC made it to the final. I don't think even the head office employees got free tickets to the matches. 

Scotiabank also has a huge presence in the Caribbean. 

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Damn - not in the squad for Nice’s opener. Not a shock but a bit disappointed given his involvement in the preseason. Hopefully opportunities come up as the season develops

Yeah a shame.  I think they brought something like 4 players that can play in central midfield and 2 CBs since he was promoted to the first team.  I thought all French football was skint. 

If they think he is first team material, should probably sort out a loan.

8 minutes ago, VinceA said:

If only we would actually make an effort to host youth camps. 

The CSA people likely don't do it because they aren't concentrating enough and are busy replying to their boyfriends post on TicToc the night before a workday.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I also wish the U23 tournament was biennial. There's a massive gap from U20 to the seniors. 

Need a Concacaf or Joint Concacaf/Conmebol u23 championship like the Uefa U21 European Championships. U23 makes more sense imo than u21 or u20 as it relates to the Olympics and bridges that u20 gap as you mention.  

Also a good place to test out whether its beneficial to combine the Gold Cup/Copa once in a while (wouldn't want to lose either but maybe once every four they could combine) as has been talked about recently mainly by pundits?  

A pipe dream but especially for our program it would be a huge stepping stone to sustain our momentum for the long term.

24 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

In the 21-man squad to face Marseille tomorrow:

http://www.ogcnice.com/fr/actualite/43489/21-aiglons-retenus-pour-le-derby

ONESoccer are unreliable in terms of which Ligue 1 matches they broadcast, but this one will be on TV5.

I hope to tune in while at work (if I can).

OneSoccer AFAIK only show Lille matches.