Canada's Octo Schedule

TGAA_Star

7 minutes ago, Metro said:

Just speculating here but does anyone actually know if Forge applied for the NIE?

The issue may not necessarily be the actual application, but the setting up of a bubble that would be required.  I could understand if that is not economically feasible for Forge but the CSA would be a different story.

Would CSA really be that much involved? Maybe Concacaf? I would figure Forge would be able to stick handle these types of things but I guess not. 

They were selling tickets for it.

2 hours ago, costarg said:

So we're officially better than Costa Rica?  I didn't get the memo.  I know they're getting up there in age, but they're still a very talented group that are great at grinding out results when it counts.  They also have tonnes of experience playing in major MAJOR tournaments together. I wouldn't underestimate their experience and synergy which are the two things we have very little of.

We're getting better every game, however underestimating opponents would be foolish, just ask our neighbors to the south.

Yeah we’re not as good as the Ticos, but I agree that winning quarters is aligned with what we would consider a success and less than that a failure.  A real failure would be to be out at group stage.  

to my original point, I was being hypothetical and yes a bit overly concerned about the replica of the 2000 gold cup trophy followed by a disappointing World Cup qualifying campaign!  

23 minutes ago, narduch said:

Would CSA really be that much involved? Maybe Concacaf? I would figure Forge would be able to stick handle these types of things but I guess not. 

They mustn't have had any idea this was not going to come off because they have been promoting this match as a homecoming for fans at THF for some time, yes a match will still be played on that date but to me I would have much rather have been watching a visiting team from ES! I would really like to know what exactly has gone down here and whether we should be concerned about hosting matches in the Octo!

1 hour ago, narduch said:

My guess is that because it was linked to the Olympics helped in the lobbying/negotiating.

Because MLS teams are US based whereas Forge's opponent is in El Salvador. All MLS players have US citizenship/ green cards / long term visas.

The border reopens for USA-based people starting August 9th.

Rest of the world is welcome September 7th.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/coronavirus/2021/7/19/1_5514869.html

I assume there are no MLS home games before August 9th? (I'm too lazy to check right now)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Because MLS teams are US based whereas Forge's opponent is in El Salvador. All MLS players have US citizenship/ green cards / long term visas.

The border USA people allowed in August 9th.

Rest of the world only September 7th.

I assume there are no MLS home games before August 9th? (I'm too lazy to check right now)

guys were talking about the olympic qualifying basketball tournament in victoria last month, that's what narduch's comment was in reference to.

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The border reopens for USA-based people starting August 9th.

Rest of the world is welcome September 7th.

Makes sense but there are home games before August 9th

47 minutes ago, narduch said:

I was thinking about Canada-Honduras when referring to the CSA.  I'm sure it was up to Forge to get the necessary permits 😊

9 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

But what did your father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate say?  😉

:D

Ramos is the Administrative and Sporting director of FENAFUTH (the Honuran FA), so he is a trustworthy source!

It's just that Diez tend to gloss over details; they are worse than the Daily Mail in the UK when it comes to the accuracy of their reporting.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

On 7/24/2021 at 7:46 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I am surprised nobody posted about this yet:

https://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/1480130-498/honduras-debutara-eliminatoria-qatar-canada-bmo-field-toronto-visa-canadiense

Diez are saying that Gerardo Ramos told them that the CSA has told FENAFUTH that the match will be in Toronto.

This also says that Honduras is working under the assumption that only vaccinated players and coaches will be allowed in 

12 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

FESFUT rumours from the tabloids in El Salvador match the Honduran rumours:

http://www.elgrafico.com/amp/futbol/El-partido-Canada-contra-El-Salvador-de-la-octagonal-sera-en-territorio-canadiense-20210728-0013.html

The match will be in Canada.

We are living in the twillight zone lol

If the absurdity of that doesn't confirm it, a win today against Mexico will :)

40 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Is it a good idea to put games in Montréal? It draws no attention and when it does, it’s in opponent’s favor.

It is one of Canada's biggest cities and we know it has soccer fans. The Canadian National team is a different squad now and it should have a much larger draw for Canadian fans. We shouldn't exclude cities based on past poor attendance or every city would be excluded.

58 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Maybe one in both Toronto and Montreal to max revenues with a bit of scarcity?

Can't really see them doing that. I think it'll be one or the other and all signs point to BMO.

Reason being I can't see it is because the pandemic management is making the logistics challenging enough as it is. Playing in two different locations adds an extra layer of complexity that I am not sure we'd want to deal with. With capacity limitations expected, I am not sure we'd benefit from creating scarcity anyways.