Canada's Octo Schedule

TGAA_Star

So Trudeau came out yesterday and said he doesnt foresee unvaccinated individuals being allowed into Canada "anytime soon". I think that policy could stretch out anywhere from 6-18 months depending on the pandemic trajectory, but that could have some implications in our qualifying campaign. Hopefully, every player on the Canada squad would be vaccinated but i wouldn't be surprised if certain nations have a decent chunk of unvaccinated individuals. Would be interesting to see how that develops.  Hurtado was just traded yesterday by Montreal because of vaccine refusal

31 minutes ago, Floortom said:

So Trudeau came out yesterday and said he doesnt foresee unvaccinated individuals being allowed into Canada "anytime soon". I think that policy could stretch out anywhere from 6-18 months depending on the pandemic trajectory, but that could have some implications in our qualifying campaign. Hopefully, every player on the Canada squad would be vaccinated but i wouldn't be surprised if certain nations have a decent chunk of unvaccinated individuals. Would be interesting to see how that develops.  Hurtado was just traded yesterday by Montreal because of vaccine refusal

To be honest, I would be pretty surprised if teams had any large number of players unvaccinated.   We are entering the months for WCQ and a lot of countries will be allowing visitors on the basis of current vaccines.  And I don’t think that CONCACAF would punish any national association unable to admit opposing team players on the basis of what is now a pretty basic public health requirement for travel.  And I don’t see the economics getting in the way - there are ways of getting players vaccinated even in countries where access within the general population is limited.  

The Hurtado case is different.  That is someone consciously choosing to avoid vaccination.  Maybe I am underestimating the capacity for silliness but I don’t see a ton of guys missing out on WCQ on that basis.  

The loosening of provincial regulations are great.  However, at the end of the day, it will require the Public Health Agency of Canada and the federal govt to allow non citizens into the country (ie opposing players).   A precedent was set with both the NHL and the Olympic basketball qualifiers in Victoria.  Hopefully, a similar exemption is provided for the WC qualifiers.  Would hate for us to have to play our Sept home matches in the US again.

18 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

To be honest, I would be pretty surprised if teams had any large number of players unvaccinated.   We are entering the months for WCQ and a lot of countries will be allowing visitors on the basis of current vaccines.  And I don’t think that CONCACAF would punish any national association unable to admit opposing team players on the basis of what is now a pretty basic public health requirement for travel.  And I don’t see the economics getting in the way - there are ways of getting players vaccinated even in countries where access within the general population is limited.  

The Hurtado case is different.  That is someone consciously choosing to avoid vaccination.  Maybe I am underestimating the capacity for silliness but I don’t see a ton of guys missing out on WCQ on that basis.  

I think it might impact more squads than others but maybe I’m wrong. Honduras for example - right now 0.5% of the entire country is fully vaccinated. How many of their domestic based players in their 20s would be amongst them? I’m guessing a pretty low number but who knows. They’re supposed to be here in September and there wouldn’t be enough time to get them fully vaccinated if they haven’t started the process. Similarly for El Salvador. Of course, I wouldn’t discount the possibility of some chicanery by these FAs to get their players in.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

I think it might impact more squads than others but maybe I’m wrong. Honduras for example - right now 0.5% of the entire country is fully vaccinated. How many of their domestic based players in their 20s would be amongst them? I’m guessing a pretty low number but who knows. They’re supposed to be here in September and there wouldn’t be enough time to get them fully vaccinated if they haven’t started the process. Similarly for El Salvador. Of course, I wouldn’t discount the possibility of some chicanery by these FAs to get their players in.

They will probably need some sort of sport exemption. They will be allowed in but will need to have passed a covid test.

Forge are moving ahead with hosting FAS of El Salvador in Concacaf League on August 4. So I'm optimistic for WCQ

Edited by narduch

19 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I wouldn’t assume players aren’t vaccinated based on a lack of access. If Honduras for example has a 0.5% vaccination rate because most of  the general population doesn’t have access, wouldn’t professional athletes be part of the 0.5%? 

The idea of low rates due to lack of access in itself is probably based on our own cultural expectations. The reality may be that vaccination rates could be low because people are just uninterested. 

On a more light hearted note, I wonder of Jerry Bengtson is vaccinated. Dude rocks a black mask now whenever he plays. Being a Honduran footballer he’s already a villain by nature, but the black mask is just the icing on the cake.

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I wouldn’t assume players aren’t vaccinated based on a lack of access. If Honduras for example has a 0.5% vaccination rate because most of  the general population doesn’t have access, wouldn’t professional athletes be part of the 0.5%? 

The idea of low rates due to lack of access in itself is probably based on our own cultural expectations. The reality may be that vaccination rates could be low because people are just uninterested. 

On a more light hearted note, I wonder of Jerry Bengtson is vaccinated. Dude rocks a black mask now whenever he plays. Being a Honduran footballer he’s already a villain by nature, but the black mask is just the icing on the cake.

But if you know (as a player) that participating in WCQ requires you to be vaccinated, I would assume that is a pretty strong incentive to get it done.  And if you federation knows that it is essentially a requirement if you want your team to participate, I assume they would seek to get the players access.   Cultural expectations may take a back seat when it comes to national team footy players who know they will have to cross multiple international borders.  

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

In Honduras it’s definitely access - they’ve been desperately trying to source vaccines and have been relying on donations (even from El Salvador).

whether the Canadian Government provides a sport exemption like they did for NHL is a good question. I guess we’ll find out shortly with MLS, baseball etc starting up

18 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

But if you know (as a player) that participating in WCQ requires you to be vaccinated, I would assume that is a pretty strong incentive to get it done.  And if you federation knows that it is essentially a requirement if you want your team to participate, I assume they would seek to get the players access.   Cultural expectations may take a back seat when it comes to national team footy players who know they will have to cross multiple international borders.  

There is no requirement to be vaccinated for WCQ.

Like @Floortom says, there will probably be an exemption for the more travel restrictive countries like Canada. The FAs would probably still offer the access to players though, so I don’t see access as being an issue. Maybe for the general population, but not for national teams for the reasons you bring up (ease of travel, etc.).

My comment about low vaccination rates being explained by different cultural attitudes was more general for the population, but it could apply to the players. Like you say though, some players may be swayed by the carrot of national team duty. Actually, I guess it would be more of a stick for the players already entrenched in the national teams.

I don't think we can just expect all the players to be vaccinated. In Canada (well I have been focusing on Ontario, likely a similar story for other provinces) the number of people getting a first dose has slowed to a trickle, and the number currently sits just below 80% of adults with a first dose. That means 1 in 5 adults in Ontario are likely skeptical or outright against it. So I really don't think we can just assume 100% of soccer players from Octagonal teams (or even players in our national team pool) will agree with being vaccinated and get it done by September.

It really has to be an exemption, but I am becoming optimistic it will happen. Not a done deal though obviously.

On 7/10/2021 at 9:11 AM, Obinna said:

If Honduras for example has a 0.5% vaccination rate because most of  the general population doesn’t have access, wouldn’t professional athletes be part of the 0.5%? 

Almost certainly not.

Elderly people and health care workers would be part of the first 0.5% to get the vaccine (hell, even the first 5%), and that was the case in virtually every country in the world

18 hours ago, Kent said:

I don't think we can just expect all the players to be vaccinated. In Canada (well I have been focusing on Ontario, likely a similar story for other provinces) the number of people getting a first dose has slowed to a trickle, and the number currently sits just below 80% of adults with a first dose. That means 1 in 5 adults in Ontario are likely skeptical or outright against it. So I really don't think we can just assume 100% of soccer players from Octagonal teams (or even players in our national team pool) will agree with being vaccinated and get it done by September.

It really has to be an exemption, but I am becoming optimistic it will happen. Not a done deal though obviously.

Pierrot - one of the Haitians caught up in their Covid protocol- subsequently posted on Instagram something to the effect of “concacaf please stop asking players if they want a vaccine”. 
that’s a guy that is going to miss the entire tournament and he still has anti-vaccine attitudes. I think this will not be particularly rare and if Canada doesn’t have a sporting exemption more than a few players will be caught up in it (potentially even some Canadians). 

It would be an interesting question re how CONCACAF would rule if:

- Canada hosts games at home;

- Canada requires vaccination for entry of foreign nationals; and

- some of the opposing players choose not to get vaccinated or do not have access.

In today’s world where travel restrictions are being driven predominantly by local public health requirements, I am curious if we would get punished for refusing entry of unvaccinated players or if it would be seen as a legitimate requirement that the opposing team needs to adjust to. I suppose option 3 would be to require a neutral venue where both teams have access (ie. the US), but insofar as it precludes us from playing home games it essentially punished us and rewards the opposition.

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

- some of the opposing players choose not to get vaccinated or do not have access.

In today’s world where travel restrictions are being driven predominantly by local public health requirements, I am curious if we would get punished for refusing entry of unvaccinated players or if it would be seen as a legitimate requirement that the opposing team needs to adjust to. I suppose option 3 would be to require a neutral venue where both teams have access (ie. the US), but insofar as it precludes us from playing home games it essentially punished us and rewards the opposition.

I wonder if the stipulations put on the players who came in for the Olympic men’s basketball qualifier in Victoria could be the same as that for WC Qualifying.  
Would have thought that it would be easier to keep players in a bubble for a one off match for a couple of days than 2-4 games over a week which was required in Victoria.  But if the federal government wants to play hard ball, we could be playing home games in the States til the new year.  

58 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

FIFA. Not Concacaf for WCQ.

I wonder if FIFA will even care. In the group stage a number of nations were fucked over by USA visa/covid rules and nothing was done about it.

Edited by narduch

11 hours ago, Ngravs said:

Whats the easiest/ most affordable way to get from Hamilton to Toronto? Looking at a cheap Swoop flight there for September. 

There is local bus service at the airport which will take you to the downtown Hamilton GO Center where you can catch a frequently scheduled bus or train to Toronto, note that the train stops right at BMO where the express bus goes to Union!

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

FIFA. Not Concacaf for WCQ.

I wonder if FIFA will even care. In the group stage a number of nations were fucked over by USA visa rules and nothing was done about it.

I guess that is in the background of my question.  If our public health rules are not discriminatory and can be defended (and I am pretty sure requiring vaccination is pretty defensible policy in today’s political climate) is it possible that any inconvenience to other nations is their problem?   Sort of like nations unable to provide current-approved COVID tests for players (who were subsequently excluded in the last round) I am thinking that nations unable to vaccinate players (or players choosing to avoid vaccination) may be treated the same way.