Canada's Octo Schedule

TGAA_Star

27 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Actually some teams, including Canada, came from a camp in Florida and played a few days after arriving 

I've never been to or barely ever met someone from Manitoba so I'm genuinely asking. Whats the culture like there? Why are they being so hard core? They're giving off a Michigan vibe  which i also dont get

I'm assuming BC Place won't have a corona passport because its an extension of the provincial government and they have stated on several occasions that they will not pursue a corona passport. Maybe the teams can step in and request? But I doubt

Manitoba had a pretty good scare during the third wave when our ICU's filled up and we were sending patients to NW Ontario and Saskatchewan. A lot of locals blamed the current Government for being too loose with restrictions. The Gov has since locked us up pretty tight. In today's press conference the Premier admitted the Vaccine requirements are to incentivize the public to get jabbed and expects it to be temporary.

21 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Manitoba had a pretty good scare during the third wave when our ICU's filled up and we were sending patients to NW Ontario and Saskatchewan. A lot of locals blamed the current Government for being too loose with restrictions. The Gov has since locked us up pretty tight. In today's press conference the Premier admitted the Vaccine requirements are to incentivize the public to get jabbed and expects it to be temporary.

Ok thanks

I'm surprised he admitted that, interesting 

Wow this is an embarrassment. 

Federal Government essentially forces both teams to walk back their announcement, saying theyll only allow double vaccinated players and staff.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/07/14/toronto-fc-to-return-to-bmo-field-host-fans-on-july-17/

At this point, this is all politics ahead of an election. Feel far less optimistic about September after seeing how they’re handling this.

2 minutes ago, BigMo said:

Wow this is an embarrassment. 

Federal Government essentially forces both teams to walk back their announcement, saying theyll only allow double vaccinated players and staff.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/07/14/toronto-fc-to-return-to-bmo-field-host-fans-on-july-17/

At this point, this is all politics ahead of an election. Feel far less optimistic about September after seeing how they’re handling this.

They are using a loop hole to play on July 17 and July 21.

Anythng after that is up in the air.

1 hour ago, BigMo said:

That was always part of their announcement.

From MLS' press release yesterday: "MLS clubs and match officials traveling to Canada will be subject to public health protocols required of all individuals entering the country, and only fully vaccinated players and staff are excluded from Canadian quarantine requirements. These protocols include, but are not limited to, molecular COVID-19 testing prior to travel and upon arrival in Canada."

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, guys. This is just as much about politics than anything else. The excuse always seems to be about ICU rooms being at overcapacity. For Christ's sake just build some additional rooms already then so we don't have to live in this nightmare anymore. You've had 18 months now. All the billions and billions of dollars spent already on CERB and everything else, why haven't they taken a small fraction of that and tripled or quadrupled the ICU supply in every province and territory? I don't get it....

End rant.

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, guys. This is just as much about politics than anything else. The excuse always seems to be about ICU rooms being at overcapacity. For Christ's sake just build some additional rooms already then so we don't have to live in this nightmare anymore. You've had 18 months now. All the billions and billions of dollars spent already on CERB and everything else, why haven't they taken a small fraction of that and tripled or quadrupled the ICU supply in every province and territory? I don't get it....

End rant.

There are doctors and nurses to consider too.  End rant.

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

End rant.

Fuck off with this shit. Take it to the covid thread

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Fuck off with this shit. Take it to the covid thread

I am fully expecting our home games to be compromised over this bullshit. Restrictions on fans, pleading with the feds to play in our own country, etc., all of it threatens to hurt our octo home field advantage. It is nonsense and I am not going to pretend it isn't just to appease you. 

Go and play with yourself over in the covid corner if you love it so much. 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am fully expecting our home games to be compromised over this bullshit. Restrictions on fans, pleading with the feds to play in our own country, etc., all of it threatens to hurt our octo home field advantage. It is nonsense and I am not going to pretend it isn't just to appease you. 

Go and play with yourself over in the covid corner if you love it so much. 

If it wasn't for all the anti vax and anti lockdown morons we might get out of this shitty situation sooner.

But go on pretending that covid isn't a big deal.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

End rant.

It isn’t just about the money required to build ICUs.  As other have noted you need to staff them - which has a pretty substantial lag (and can’t be quickly back filled in the event of a widespread outbreak. 

But more importantly, it is also about preventing the human impacts that occur when you need more ICUs.  Reducing it to an economic argument ignores the fact that those extra ICUs would be needed to house real people that are extremely ill with a potentially life threatening illness.  You can’t forgo measures that hep prevent cancer on the basis that you can just dig more graves (and I recognize this takes the argument to the extreme but it isn’t categorically different).  

[and if that argument is too extreme to be convincing, replace “dig more graves” with “build more chemo units” and you have a much more analogous argument]

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 hour ago, narduch said:

If it wasn't for all the anti vax and anti lockdown morons we might get out of this shitty situation sooner.

But go on pretending that covid isn't a big deal.

Don't you pay attention to what they tell you? We're in this shitty situation forever. Soon you won't even think its a shitty situation or maybe that has already happened for some

Besides instead of throwing insults at people, like many have pointed out, they created a covid supporters thread somewhere. Take it over there, we're trying to get pumped for the game

Edited by SpursFlu

20 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Don't you pay attention to what they tell you? We're in this shitty situation forever. Soon you won't even think its a shitty situation or maybe that has already happened for some

Besides instead of throwing insults at people, like many have pointed out, they created a covid supporters thread somewhere. Take it over there, we're trying to get pumped for the game

Ah yes. Here comes the chief covidiot

How is it the "this is forever" crowd cant actually see whats happening?  Manitoba went from the worst covid spot in the country a month ago with harsh restrictions, to broad reopening (now 80% 1 dose, 60% 2 doses of vaccine), going to resteraunts, movie theatres, sporting events all things that are now possible for us now.  Do you honestly think anyone wants all this shit to continue any longer than it has to??  I want to plan a funeral thats been on hold since April, and now I just might be able to.

And Obinna...go build a ICU's??  Maybe wherever you live there is money to spare, but there was not enough money for healthcare before this shit started.  They've closed down other wings just to take ICU overflow, ie done what they could.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

How is it the "this is forever" crowd cant actually see whats happening?

It is not inconceivable that COVID stats will get worse in Canada by September. The number of infected has grown in the US. El Salvador just imposed new restrictions on gatherings for the next 90 days and want to play their "home" matches in the USA.

We are at roughly 70% of the country with one dose and that number probably won't reach 75% by the end of August. (~6 million out of ~38 million are under 15 years old and therefore mostly ineligible for the moment).

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=1710000501

Looks like we've reached a plateau for vaccination rates. With Ontario loosening restrictions as of tomorrow, more people are likely to get infected. Another wave is likely. It's just a question of how high that next wave will be.

----

Trudeau will speak with the Premiers later today:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8030863/canada-u-s-border-reopen-expiry-date/

----

I'm pessimistic about the September matches being played at home if we had to get back to FENAFUTH by today.

https://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/1478242-498/canada-rival-de-honduras-plantea-mantener-partidos-local-en-toronto-octagonal

Honduras has been informed that the match will be in Canada - either Toronto or Montreal. And whether fans will be able to attend or not is still up in the air

Edited by Floortom

Just now, Floortom said:

Honduras in Montréal seems like a bad idea - I can’t imagine any reason for that unless they think Ontario restrictions would make Toronto impossible.

In the past we've been overrun by away fans at BMO and Saputo. If we are looking for silver linings we can say that playing behind closed doors takes that factor away.