Canada's Octo Schedule

TGAA_Star

Personally and this is 100% biased, I hope we play majority of games in Toronto.  The field is world class and the players prefer to play there.  Like the majority of any major international team, games are usually played at one significant location and then periodically games are played elsewhere across the country.  I'd have to assume that Vancouver is for sure the host vs USA in January and I would consider possibly playing a game or two in Montreal.  Perhaps playing Panama in Montreal although I am always hesitant to play a Latin American opponent in Montreal.

I would love to spread friendlies throughout Canada to continue to grow the game in Canada but that should take place after this cycle in my opinion.

Edited by Corazon

9 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Personally and this is 100% biased, I hope we play majority of games in Toronto.  The field is world class and the players prefer to play there.  Like the majority any major international team, games are usually played at one significant location and then periodically games are played elsewhere across the country.  I'd have to assume that Vancouver is for sure the host vs USA in January and I would consider possibly playing a game or two in Montreal.  Perhaps playing Panama in Montreal although I am always hesitant to play a Latin American opponent in Montreal.

Agreed. Maybe find one game in winnipeg. But of the 7 home games at least 4 should be at BMO, one (USA) at BC Place, then maybe a Winnipeg and Montreal for the other 2.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

I wonder if that matters at all. I would assume/hope that them not wanting to play on turf has no bearing on our choice for home venue.

It doesn't. The away team has no input on the away venue.

As long as it's FIFA approved, it's allowed as a potential venue. The Mexicans probably didn't prefer playing on the BC Place surface in 2016 but they showed up because they were required to.

54 minutes ago, Corazon said:

The field is world class and the players prefer to play there. 

Can we stop this partisan BS please? The players have never expressed any such preference publicly and my guess is they never will. I think they would be delighted to play in Vancouver where the LARGEST EVER crowd gathered for a game in Canada happened but I don't think any of them will wade into this minefield so let's just stop using that as some sort of justification for ANY particular city.

4 minutes ago, ted said:

Can we stop this partisan BS please? The players have never expressed any such preference publicly and my guess is they never will. I think they would be delighted to play in Vancouver where the LARGEST EVER crowd gathered for a game in Canada happened but I don't think any of them will wade into this minefield so let's just stop using that as some sort of justification for ANY particular city.

You're right that the players have never publicly said where they prefer to play, but I can almost guarantee they prefer grass to fieldturf.

8 minutes ago, ted said:

There were a series of interviews done with CMNT players years ago after BMO was built and it was pretty unanimous that they prefer grass to turf. I could care less (did I get that right?) as I don't live in either city, so no partisan BS from me.

Wish there was no such thing as a NIE, but that aside this is very good news. Bodes well for our chances of playing on the west coast, which we'll need to do in January. 

I'll breath easier when it's actually granted though. Yes the precedent is kind of set with MLS, but just because it is granted now doesn't mean it will be granted later for Canada soccer.

For all we know the situation can change for the worst and NIEs can end up being withheld (which is why I don't like them to begin with). 

On the "partisan" thing, I am going with the crowd on this one. It's really nothing of the sort. BMO is a fine choice, that's the reality. From a selfish point of view I do hope we get a West Coast game, but the turf really gives BMO the edge.

5 hours ago, ted said:

Public or not, what I can tell you is that I have spoken to several of the current players in person over the past couple of years and this is their sentiments.  Sorry if that offends you.  Half a dozen players speaking for themselves and their team mates doesn't necessarily mean that the entire team feels this way.  But if you have further insight that is more reliable than from the players mouth's then I'm all ears.

And yes, the players I have spoken to are all local from Ontario.  I have differing relationships/connections to about 15 to 20 players in our current player pool.  Not sure if that makes you feel any better.

Edited by Corazon

For the November 12th match vs. Costa Rica, BMO Field, BC Place and Commonwealth Stadium are unavailable due to CFL games. On the 16th they host Mexico. I would assume they desire will be there for both games to be in the same place, thus eliminating travel between the two. Montreal makes sense for the two games , even with the threat of winter? Will the CSA want to really pump the Mexico game thus play the Big O?

52 minutes ago, Cblake said:

For the November 12th match vs. Costa Rica, BMO Field, BC Place and Commonwealth Stadium are unavailable due to CFL games. On the 16th they host Mexico. I would assume they desire will be there for both games to be in the same place, thus eliminating travel between the two. Montreal makes sense for the two games , even with the threat of winter? Will the CSA want to really pump the Mexico game thus play the Big O?

Winterpeg, baby!!!

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

ATCO Field... Prairies football 

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

Damn. I was really hoping it would be Edmonton in November. Cold enough to freeze out our opponents, far enough away to discourage traveling MEX/CRC fans, and almost certainly a very pro Canada crowd with the return of Phonzie. 

It’s not going to go to Winnipeg or out east. It’s pretty much Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. I doubt Edmonton at this point.  I appreciate the idea to spread it around but it isn’t practical for a country our size during such short time frames. For the players coming from Europe we need to minimize their extra travel as others have said.  Outside of the January break, it shouldn’t be in Vancouver.  I understand the crowd potential and gate angle but qualifying for the World Cup and the financial windfall that comes from that trumps the former IMO.  Play it outside at BMO or Saputo in October, November and March.  It’s risky but welcome to Canada where all bets are off weather wise

3 hours ago, Cblake said:

Big O might work until snow hits the roof, at which point they can’t insure and ensure a roof from collapsing!  I’m not even sure David and Davies will be allowed to play on it!  Might pull a Thierry Henry and come down with an “injury”

6 hours ago, Corazon said:

Personally and this is 100% biased, I hope we play majority of games in Toronto.  The field is world class and the players prefer to play there.  Like the majority of any major international team, games are usually played at one significant location and then periodically games are played elsewhere across the country.  I'd have to assume that Vancouver is for sure the host vs USA in January and I would consider possibly playing a game or two in Montreal.  Perhaps playing Panama in Montreal although I am always hesitant to play a Latin American opponent in Montreal.

I would love to spread friendlies throughout Canada to continue to grow the game in Canada but that should take place after this cycle in my opinion.

Agreed. I live in Vancouver and as much as I'd love to see games here, I think Toronto makes the most sense.