Canada's Octo Schedule

TGAA_Star

Biggest matches in Canada in 20 odd years and still no details.  Time to worry just a bit.  I mean the best time to sell tickets is right when the team is playing a big match!

what’s more anyone else start to worry when we perform well in gold cup that somehow we underperform in Octo?  Like back in 2000?  That still hurts. 

9 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Biggest matches in Canada in 20 odd years and still no details.  Time to worry just a bit.  I mean the best time to sell tickets is right when the team is playing a big match!

what’s more anyone else start to worry when we perform well in gold cup that somehow we underperform in Octo?  Like back in 2000?  That still hurts. 

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and guess they are waiting for the Gold Cup to end.

By the way Blue Jay's just announced they will start with 15,000 fans.

12 minutes ago, Ruud said:

I would be shocked if the first two matches were not at BMO Field now that crowds are allowed in; of course pending approval from the federal government for the visiting sides to enter.

5 hours ago, Ruud said:

you're not wrong, but i feel like they'll have no problem selling out whatever reduced number of tickets they'll be allowed to sell.

as i was typing that it occured to me that they might just be in talks with the prov gov't about numbers before determining pricing, etc.

On 7/18/2021 at 2:13 PM, Ruud said:

I think it's too soon to say that we've performed well in this year's Gold Cup, if that makes you feel any better.

A loss to Costa Rica and this tournament has been a minor failure, imo.

50 minutes ago, narduch said:

This is a bad development 

Canada officially opens up to vaccinated travelers from the rest of the world on Tuesday September 7th. 

This is more worrying to me for our prospects of a Honduras home game than our El Salvador home match on September 8th.

---

The CSA will clearly need an exemption for the Honduras match even if all the Honduran players are vaccinated.

I think the issue is the vaccination mandatory for travelers thing. Im pretty sure the games will be at BMO but im not sure how this will play out if people don't want to get vaccinated then maybe we have to play in the US?

Seems to be a pretty cagey move if you're Honduras... just don't get vaccinated and screw us over

Edited by SpursFlu

37 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think the issue is the vaccination mandatory for travelers thing. Im pretty sure the games will be at BMO but im not sure how this will play out if people don't want to get vaccinated then maybe we have to play in the US?

Seems to be a pretty cagey move if you're Honduras... just don't get vaccinated and screw us over

I said from the get go that having to play away home games was not out of the question. 

On 7/23/2021 at 10:05 AM, Obinna said:

I said from the get go that having to play away home games was not out of the question. 

Hopefully sanity prevails but take away your toys is a smart strategy for compliance. Unfortunately you don't have control over Honduras and non compliance in this instance actually benefits them. Its not looking good

Edited by SpursFlu

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

I think it's too soon to say that we've performed well in this year's Gold Cup, if that makes you feel any better.

A loss to Costa Rica and this tournament has been a minor failure, imo.

So we're officially better than Costa Rica?  I didn't get the memo.  I know they're getting up there in age, but they're still a very talented group that are great at grinding out results when it counts.  They also have tonnes of experience playing in major MAJOR tournaments together. I wouldn't underestimate their experience and synergy which are the two things we have very little of.

We're getting better every game, however underestimating opponents would be foolish, just ask our neighbors to the south.

27 minutes ago, costarg said:

So we're officially better than Costa Rica?  I didn't get the memo.  I know they're getting up there in age, but they're still a very talented group that are great at grinding out results when it counts.  They also have tonnes of experience playing in major MAJOR tournaments together. I wouldn't underestimate their experience and synergy which are the two things we have very little of.

We're getting better every game, however underestimating opponents would be foolish, just ask our neighbors to the south.

Not what I said. Failing to at least make the semis would make me less than hopeful heading into WCQ. Obviously the quality of opponent and, should we lose, how competitive we are in the loss, should factor in. But in beating Martinique and Haiti and losing to USA and Costa Rica, we will have learned nothing positive about our team.

4 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Not what I said. Failing to at least make the semis would make me less than hopeful heading into WCQ. Obviously the quality of opponent and, should we lose, how competitive we are in the loss, should factor in. But in beating Martinique and Haiti and losing to USA and Costa Rica, we will have learned nothing positive about our team.

Agreed.

It's logical to view semis as a success and quarters a failure, since we need to finish at least 4th out of 8 in the Ocho.

I would give benefit of the doubt if our quarter final match was against Mexico, but that's it.

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

I still have no idea how they played the FIBA Olympic qualifiers in BC almost a month ago but we’re struggling to host games now. Give the players an exemption and be done with it.

This is an important point, how do you allow home international matches in basketball but not soccer, maybe it is all just speculation and there won't be any issues in which case why was Forge denied the right to host an international match?

12 minutes ago, gator said:

This is an important point, how do you allow home international matches in basketball but not soccer, maybe it is all just speculation and there won't be any issues in which case why was Forge denied the right to host an international match?

My guess is that because it was linked to the Olympics helped in the lobbying/negotiating.

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

I still have no idea how they played the FIBA Olympic qualifiers in BC almost a month ago but we’re struggling to host games now. Give the players an exemption and be done with it.

the more this gets mentioned the more i really want to find out how that got ok'd.

of course, if we're playing honduras and el salvador at bmo in september it becomes a moot point, but if we have to play those games elsewhere the csa better jump all over it and raise hell to get answers.

5 hours ago, narduch said:

This is a bad development 

Just speculating here but does anyone actually know if Forge applied for the NIE?

The issue may not necessarily be the actual application, but the setting up of a bubble that would be required.  I could understand if that is not economically feasible for Forge but the CSA would be a different story.