COQ | Match Thread: Canada U23 vs Haiti U23 | March 22 @ 6:00pm EST

narduch

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Sooo, it used to be Honduras was the boogey man.  Now its Haiti??  Haiti is the team that trips us up and F$cks us in these tournies??  Is it me or is this just the same old same old qualifying mess we have seen for what seems like forever??  

When I was a boy the boogey man was Cuba. Then El Salvador, then Guatemala, then Mexico, then eventually Honduras, Jamaica, and the list goes on. Pretty soon it will be St. Pierre and Miquelon. Or maybe there just isn't one.

Man. This placed turned quickly lol.

It is worrying but not surprising we look a bit fatigued and holding back on game two. We have to pick ourselves up somehow for Thursday and hopefully pick ourselves up again for a huge semi final.

Playing devils advocate I thought we passed it around well in the first half, in general we could have put the game to bed in the first half and this place would be very different. 

One thing we definitely lacked was killer instinct. Playing the ball at the first opportunity, taking a shot from far out. We were too patient and considerate in the build up not clinical enough in anyway. 

I do agree with the current Canada set up not having a plan B, such is the main failing of coaches outside the top class. We can pray on that one.

What I would say is that it is game two in pre season for players that havent played in months and some have never met each other before last week. If things click this team can work, it is close, but close doesn't cut it..but tick tock.

2 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

That makes two of us, Dinner with Andre Guy!

With some posters petulantly demanding that Tabla never don the Canadian jersey again, I'm starting to wonder if there should be a mandate to post your age when you post as I am getting the impression a couple of 12 year olds are posting here - which I don't have a problem with, it's great to see young passionate Canadian fans. We need more of them, but it's good to know their age when reading posts. I'll start. My name is Gian-Luca and I'm 48 years old....

32 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I've never seen a Canadian team not follow up a great start with a somewhat disappointing 2nd game in a tourney, so I saw this coming, especially with the news that Haiti was starting 7 players who had the first night off, you just knew that our out-of-season boys would fade in the 2nd half in comparison Pantemis held us in the 2nd half with that fantastic save where Normal slipped. That said, we should have had the lead after the 1st half, its a shame that Buchanan whiffed on that glorious scoring opportunity. Not sure why people want Tabla to be executed, it was a great save by the Haitian keeper, he was unlucky not to score. I felt more aggravated by the earlier chance where Raposo hung on to the ball instead of whipping the ball across for Tabla.

Lots of sloppy passes and we couldn't seem to time a through ball properly to save our lives. Frankly a lot of that is down to fatigue and these stupid tiny roster sizes.

Brym was disappointing for me today, too many times where he had a positive option (ZBG) to play the ball to and instead he'd pass it back to the CB's and they would slowly build and make slow decisions. I'm assuming it was ridiculously hot down there because Haiti looked pretty slow and casual by their standards considering they needed the win badly.

Yes, lots of very poor passes.  Poor crosses missing thier target by 5-10 yards.  Tons of pointless backpasses which demostrates a lack of ideas and imagination.  The back line doesnt not distribute the ball well and is too prone to panic and hoof it out instead of making a play and being part of the build up (Vancouver whitecaps desease).  To me TB and Tabla have been two of the best players.   People are ripping Tabla for getting the best scoring chance when several others who did absolutely nothing of value all game get a pat on on the back. Mindbighling

having said all that,  Without a couple of dubious off side calls,  things could have been differnt.Still think we can win the next game. And play in the semis. 

Edited by Free kick

1 minute ago, top cheese said:

Sure why wouldn’t they put godinho inside and play bassong 

Might not be a bad idea next game. Not saying Norman was bad but that slip which almost resulted in Haiti scoring with that header is definitely going to get finished when facing Honduras, USA or Mexico.

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

With some posters petulantly demanding that Tabla never don the Canadian jersey again, I'm starting to wonder if there should be a mandate to post your age when you post as I am getting the impression a couple of 12 year olds are posting here - which I don't have a problem with, it's great to see young passionate Canadian fans. We need more of them, but it's good to know their age when reading posts. I'll start. My name is Gian-Luca and I'm 48 years old....

No offense but I'm quite sure nobody cares how old you are, or for your not-so-subtle attempt at gatekeeping. People are entitled to their opinions, even if they're shit. A good tip for the internet is: if you think someone's opinion is worthless, ignore it.

1 minute ago, Macksam said:

Might not be a bad idea next game. Not saying Norman was bad but that slip which almost resulted in Haiti scoring with that header is definitely going to get finished when facing Honduras, USA or Mexico.

It just seems odd that you would put a player not fitting the profile of a Cb into that role when you had a wing back who is also a Cb playing the wing 

Personally I agree with what some people say about our tactical approach our national teams aren’t prepared to play a different way 

16 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Relax bro. We actually have a decent pool of professionals now unlike the previous 18 years. Everything you describe can be fixed with a coaching change. 

I agree that a coaching change will help.  But a lot of this falls on the quality and ability of our professionals.  Personal opinion, I don't think the number of pros we have matters, we could have 100, but how many of them are actually of the level for this type of competition... which isn't high at all by the standards we should be holding our players to.  

National teams come together for very brief periods (Especially Canada), coaching staff's won't always be able to prepare the team as much as they'd want to.  Some of the onus is on the players to find ways to get results.  What's going to happen if we are lucky to play USA/Mexico in the Semi's and they have us pinned back?  How will the players respond?  Just my opinion..

Edited by Footyeh

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

No offense but I'm quite sure nobody cares how old you are, or for your not-so-subtle attempt at gatekeeping. People are entitled to their opinions, even if they're shit. A good tip for the internet is: if you think someone's opinion is worthless, ignore it.

That's actually a bad tip since it's an unrealistic one to expect people to adhere to - if people think someone's opinion is worthless they are free to say so. However a real good is to not to try to speak for everyone else the way you are doing here, and another good tip is to try not to take tongue-in-cheek posts meant as a joke so seriously.

3 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I can’t fault this on a player when the coaching was this bad, it was infuriating to watch us try to build from the back on 0 pressure in the 75th minute of a 0-0 game.

This was the biggest issue for me. Metcalfe and Baldisimo both looked too similar getting forward - the first forward pass was often a long ball to the outside to a wide player that would have to get it under control and then be isolated 1 v 1. A couple of the better chances in the first half started out centrally to get into Haiti's half and then the ball out wide for a winger running at the backline. 

If we could have a do over from this moment what would you want to see? 

I'd personally like to see a ball back out to Dias and then back out to a wider Ballou for a more direct shot or a shot from the top of the box by Dias. 

Or 

Ballou instead of waiting, pull further out for a better shot. 

Screenshot_20210322-204624.png

Biello put out the exact lineup people were asking for prior to the game. Tabla as an impact sub... Daniels is better than expected... Metcalfe played well the first game... also, he subbed guys in minutes after someone on here thought they should. It's like he was using this board for ideas. And now that it didn't work he's a horrible coach. O wish he was coaching the men's team.

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

That's actually a bad tip since it's an unrealistic one to expect people to adhere to - if people think someone's opinion is worthless they are free to say so. However a real good is to not to try to speak for everyone else the way you are doing here, and another good tip is to try not to take tongue-in-cheek posts meant as a joke so seriously.

No I'm pretty sure I can safely say no one cares how old you are. No offense intended of course, just stating a fact. I also wasn't taking what you said seriously, as no one would be so ridiculous as to actually want people to tell their age before posting. I was more just bringing to attention that it was kind of a douchey way to make your point.