COQ | Match Thread: Canada U23 vs Haiti U23 | March 22 @ 6:00pm EST

narduch

I'm not as down on the boys after yesterdays game as many in here.   We were pretty solid defensively and played decently for the majority of the game.  Obviously with most of the squad being in preseason training with their clubs, our final third link-up play and finishing isn't where we all want it to be.  Not to mention the general lack of familiarity most of these guys have with each other.  

As far as the Honduras game, add me to the list of peeps who think avoiding Mexico should be the number two priority. Right after making sure we get to the semi's in the first place.   Another thing to keep in mind is that the US and Mexico will have an extra days rest before the semi's than the teams in our group.  We shouldn't wear down our top guys in order to win the group.

3 hours ago, gator said:

We are basically through to the SF already barring a huge Haiti win and us losing badly, they would have to overturn a 5 goal difference, I don't care if the US happens to top the group, there is no comparison in playing Mexico at home to the US in a neutral site!

What about a huge ES win and us losing badly? Not saying that either is likely, but they are in a better position than Haiti if GD is the first tiebreaker.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

What about a huge ES win and us losing badly? Not saying that either is likely, but they are in a better position than Haiti if GD is the first tiebreaker.

I am making an assumption that head to head is the 1st tie breaker as it is in most tournaments!

To be honest Four points after two games is better than I thought they would be, I was hoping it would have been at least 3 points  at this stage  so they have exceeded my expectations, And because of some good goalkeeping from the Haitian keeper we could be at six points so overall I am pleased

I agree that I’d like to see Dias start, but I think it’s a bit unfair to criticize the coaches too much for not playing him enough. He was away from the team for much of the pre tournament training because of Twardek’s Covid test, and he’s new to the program. Hopefully he’s had enough training now that he can get a start against Honduras and really show what he can do.

After watching that podcast with him, I also think we are missing Stefan Mitrovic, who I gather is a similar player to Dias. Saying this as I'd prefer some ballers in the middle, after watching Baldissimo, whose stock has slipped I'd say. As for Metcalfe, he's more a surprise and a nice one, but still not anything really hot. And I think Mitrovic and Dias would change the tone in our midfield, in spite of their ages.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

After watching that podcast with him, I also think we are missing Stefan Mitrovic, who I gather is a similar player to Dias. Saying this as I'd prefer some ballers in the middle, after watching Baldissimo, whose stock has slipped I'd say. As for Metcalfe, he's more a surprise and a nice one, but still not anything really hot. And I think Mitrovic and Dias would change the tone in our midfield, in spite of their ages.

I agree with 90% of this, Baldismo wasn’t great but I’ve noticed a marked improvement in his game since last year. 

going forward we have some nice prospects, isn’t Mitrovic a RM ? Also Simon Colyn could have and should have been called, he’s doing well in the Primavera playing RCM

9 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I agree with 90% of this, Baldismo wasn’t great but I’ve noticed a marked improvement in his game since last year. 

going forward we have some nice prospects, isn’t Mitrovic a RM ? Also Simon Colyn could have and should have been called, he’s doing well in the Primavera playing RCM

Mitrovic is a CAM/LW who I think has gotten more opportunities on the wing in Serbia.  His father has mentioned on Twitter his natural position is CAM though.

18 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Mitrovic is a CAM/LW who I think has gotten more opportunities on the wing in Serbia.  His father has mentioned on Twitter his natural position is CAM though.

We need more CAM’s. Hopefully we get him back in the future.