COQ | Match Thread: Canada U23 vs Haiti U23 | March 22 @ 6:00pm EST

narduch

Not a lot of stock went up for our players after this game.

Pantemis - absolutely looks like the real deal.

Cornelius - has been fairly strong in my opinion, as expected.

Norman - was just okay at best today.

Godinho - was not as good today but still better then most out there.

ZBG - has been just ok.  

Bassong - had a nice run late and I would like to see him start next game.

Baldisimo - was just okay today. 

Metcalfe - not particularly good today.

Daniels - was not not good today.

Tajon - demonstrated lots of skill again today but definitely doing too much right now and missed a couple chances.

Bair - has been non existent so far this tournament.

Brym - has been non existent so far this tournament.

Raposo - Not particularly good in my opinion.

Tabla - yes it was a huge miss and needs to do better finishing his chances but still pretty good in my opinion.

Dias - Showed skill that no one else seems to possess.  I'd be shocked if he doesn't start the next game.

Edited by Corazon

This is on Biello, lack of preparation and tactical adjustment.

teams know we rely on Buchanan, not having Ballou at the start as the other wing threat hurt. Bassong should have started over Godinho, and ZBG should have stayed on. 

Dias need to start in the middle up top, with Daniels and Baldisimo behind him. We can be direct, build out of out the back or use the flanks in this formation.

I know shit about Football but my god I could have done better today, it doesn’t take a brain to adjust tactically.

our players have gotten better, but our coaches haven’t and until they do I think we’re going to keep struggling.

let the offence and creativity loose quite frankly, let Dias take guys on, let’s make them Defend Tajon, Ballou, ZBG and Bassong. I haven’t see that yet and I want to, none of us have. The talent is there but my god just fucking use it. We’re strong on the wings with a potentially great 10, let’s fucking use it.

Edited by Dominic94

8 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I said the same thing after the first match - his first touch is atrocious now. I remember he used to be regarded as so technical. Totally different player it seems

Agreed and he doesn't have an above average vision to make up for it. Still a very fast player but a bit disappointing given all the hype.

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, I honestly don’t get the Tabla hate.  Tajon wasted two from 6 yards out in the first half.  Bair and Brym were anonymous.  As was half of our midfield.  

Take away the fact that Tabla’s was the last gasp chance we had to win and it is just one miss.  At least he was attacking effectively.  

I don't think his career is over either and the hate is a little much but your only as good as the last thing you did it seems, which is a meek effort in front of goal and and awful first touch in the box. 

3 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Not a lot of stock went up for our players after this game.

Pantemis is the real deal.

Cornelius has been fairly strong in my opinion

Norman was at best just ok.

Godinho not as good today but still better.

ZBG has been ok.  

Bassong had a nice run late.  Would like to see him start next game.

Baldisimo was okay today. Metcalfe and Daniels were not particularly good.

Tajon Lots of skill, definitely doing too much right now.

Bair - Non existent so far this tournament

Brym - Almost non existent so far this tournament

Raposo - Not very good

Tabla - Yes a huge miss and needs to do better finishing his chances but still not terrible.

Dias - Showed skill that no one else seems to possess.  I'd be shocked if he doesn't start the next game.

I thought Raposo seemed OK the little opportunity he had to strut his stuff. He should start as well next game.

17 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

teams know we rely on Buchanan, not having Ballou at the start as the other wing threat hurt. Bassong should have started over Godinho, and ZBG should have stayed on. 

Dias need to start in the middle up top, with Daniels and Baldisimo behind him. We can be direct, build out of out the back or use the flanks in this formation.

I know shit about Football but my god I could have done better today, it doesn’t take a brain to adjust tactically.

our players have gotten better, but our coaches haven’t and until they do I think we’re going to keep struggling.

I didn’t think we needed wholesale changes. But definitely for me Daniels should’ve started knowing that Haiti was going to sit. I would’ve kept Bair and started Ballou. It balances the attack when you have both guys attacking the same way.

I liked Brym in his previous outings, but he’s not showing that guy. 

Edited by Shway

I've never seen a Canadian team not follow up a great start with a somewhat disappointing 2nd game in a tourney, so I saw this coming, especially with the news that Haiti was starting 7 players who had the first night off, you just knew that our out-of-season boys would fade in the 2nd half in comparison Pantemis held us in the 2nd half with that fantastic save where Normal slipped. That said, we should have had the lead after the 1st half, its a shame that Buchanan whiffed on that glorious scoring opportunity. Not sure why people want Tabla to be executed, it was a great save by the Haitian keeper, he was unlucky not to score. I felt more aggravated by the earlier chance where Raposo hung on to the ball instead of whipping the ball across for Tabla.

Lots of sloppy passes and we couldn't seem to time a through ball properly to save our lives. Frankly a lot of that is down to fatigue and these stupid tiny roster sizes.

Brym was disappointing for me today, too many times where he had a positive option (ZBG) to play the ball to and instead he'd pass it back to the CB's and they would slowly build and make slow decisions. I'm assuming it was ridiculously hot down there because Haiti looked pretty slow and casual by their standards considering they needed the win badly.

Edited by Gian-Luca

Just now, Macksam said:

I don't think his career is over either and the hate is a little much but your only as good as the last thing you did it seems, which is a meek effort in front of goal and and awful first touch in the box. 

I thought Raposo seemed OK the little opportunity he had to strut his stuff. He should start as well next game.

Dude it was going in, it was deflected up into the path of the goalies leg. At the same time let’s not forget only Dias is in season.

Sooo, it used to be Honduras was the boogey man.  Now its Haiti??  Haiti is the team that trips us up and F$cks us in these tournies??  Is it me or is this just the same old same old qualifying mess we have seen for what seems like forever??  

Love it. Undefeated after 2 with a chance to go through with a result and we are ripping on the team and coaching staff! Expectations are through the roof and we are missing all of the TFC guys. Kinda a good thing that we expect to dominate.

Disappointed with the result today but we are still fighting to go through and get into the one game for all the marbles.  Thursday is going to be a immensely important and amazing day.  Taking the day off!!

Just now, Bison44 said:

Sooo, it used to be Honduras was the boogey man.  Now its Haiti??  Haiti is the team that trips us up and F$cks us in these tournies??  Is it me or is this just the same old same old qualifying mess we have seen for what seems like forever??  

Honduras have been better than us

Haiti has been better coached than we have when facing one another. They know us better than we know ourselves it seems

7 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

let the offence and creativity loose quite frankly, let Dias take guys on, let’s make them Defend Tajon, Ballou, ZBG and Bassong. I haven’t see that yet and I want to, none of us have. The talent is there but my god just fucking use it. We’re strong on the wings with a potentially great 10, let’s fucking use it.

ZBG is good but Godinho has an extra spark going forward. 

Forget the result, the way we play shows that we are just not good enough, simple as that.  There's been zero improvement from this team to any in the past.  No identity, poor coaching, lack of character, inability to recognize changing situations in the game, terrible player selection etc.  Sure we have more professional players in this cycle than in the past, sure this isn't our first choice roster, but the whole product is mediocre.  It's going to stay this way until the CSA starts taking our National Programs seriously.  

4 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Love it. Undefeated after 2 with a chance to go through with a result and we are ripping on the team and coaching staff! Expectations are through the roof and we are missing all of the TFC guys. Kinda a good thing that we expect to dominate.

Disappointed with the result today but we are still fighting to go through and get into the one game for all the marbles.  Thursday is going to be a immensely important and amazing day.  Taking the day off!!

Expectations are too high methinks or memories are too short, or maybe I'm too old in comparison to some of the posters here....

3 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Forget the result, the way we play shows that we are just not good enough, simple as that.  There's been zero improvement from this team to any in the past.  No identity, poor coaching, lack of character, inability to recognize changing situations in the game, terrible player selection etc.  Sure we have more professional players in this cycle than in the past, sure this isn't our first choice roster, but the whole product is mediocre.  It's going to stay this way until the CSA starts taking our National Programs seriously.  

Relax bro. We actually have a decent pool of professionals now unlike the previous 18 years. Everything you describe can be fixed with a coaching change.