Lucas Dias - Sporting CP

SpecialK

1 hour ago, JasonDias said:

June 30. This move works for everyone involved. We are excited to see him play this journey out. Someone will have to direct/send me a Calvary jersey haha... the online shops are horrible. 

Also the U21 rule is really an underrated gem for the CPL, many here would be surprised how much of it is talked about in Portuguese and Spanish academies. 

Really appreciate your replies and input, Jason.

Do you mind: how long is his contract until at Sporting? Transfermarkt says until 31 December of this year but does not seem right.

1 hour ago, JasonDias said:

June 30. This move works for everyone involved. We are excited to see him play this journey out. Someone will have to direct/send me a Calvary jersey haha... the online shops are horrible. 

Also the U21 rule is really an underrated gem for the CPL, many here would be surprised how much of it is talked about in Portuguese and Spanish academies. 

Awesome. It will be great to finally see Lucas get playing time. Pretty cool that Sporting loaned him in the CPL. Do wish he got a shot at a higher level but more important to get him competitive minutes.

Great news all around for your family

I wish him the best. I think this will be good for him, playing in a professional setting.

I remember watching him for our olympics qualifying, he was the best player on the pitch. Hope we can see more of it here.

Everyone has a different path. Look at Estaquio. He has had a super unusual way to starting for one of the best teams in the world. So who knows. If he can show well this season, I hope it leads up to a call up.

Edited by Vasi

38 minutes ago, Vasi said:

I wish him the best. I think this will be good for him, playing in a professional setting.

I remember watching him for our olympics qualifying, he was the best player on the pitch. Hope we can see more of it here.

Everyone has a different path. Look at Estaquio. He has had a super unusual way to starting for one of the best teams in the world. So who knows. If he can show well this season, I hope it leads up to a call up.

This is exactly why I scoff at the idea of him being overhyped if he's not shredding the CPL. I know what my eyes saw. It was quite obvious he was on another level from our other midfielders, the way he touched the ball. I think it was the Mexico match where I recall thinking "here we go, finally a player that can match the Mexicans technically". I still wish Biello had trusted him more by giving him more game time in that tournament. He definitely deserved it.

He's different than Eustaquio, but those moments for Dias against Mexico, I remember feeling the same way when Staq made his debut against the United States. It was like "okay now we have someone legit to match you guys".

I really hope he succeeds.

14 hours ago, Vasi said:

Eustaquio is a good example. At one stage of his career a CPL loan could have been considered a good move (if he were a developing player in 2024 of course). At some point youth football is no longer acceptable and you have to start building a professional resume. 

I think this is a really smart move all around for Lucas. He’s coming to play for a team that will be playing some tough matches in the next 5 months while he’s a u21 player so will have an inside step on minutes. Then he’ll have a chance to either extend his time or explore options back overseas. Who knows? Maybe he even catches some MLS eyes.

Playing in CPL will earn him a soft spot from Canada fans/brass as well, no matter what happens in his career thereafter.

Eustaqiuo is a bit of a unicorn. 

We don't have many examples of Canadian players that paid their dues at lower division teams and then became a 1st division player.

Of course now that I said this someone will chime in with other examples lol

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think one of the few drawbacks with CPL is that the low minimum salary does not help him too much, assuming he is on a modest youth salary at Sporting.

Realistically though, what's a CPL salary for a 20 year old player compared to the average salary of a typical 20 year old in Calgary? Would assume he's not making less than the kids who work at a grocery store. I would assume Cavalry will also give him the opportunity to go live with another player, and with most meals on training and match days covered (I would hope), plus his equipment, he's probably doing fine as far as a 20 year old kid goes.

8 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Realistically though, what's a CPL salary for a 20 year old player compared to the average salary of a typical 20 year old in Calgary? Would assume he's not making less than the kids who work at a grocery store. I would assume Cavalry will also give him the opportunity to go live with another player, and with most meals on training and match days covered (I would hope), plus his equipment, he's probably doing fine as far as a 20 year old kid goes.

The minimum salary is 30k and they play for 7 months. Assuming they pay only during the 7 months of playing, thats $4285 a month. With low cost of living, that is quite substantial for a lot of 20 year olds. 

12 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

The minimum salary is 30k and they play for 7 months. Assuming they pay only during the 7 months of playing, thats $4285 a month. With low cost of living, that is quite substantial for a lot of 20 year olds. 

That would be gross though. Net he's probably looking at around $3,500/mo or so. Feel like Calgary has gotten expensive these days, but if he's shacking up with another player making that or more, you can get a place next to the grounds, lease a car and have a bit of spending money left over. I know being an athlete isn't cheap, but it's not like he'd be earning more money if he hung his boots up and got a "real job".

14 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

That’s one thing this league doesn’t get credit for. Everyone was happy to deride the league early on for low salaries but now that they’ve improved the league has received no credit. Guess that’s the world we live in. 

45 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

That would be gross though. Net he's probably looking at around $3,500/mo or so. Feel like Calgary has gotten expensive these days, but if he's shacking up with another player making that or more, you can get a place next to the grounds, lease a car and have a bit of spending money left over. I know being an athlete isn't cheap, but it's not like he'd be earning more money if he hung his boots up and got a "real job".

For sure, but grossing over 4k a month is alot more than you gross at a grocery store. Calgary is getting expensive but I would say its one of the cheapest places for him. Free room and board most likely as well. 

It would be mcuh more expensive in vancouver etc. 

Totally agree with your point though and just trying to further the deep dive into it. 

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

For sure, but grossing over 4k a month is alot more than you gross at a grocery store. Calgary is getting expensive but I would say its one of the cheapest places for him. Free room and board most likely as well. 

It would be mcuh more expensive in vancouver etc. 

Totally agree with your point though and just trying to further the deep dive into it. 

Yeah, I think if you're getting paid $30k over 7 months, it works out to something like $25/hr net or whatever which I know things have gotten expensive, but as a 20 year old, that's a solid amount, especially when you consider what (I hope) is covered by the team, like meals, training, equipment, so on. Doubt there's much time in a 6 month loan to get any sort of marketing deals done, but if he comes out of the gate flying, I'm sure a local business might want to work with him on something and give him a little on the side too. Maybe more on the MLS side, but I'm under the impression that a lot of players get cheap/free car leases for social media work for local dealers. I feel like maybe Sam Adekugbe recently tagged a vancouver dealership in an IG post- would assume that they gave him a good/free rate on a lease, and those sorts of deals aren't super hard to come by.

Edited by InglewoodJack

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think 30,000 a year, which I imagine we are talking about, is just slightly above 40 hours a week at 15$/hour in an Alberta a grocery store for 50 weeks.

I guess what I am arguing, for example, is that if you are loaned to a league with a decent minimum as set by the FA or the league, the receiving club would have to top you off, assuming the Sporting Lisbon wage for a youth player is more modest. I am just speculating, mind you.

If he'd been loaned to third tier Spain, which I do know, most teams have a 35,000 euro minimum salary, while others who can demonstrate less tv income on the current contract, can pay incrementally less. So the minimum for most teams would be 50,000 Canadian--quite a bit more than I imagine Cavalry is paying him. 

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think 30,000 a year, which I imagine we are talking about, is just slightly above 40 hours a week at 15$/hour in an Alberta a grocery store for 50 weeks.

I guess what I am arguing, for example, is that if you are loaned to a league with a decent minimum as set by the FA or the league, the receiving club would have to top you off, assuming the Sporting Lisbon wage for a youth player is more modest. I am just speculating, mind you.

If he'd been loaned to third tier Spain, which I do know, most teams have a 35,000 euro minimum salary, while others who can demonstrate less tv income on the current contract, can pay incrementally less. So the minimum for most teams would be 50,000 Canadian--quite a bit more than I imagine Cavalry is paying him. 

Theres tons of assumptions I have made. 

-30k is the absolute lowest wages hes on due to the salary cap. But he could be on more from sporting or cavalry couldve offered more. 
-30k is for 6-7 months of work. Im not sure if they spread his pay out, but with offsetting seasons between CPL and europe, he could also get paid when he returns from his loan. 
-housing incentives etc on top of this? 

You are technically right that its basically minimum wage (if hes on 30k) but with housing incentives and/or reduced cost of living (free meals etc) and the pay over 7 months instead of 12, he would roughly double his wealth compared to a min wage worker. 

38 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

I thought he would be on his Sporting wages since it's a loan, no? Not much Cavalry can do here (apart for housing/car). 

Would sporting cover the salary for a youth player? I would assume they’re “doing a favour” to Cavalry by loaning him, therefore they’d expect them to cover the salary. Pure speculation though.

With loans you stay on your original salary. Who pays it depends on the negotiation. Let's say he's on 50k Canadian at sporting. Cavalry could cover the whole amount, or maybe they negotiated 30k and then Sporting would pay the remaining 20k. 

It's like when TFC got Julio Cesar on loan from QPR. I don't know what TFC paid, but it definitely wasn't his full salary because he wasn't considered a DP. QPR paid a bunch of it, just to get him game time so he could play in the World Cup and then they could sell him

3 hours ago, rydermike said:

With loans you stay on your original salary. Who pays it depends on the negotiation. Let's say he's on 50k Canadian at sporting. Cavalry could cover the whole amount, or maybe they negotiated 30k and then Sporting would pay the remaining 20k. 

It's like when TFC got Julio Cesar on loan from QPR. I don't know what TFC paid, but it definitely wasn't his full salary because he wasn't considered a DP. QPR paid a bunch of it, just to get him game time so he could play in the World Cup and then they could sell him

Exactly correct, except when the league has a minimum above your contract--then the receiving club has to top it up to meet that minimum.

So when Theo went from his Wolves reserve salary to Bielefeld, he likely got Bundesliga 2 minimum, to Switzerland he got their minimum. He was likely benefited greatly by the salary difference, whereas in this case, Lucas is not likely walking into anything serious salary-wise because the CPL minimum can't be that much more than his reserve salary at Sporting, if anything at all.

On 2/5/2024 at 5:53 PM, Obinna said:

This is exactly why I scoff at the idea of him being overhyped if he's not shredding the CPL. I know what my eyes saw. It was quite obvious he was on another level from our other midfielders, the way he touched the ball. I think it was the Mexico match where I recall thinking "here we go, finally a player that can match the Mexicans technically". I still wish Biello had trusted him more by giving him more game time in that tournament. He definitely deserved it.

He's different than Eustaquio, but those moments for Dias against Mexico, I remember feeling the same way when Staq made his debut against the United States. It was like "okay now we have someone legit to match you guys".

I really hope he succeeds.

I think what people are saying when they bring up the possibility of him being overhyped, is a response to people upset because they think he is too good for CPL. Well if he doesn't play like he is too good for CPL, then those people have in fact overhyped him. We should find out this season (barring injury) if he is at CPL level, above CPL level, or below CPL level. All 3 possibilities are on the table as far as I am concerned. He looked pretty good for those 115 minutes 3 years ago, but that was 115 minutes, and it was 3 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...