Lucas Dias - Sporting CP

SpecialK

19 minutes ago, Big_M said:

cpl teams are on the hunt for u21 canadians for 2024...should be an easy decision for a 21 year old portuguese third team backup

I feel like perception is still a factor. 
Its "better" to be in Europe struggling to get minutes Vs leaving Europe to play in the CPL. 

The risk in not doing well in the CPL is high, and it's like where do you go from there. 

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

I feel like perception is still a factor. 
Its "better" to be in Europe struggling to get minutes Vs leaving Europe to play in the CPL. 

The risk in not doing well in the CPL is high, and it's like where do you go from there. 

Even if dias is the best player in the league, he wouldnt even be guaranteed a move to the MLS and then from there hes hoping for a move to a scotland type league. Essentially following Rea's trajectory seems like a big risk and little payoff when your a sporting academy product. 

I think its better to go to Scotland or Norway and become a starter and move up from there as opposed to going the north american route and hoping to secure a move back to europe. 

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

@Unnamed Trialist that's your cue, bud.

Better see if he starts to get u-23 minutes, which would be positive. Also because it'd indicate he wasn't injured, which could have been the case these last weeks. 

I agree with others that a loan for minutes, like we saw with Millar and Corbeanu, would be the right idea. I would not even mind him doing a year in Portugal 2nd tier. 

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

Even if dias is the best player in the league, he wouldnt even be guaranteed a move to the MLS and then from there hes hoping for a move to a scotland type league. Essentially following Rea's trajectory seems like a big risk and little payoff when your a sporting academy product. 

I think its better to go to Scotland or Norway and become a starter and move up from there as opposed to going the north american route and hoping to secure a move back to europe. 

Add to that the coaching and scouting issues we have in North America.  I feel he can do better and avoid getting lost in the system by staying in EU.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Needs a loan. As @Unnamed Trialist suggested back in November, the Portuguese 2nd tier would be nice. A move outside of Portugal even. Are there any lower division teams in Spain known for taking on prospects from the big Portuguese clubs? Just thinking of potential destinations here. Things have seemed to really stall out and this guy had too much talent with our U23 teams to just flame out.

53 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Needs a loan. As @Unnamed Trialist suggested back in November, the Portuguese 2nd tier would be nice. A move outside of Portugal even. Are there any lower division teams in Spain known for taking on prospects from the big Portuguese clubs? Just thinking of potential destinations here. Things have seemed to really stall out and this guy had too much talent with our U23 teams to just flame out.

Dutch 2nd tier or maybe Belgium 2nd tier even would be nice. Somewhere technical where he could potentially excel with competition against notable clubs to keep him noticed.

8 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Wasn’t he close to getting transferred to Hearts or Aberdeen this summer? I remember reading something about that. Hope he gets a move asap, because I don’t think he’s played a single minute since May of last year?

I believe it was Aberdeen. While I agree with @nolando that another technical enviornment (Dutch 2nd div) could be a good landing spot, maybe the so-called less nature of Scottish football would help a technical player like him stand out more?

Edited by Obinna

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I believe it was Aberdeen. While I agree with @nolando that another technical enviornment (Dutch 2nd div) could be a good landing spot, maybe the so-called less nature of Scottish football would help a technical player like him stand out more?

I think at his age, he’s young enough to adapt to any environment and his game likely has enough gaps in it (due to age + no pro experience) that he can benefit from leagues of any types. With that said, I’d be inclined to prefer him in a top division rather than second, however, a good season in the second Dutch tier is a good pathway to playing in the top division. From what I had heard when Colyn signed for his club, some top division clubs were interested as well, and I think he’s at most one or two seasons from making that leap, so going there for Dias might mean playing in a top 10 league in the world by 23-24. 

First it is the club that has to suggest a loan to him. Or he has to suggest it to the club, through his agent. If neither of those things is happening, it won't happen. 

The advantage of players like this is they are on really low salaries, so indeed they could be picked up cheap. Probably, even in a Belgium second tier, whatever the minimum salary is he'd be making more than what he's paid at Sporting. 

Saying this with no idea if maybe Sporting gave him new conditions recently. But if they did that, why isn't he getting minutes? Could it be some nagging injuries?

• 2 weeks later...