Lucas Dias - Sporting CP

SpecialK

Just now, Footyeh said:

Mate... it's not so complicated.  He's not even making the roster for the C team regularly, he's no where near the B team.... you think he's going to make the Europa league bench lol?  

I'll admit it was wrong to use the word "dump", but what other word would you use for a player in his situation?   He's not wanted, he has no future there.  These situations don't change for the better at that age.

And this is where I agree with you on Dias. If things are going to change they need to change quickly, because the odds are incresingly against him the longer he goes without playing for the first team. Why I say that is because it's not about playing once for the first team, it's about becoming a regular. If he manages to make the first team that's just the first step, which a lot of younger players have already taken. I imagine he'd have to really outshine those younger guys. 

21 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Mate... it's not so complicated.  He's not even making the roster for the C team regularly, he's no where near the B team.... you think he's going to make the Europa league bench lol?  

I'll admit it was wrong to use the word "dump", but what other word would you use for a player in his situation?   He's not wanted, he has no future there.  These situations don't change for the better at that age.

Why would they include 3 training players in their squad. 
- I say because hes valued. 
-You say because of random chance

Why would 2 of the 3 training players make the bench of a europa league 
-I say because they value the 2 players
- you say ... ?

Who would be the 3rd player to make the bench?
- I say the 3rd of the 3 training players
- You say not the 3rd

If we follow the logic of sporting on 2 of the 3 players, we can see they are valued and made the bench of a europa league squad. 

Why does this logic just suddenly disappear when it comes to dias? Why wouldnt they have chosen the 3rd player to train to be the 3rd in line to make the bench.  My argument is based on following the actions of sporting. Your argument works against what sporting did with the other 2 players. 

19 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

This situation doesn't seem completely different from Steven Vitoria's time with Benfica. He barely played for the B team, still got called up to the A team to train, barely played there, went months without making the bench for either team, and when his contract was up, he ended up in Poland. Vitoria was older, had an established lower div resume, but other than that, he seemed to be training with the A team with no actual intention to develop him into a player for them.

Pretty sure I recall Tony Marinaro's kid training with CF Montreal's senior team too, and now he's in like Serie D or something.

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

This situation doesn't seem completely different from Steven Vitoria's time with Benfica. He barely played for the B team, still got called up to the A team to train, barely played there, went months without making the bench for either team, and when his contract was up, he ended up in Poland. Vitoria was older, had an established lower div resume, but other than that, he seemed to be training with the A team with no actual intention to develop him into a player for them.

Pretty sure I recall Tony Marinaro's kid training with CF Montreal's senior team too, and now he's in like Serie D or something.

That's actually a very good comparison to make. I would just add one thing - It's on the player whether he develops into a useful squad member, so I wouldn't say they never had actual intention. Maybe he got pigeon-holed into being viewed as a training player, but regardless it's still up to the player to change the minds and perceptions of those selecting the team. 

So I have been saying how other players his age or younger have already made first team apperances, so I decided to dig into the details more and see what the situation is for his position on the B team. 

Considering attacking, central, and defensive midfielders only, none of these guys have played for the first team, and one of them is 28 years old which I think we can disregard when discussing his path into the first team. Anyway, these guys have all played more for the B team than Dias (which is zero apparently).

The most recently promoted central player seems to be Essugo an 18 year old listed as a defensive midfielder. Played a total of 12 times for the B team and 13 for the 1st team. Shows they will promote players quickly if desired, since 12 apperances for the B team is less than several of the current B members, who are closer to Dias in age.

All of this makes me think Dias was chosen to travel with the first team because he's a little on the older side AND he's not really integrated into the B team, so it was a sensible choice to bring him instead of pulling one of the B guys out.

Obviously they have some level of confidence in him to bring him, but hard to imagine he's ahead of the B guys all of a sudden. Maybe he is though as they did rate him highly and the kid is obviously talented from what I remember of the U23 Canada team.  

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

So I have been saying how other players his age or younger have already made first team apperances, so I decided to dig into the details more and see what the situation is for his position on the B team. 

Considering attacking, central, and defensive midfielders only, none of these guys have played for the first team, and one of them is 28 years old which I think we can disregard when discussing his path into the first team. Anyway, these guys have all played more for the B team than Dias (which is zero apparently).

The most recently promoted central player seems to be Essugo an 18 year old listed as a defensive midfielder. Played a total of 12 times for the B team and 13 for the 1st team. Shows they will promote players quickly if desired, since 12 apperances for the B team is less than several of the current B members, who are closer to Dias in age.

All of this makes me think Dias was chosen to travel with the first team because he's a little on the older side AND he's not really integrated into the B team, so it was a sensible choice to bring him instead of pulling one of the B guys out.

Obviously they have some level of confidence in him to bring him, but hard to imagine he's ahead of the B guys all of a sudden. Maybe he is though as they did rate him highly and the kid is obviously talented from what I remember of the U23 Canada team.  

They brought the B team captain and GK though? So its strange to use one logic on 2 players and another on dias.

I do agree though that hes not currently in line for a first team spot. Younger players may be viewed as having a higher ceiling but since dias is slightly older he may be able to handle the demands of first team better.  I love the comparison to vitoria. I think dias is currently on track to make a decision for his development. Stay with sporting or move on to a smaller club for development purposes.  This could be his breakthrough year and he recently came back from injury. After this week, it will be interesting to see where and if he gets playing time.  

35 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

They brought the B team captain and GK though? So its strange to use one logic on 2 players and another on dias.

I do agree though that hes not currently in line for a first team spot. Younger players may be viewed as having a higher ceiling but since dias is slightly older he may be able to handle the demands of first team better.  I love the comparison to vitoria. I think dias is currently on track to make a decision for his development. Stay with sporting or move on to a smaller club for development purposes.  This could be his breakthrough year and he recently came back from injury. After this week, it will be interesting to see where and if he gets playing time.  

Good point and agreed. This year will reveal a lot either way. And either way I think Dias should find himself in the NT pool at some point. Could be as soon as this season if things go very well and he can progress quickly up the Sporting ladder. If not, it may be longer depending on where he lands. I guess one thing we should keep in mind is that if he does (somehow) start earning first team minutes he may hold out for Portugal. This doesn't seem to be an Eustaquio situation where he's chomping at the bit to come play for us - although an insider like @JasonDias would obviously know better than I.

25 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Good point and agreed. This year will reveal a lot either way. And either way I think Dias should find himself in the NT pool at some point. Could be as soon as this season if things go very well and he can progress quickly up the Sporting ladder. If not, it may be longer depending on where he lands. I guess one thing we should keep in mind is that if he does (somehow) start earning first team minutes he may hold out for Portugal. This doesn't seem to be an Eustaquio situation where he's chomping at the bit to come play for us - although an insider like @JasonDias would obviously know better than I.

I've always gotten great vibes from the Dias's. The complete opposite of the mitrovics'.  Hes not one I am too scared to lose. Dias playing in scotland would arguably get him straight onto our roster. After Oso, we dont have tons of attacking midfielders. 

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I remember!  We literally just have another example with that Diallo kid at Inter this week and we're still debating this haha

2 hours ago, Footyeh said:

I remember!  We literally just have another example with that Diallo kid at Inter this week and we're still debating this haha

The diallo kid isnt really comparable until we know the outcome of if he is valued or discarded. Otherwise every single player who trains with the first team could be an example. I can look at diallo training with the first team and say, See im right because they value him so they called him up as hes on an upwards trajectory since signing with inter.  You can say" see im right because they call up kids who they dont value because we dont know if hes valued".

Without knowing the outcome of diallos situation, you cant make an accurate comparison. 

On 9/2/2023 at 8:23 PM, JasonDias said:

He's been sidelined since May with some nagging injuries and medical conditions.

35 minutes ago, jordan said:

Not with the B team today

If he isn't listed with either the B team or the U23 team, perhaps a relapse of what was previously ailing him?

I'll just wish Lucas best of health and perhaps the rest will follow.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

22 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I've always gotten great vibes from the Dias's. The complete opposite of the mitrovics'.  Hes not one I am too scared to lose. Dias playing in scotland would arguably get him straight onto our roster. After Oso, we dont have tons of attacking midfielders. 

Hopefully the Dias family isn't reading the mean-spirited small minded posts about their family member proliferating here.

• 2 weeks later...