USA National Team Watch

Macksam

People always talk about how talented this upcoming generation of players are (and they are right), but this fiasco is exactly the type of thing which holds them back. There always seems to be some weird off-field issue with this program that keeps hindering their progress. 

Right now, the USA remain in the same tier as teams like Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia, etc. - Darkhorse teams that can cause damage but haven't consistently shown more beyond that.

With the immense growth of talent, they have the potential to be in the Croatia, Netherlands, Uruguay (debatable?), Portugal tier (a.k.a. the tier immediately below the very, very best in the world, which are expected to go deep and possibly reach a final. 

Unfortunately for them, the growth on the field is not matched off the field. Strange hires and internal drama are shooting themselves in the foot - and for a team bound to a weak confederation like CONCACAF, there are limited opportunities to win valuable silverware that enhances their global image. 

As for us, we are plagued with our own issues, but we have figured the coaching thing out. Our target is far more modest: Get to the tier the USA (and Mexico) are currently in - and stay there.

So Reyna's wife was in college with Berhalter's wife so she knew in 91 he kicked her in a night club when they were 19. They've been together 35 years with 4 kids but because he won't start his son in a world cup he sends this information out to what? Either play his son or else? Get him fired and or tarnish his reputation?

Yup.. thats blackmail 

Pretty pathetic behavior if you ask me. And I thought hockey parents were bad. Your son is 21 playing in the Bundesliga and in the World Cup. Take a chill pill

Does Claudio Reyna think he's Chuck Rhoades or something?

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

also love how the USA is doing a camp while Bontis and co are patting themselves on the back and going dormant until March.

Yes but they're getting Anthony Hudson to run it.

They'd be better off not having a camp, IMO.

49 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

Are you incapable of following a linear timeline?

timeline okay…but what did Jay Berhalter hiring his brother to be the head coach of the USA team have to do with him indirectly taking about Reyna?

Was Claudio in the running to be coach?

Edited by Shway

35 minutes ago, DoyleG said:

Reyna's Mother:

Stage-mom GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Hey, That's not fair! Those Netherlands boys look too big and play rough! I'm gonna make some phone calls and metoo them. I watch Access Hollywood, I know how this works. I'm pretty sure I caught Louis Van Gaal staring at my tush

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree clearly. This kid is super talented so this is a shame. Mom doesn’t like how her sulking baby is treated and brings up decades old incident intended to destroy a man. Desperate and classless. 

Arguably the kid has shown the most class and maturity of anyone involved in this situation (apart from Mrs. Berhalter).

23 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Arguably the kid has shown the most class and maturity of anyone involved in this situation (apart from Mrs. Berhalter).

That kid is going to be blacklisted for the foreseeable future.  What future coach will want to touch that rock of kryptonite, no matter how talented he is.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Can't someone make up some shit about Sebastian at Whitecaps getting involved so we can have a Canadian angle to this?

Even better, how about 27 years from now, all the bad blood between Sebastian Berhalter and Jay Herdman, both coaching MLS, comes to the surface, thanks to their dads and wives.

I do wonder if Herdman and Berhalter's successor (assuming there will be one) will continue to "trade notes" about the other Concacaf teams or encourage them to set up friendlies so they can scout each other's Copa America opponents.

Or if Berhalter stays, will Herdman now refuse to have anything to do with him on the grounds of his favourite charge of misogyny?

The possibilities are endless.