USA National Team Watch

Macksam

26 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Pretty envious of the states. They have a great group. Wales were one of the worst teams (in the first half) I can remember watching at a world cup. Truly atrocious. 

Big missed opportunity today by the US and as it turns out Wales. 2nd place is intriguing in that group. US should ease to it though.

US has to play a tough England team next then a must win against Iran. Not sure they ease to 2nd place. They may get it, but it will be a struggle. 

43 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Pretty envious of the states. They have a great group. Wales were one of the worst teams (in the first half) I can remember watching at a world cup. Truly atrocious. 

Big missed opportunity today by the US and as it turns out Wales. 2nd place is intriguing in that group. US should ease to it though.

I didn't come away with the same feeling. They're starting XI is alright. Lots of talent spread throughout, but they lack the high end gamebreakers. They seem to have a lot of similar pieces at similar levels. I'm not sold on Pulisic either, his final ball and attitude leaves a lot to be desired, and starting Ream/Zimmerman doesn't inspire a lot of hope either.

Maybe I'm a hater, but in the words of Shania, that don't impress me much.

4 hours ago, Canadian Chuck said:

Not surprisingly, Zimmerman was the Achilles' heel from the starting lineup. The lone MLS player. Team was also noticeably worse when the MLS players subbed on.

Well let’s hope the Canadian MLSers , Laryea, Johnson, Osorio , Okone and Miller don’t see the field or else Canada is done then ?

3 hours ago, Canadian Chuck said:

Some people like to claim MLS is as good as the English Championship which is where many of the Wales players come from, but the MLS players were overmatched today other than Bale.

I'm one that stands behind that claim. The problem with MLS players now is they aren't at full fitness.

A lot of these players have not played a competitive game in months. So it makes sense if they look a little slow.

That's why Canada should use Kaye, Osorio, & Lareya off the bench during the first game.

3 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

I'm one that stands behind that claim. The problem with MLS players now is they aren't at full fitness.

A lot of these players have not played a competitive game in months. So it makes sense if they look a little slow.

That's why Canada should use Kaye, Osorio, & Lareya off the bench during the first game.

Doubt kaye sees the pitch at all in the first game.  

Share a lot of the same opinions. I was happily surprised Berhalter didn’t start long. First half went great. Second half was worse. McKennie seemed rusty. Pulisic too much hero ball. Plays better at Chelsea. Didn’t like the subs and felt they came too late. Tyler Adams was absolutely everywhere and the best player on the field IMO.

5 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Share a lot of the same opinions. I was happily surprised Berhalter didn’t start long. First half went great. Second half was worse. McKennie seemed rusty. Pulisic too much hero ball. Plays better at Chelsea. Didn’t like the subs and felt they came too late. Tyler Adams was absolutely everywhere and the best player on the field IMO.

Echo that. Was impressed by Adams today. Musah had a good game as well. McKennie not so much, but moreso down to rust than talent as you said. Robinson and Dest were good as well. Pulisic I thought was fine. Perhaps a bit too much hero ball, but sometimes you need that and there aren't too many dribblers in the team. Weah had a beautifu run and finish, but aside from that he was pretty average I thought. Ream was excellent in the first half, Zimmerman was also pretty good.

I watched more of the first half than the second, which is where the wheels seemed to fall off. Wales found a way to get more posession and Zimmerman was at fault for the foul in the box. Tough result for the States because they started so brightly. I thought about Berhalter's comments about this young group writing their story at this World Cup - today would have been a statement win in that regard. 

Another big moment awaits versus England. If they get anything from that it'll be massive for them, on par with us getting something from the Belgium match. 

McKennie was nowhere near 90 minute fit, neither was Dest for that matter. Reyna would’ve made a good late substitute but he’s made of glass and maybe they have plans for him to play in the later games. 

Either way, it’s not as simple as “MLS guys bad” because Berhalter got completely out coached in the second half and had zero answers for the Welsh adjustments. It’s something that’s plagued them throughout Berhalter’s tenure as he seemingly has no Plan B.

watching today demonstrates what a great talented squad USA fields.  and how such minor aspects which you can put down to anything ultimately dictate your fortunes at this stage.  yeah they need better coaching to deliver more on their promise...but who knows, maybe they're getting that coaching and just missing each other a bit on the pitch?  that goal they scored was great, and all i could think was why don't they score 2 or 3 of those a game, quick and on full pace?  they have the skills...

2 hours ago, eramosat said:

watching today demonstrates what a great talented squad USA fields.  and how such minor aspects which you can put down to anything ultimately dictate your fortunes at this stage.  yeah they need better coaching to deliver more on their promise...but who knows, maybe they're getting that coaching and just missing each other a bit on the pitch?  that goal they scored was great, and all i could think was why don't they score 2 or 3 of those a game, quick and on full pace?  they have the skills...

Agreed. The goal was class..against some  proper footballers too.

On 11/21/2022 at 10:11 PM, eramosat said:

Pulisic did miss passing the ball to a wide open Weah in the second half that would’ve surely created a dangerous chance. Not a great game by him tbh. I think a lot of it comes down to Berhalter’s tactics though. His press often seems disoriented. Probably something that would work in MLS or lower levels but not on the international stage where most players are at least somewhat comfortable on the ball. Case in point- later in the second half, Zimmerman and Yedlin were just booting the ball out of bounds under any pressure instead of keeping possession. It’s why it’s so easy to counter the US. Break that press and our CBs are on an island. I honestly don’t know if Berhalter knows how to run an effective counter. He runs the team as if they were a club where it’s system over player, which isn’t going to get you far.

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I hope the newer fans we've brought on will shut the fuck up now on social media and stop embarrassing everyone now that we were humbled and eliminated and the USA have advanced to the RO16.

We aren't better than them. Period. We just have a better coach.

That assessment is based on what? One being drawn in Group B and the other F?

ok

20 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I hope the newer fans we've brought on will shut the fuck up now on social media and stop embarrassing everyone now that we were humbled and eliminated and the USA have advanced to the RO16.

We aren't better than them. Period. We just have a better coach.

I honestly think Berlhalter made better tactical decisions than Herdman did at the World Cup.

21 minutes ago, VinceA said:

They do. But it seems you're gonna refute anything I say so I won't bother anymore. Well done to them. Unfortunate we didn't take our chances against Belgium and were poorly set up and ultimately outclassed by Croatia.

It's not about refuting everything you say but I think our team deserve a bit more credit and I think results do matter

This tweet below does put things in perspective - I think my reservation towards the true measure of their strength as a whole is warranted

I think we're still the most improved team in the region and most dangerous.

Now as most US fans like to defer to when results don't count, then yes - depth and individual guys / who plays where is a whole different debate

20 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

Yes, they had an easier group.  But they tied England while we lost to Belgium, and England is likely a better team than Belgium.

England wasn't "England" against the US. The press weren't kind to the coach over there. I'm just saying, it isn't as black and white while they didn't have a Croatia in their group

17 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

I honestly think Berlhalter made better tactical decisions than Herdman did at the World Cup.

100% less naive and more pragmatic, the opposite of Herdman. I'm still grateful that he took us there and I trust he'll use this as a huge learning opportunity to do better next tournaments