USA National Team Watch

Macksam

• 2 weeks later...

Athletic panel on the culture war between Leeds & USMNT followers says views of US players have been inflated.

US expert Paul Tenorio: Right now, there’s this inflated sense of the growth of the USMNT, this pool of players which has so much potential. It’s created the idea that the potential is here as a reality, when, actually, it isn’t.

..In reality, the growth of the global market has changed. It’s not that Adams, McKennie or Aaronson are that much better than Clint Dempsey, Brian McBride. It’s just that teams found them and brought them over sooner....There’s definitely a disconnect in how these players are perceived outside of the US versus how they’re perceived among a very passionate faction of USMNT fans.

Leeds expert Phil Hay: This is as good as the US squad has ever been but if you’re being totally objective about it you’d say that, in the grand scheme of international football, it’s still a squad that falls into the middle bracket. That makes me wonder if some of the players are on a hiding to nothing, because none of them are necessarily world-class. They’re very good and talented footballers, but not in the absolute elite. 

https://theathletic.com/4566672/2023/06/06/leeds-soccer-united-states/

Edited by red card

• 2 weeks later...

I will say how easily the US dispatched us and Mexico, if Berhalter is as poor as the fans say he is, then that could help us.

I don't believe that at all though and the US fans are delusional fools most of the time. This man won them two trophies beating Mexico in both and they're convinced he's trash.

On 6/19/2023 at 8:49 AM, VinceA said:

I will say how easily the US dispatched us and Mexico, if Berhalter is as poor as the fans say he is, then that could help us.

I don't believe that at all though and the US fans are delusional fools most of the time. This man won them two trophies beating Mexico in both and they're convinced he's trash.

This isn’t your parents Mexico and this isn't your parents US. I mean heck if BJ can get the biggest US victory in an official game against Mexico in our history in his first ever game as a head coach at any level, then what does that say about Berhalter? 

Not to like go off on a rant but there’s a bunch other things outside of results that have made fans unhappy. We wait over a year after the 2018 WC debacle just to hire the brother of the CCO of USSF who had a rather average coaching resume. After 2022 we’re without a coach for 6 months just to rehire the same guy. We’re told it’s an extensive 6 month search but the guy that led it, Crocker, has had his position for less than 60 days. Just say you wanted to rehire him instead of playing fans for fools. And for some reason, even though he’s the head coach, he’s not going to coach the GC because he has ‘more important things to do’. He was slow to integrate guys like Robinson, Adams, LDLT and Weah. Always seemed to have his favorites. Sometimes not even guys that good fits for the system he wants to play. He’s tactically inflexible. With all this and the WC drama I was hoping USSF would be more ambitious. I mean USSF said regardless of results from now until the WC, he’ll be the head coach. At least bring in someone the fans could get behind. And I’m not under some delusion that Pep was walking through the door. On a positive note though, he’s been one hell of a recruiter. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 12:47 AM, narduch said:

Barcelona have terminated Dest's contract 

Just going through the thread now- Dest is actually still a Barça player and on loan at PSV, though I think we're still paying part of his salary.

We're not making clearly rational squad decisions, it's mostly rearranging numbers to meet financial fair play. I don't enjoy watching the team at all. So I wouldn't overstate the "Dest Barça reject" line.

On 9/9/2023 at 6:11 PM, VinceA said:

The nice thing about Gregggggggggg being back is no matter how talented the US are, we'll have a chance against them because they always look just ok.

US definitely looked just meh vs Uzbekistan Saturday...two really nice goals and then about 85 minutes between of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

They should have a fairly easy time w/Oman tonight but they'll get two quality tests next month with Germany and Ghana

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Both Cade Cowel and Brandon Vazquez are headed to Liga MX, after their clubs rejected offers from Europe- Greece for Cowel and several for Vazquez including I believe Brentford. I know a few USMNT fans lurk this board, how do you feel about this? The usual suspects on twitter are pretty bummed about it, and I feel like we’d be pretty disappointed if we had young guys ditching Europe for Mexico or I guess in our case, MLS. 

• 2 months later...