USA National Team Watch

Macksam

I am probably wrong but I would take ex-players in positions of power in the CSA over current leadership.

Granted I think USSF leadership is structured differently to the CSA.

Probably just the fanboy in me but De Ro and Bernier in high level positions in the CSA would be nicer than Dick Bonkers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A rare honest assessment of USMNT player pool from a mainstream journalist - though it is part of a thread in support of Berhalter.

Matt Doyle:

"One other point I should make: the player pool isn’t *that* good.

- MMA & Aaronson are all on relegation-bound teams- our best 9 has spent most of his career as a low-usage winger

- our two most talented players are frequently injured subs- starting rw plays LB for his club

- left side of our defense is composed of guys who’ve spent most of their careers in the 2nd tier

- RCBs are good defensively but limited with the ball

- RB is wonderful w/ the ball but a catastrophic defender who’s been benched for that reason by every coach he’s ever played for"

Balogun apparently leaning towards US instead of England now. That would be bad for two reasons:

1. We can't laugh about them not having a striker anymore.

2. It ever so slightly opens the door more for Jebbison to be on England's radar.

On 3/17/2023 at 9:35 PM, red card said:

A rare honest assessment of USMNT player pool from a mainstream journalist - though it is part of a thread in support of Berhalter.

Matt Doyle:

"One other point I should make: the player pool isn’t *that* good.

- MMA & Aaronson are all on relegation-bound teams- our best 9 has spent most of his career as a low-usage winger

- our two most talented players are frequently injured subs- starting rw plays LB for his club

- left side of our defense is composed of guys who’ve spent most of their careers in the 2nd tier

- RCBs are good defensively but limited with the ball

- RB is wonderful w/ the ball but a catastrophic defender who’s been benched for that reason by every coach he’s ever played for"

Americans for some reason don’t rate the MLS at all, They hate on Zimmerman and when I watch him he looks like their 2nd best CB imo.

On 3/24/2023 at 5:04 PM, frmr said:

Balogun apparently leaning towards US instead of England now. That would be bad for two reasons:

1. We can't laugh about them not having a striker anymore.

2. It ever so slightly opens the door more for Jebbison to be on England's radar.

Balogun apparently met with Anthony Hudson and US Soccer officials, trained near the USMNT camp, did a PR stunt with the New York Yankees (he was born in New York) and pictured with a US Soccer staff, and then deleted all pics of him with England from his Instagram.

Southgate responded to the media by name-dropping Kane, Toney, Watkins, and Nketiah ahead of Balogun because they play in the Premier League. So a repeat of Tomori's situation in their pool. If Balogun was doing all this to pressure England it certainly isn't working. Nigeria is not a great option for him either because Osimhen is a lot younger than Kane.

Seems likely he will ready the paperwork to switch to the US soon, to walk into their lineup for years to come.

Edited by Canadian Chuck

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, pod818 said:

ugh..hope this make Jebbison think things over more quickly

Jebbison is two years younger and has done like .05 of what Balogun has up to this point.

Don't see the hype for him right now he's been very poor in the Championship this season.

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

Jebbison is two years younger and has done like .05 of what Balogun has up to this point.

Don't see the hype for him right now he's been very poor in the Championship this season.

which is exactly why he should play for Canada. If Balogun doesn't see himself making the England striker list..then Jebbison is much further down the pecking order. I understand he hasn't done has much yet, but he is an intriguing prospect. I would choose him ahead of Ugbo and Cavalinni

If Balogun didn’t see the future with England, then Jebbison is even father away, age be damned. 

3 minutes ago, pod818 said:

which is exactly why he should play for Canada. If Balogun doesn't see himself making the England striker list..then Jebbison is much further down the pecking order. I understand he hasn't done has much yet, but he is an intriguing prospect. I would choose him ahead of Ugbo and Cavalinni

Really? I like DJ because the dual national thing, but if you remove that from the equation, not sure what more he can give us that Ugbo and Cava can’t. 

55 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

If Balogun didn’t see the future with England, then Jebbison is even father away, age be damned. 

Really? I like DJ because the dual national thing, but if you remove that from the equation, not sure what more he can give us that Ugbo and Cava can’t. 

Interesting discussion

Ahead you probably have currently at least (from the top of my head)

Kane

Ivan Toney

Wilson (age, injuries so not long term)

Calvert-Lewin (injuries)

Ollie Watkins

Tammy Abraham (might have come back to England)

Rashford and maybe Saka (if you play them there)

Balogun and Cameron Archer have been the strikers in the u21s the last year and a bit.  Rhian Brewster had one appearance before he was injured. He was directly ahead of Jebbison and the injury is one of the reasons the latter was not on loan. Not a glut in there but they play with one and bunch of hybrid wingers a bit like the senior team.

The others ones going to the u20 World Cup:

Delap is ahead I would say. And probably Scarlett, neither have lit up the lower leagues but have played a lot more regularly. (And are owned by Premier League clubs)

Jebbison probably ahead Mateo Joseph who I don't think has played much senior ball.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Interesting discussion

Ahead you probably have currently at least (from the top of my head)

Kane

Ivan Toney

Wilson (age, injuries so not long term)

Calvert-Lewin (injuries)

Ollie Watkins

Tammy Abraham (might have come back to England)

Rashford and maybe Saka (if you play them there)

Balogun and Cameron Archer have been the strikers in the u21s the last year and a bit.  Rhian Brewster had one appearance before he was injured. He was directly ahead of Jebbison and the injury is one of the reasons the latter was not on loan. Not a glut in there but they play with one and bunch of hybrid wingers a bit like the senior team.

The others ones going to the u20 World Cup:

Delap is ahead I would say. And probably Scarlett, neither have lit up the lower leagues but have played a lot more regularly. (And are owned by Premier League clubs)

Jebbison probably ahead Mateo Joseph who I don't think has played much senior ball.

And none of those are as good as league and cup wining Divin Mubama although I may be a bit biased.