Mo Farsi

Reign

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I like your optimism but I just don't see it in this case. I would love to be wrong, but I think he's going to accept the first Algeria call he gets. More than him refusing Algeria, we should probably put our hope in Algeria not being interested in him.

When I went to their most recent squad list this morning I think I saw a young defender Farsi's age who was listed. No caps but may speak to the type of player Algeria is willing to bring in. Yes it's far easier to bring a young promising player from your domestic league, versus a young player from MLS, but MLS isn't the backwater it was 10-15 years ago either. He's really excelling this year on a pretty good Columbus side.

I would be surprised if Algeria are rushing to recruit him, but surely they are keeping tabs if they have any decent level of scouting (which I am sure they do). I can see them bringing him in if and when it's convenient for them vs bending themselves backwards over Farsi - and I don't know enough about Algeria to guess with confidence when that would be.  

I think youre probably right. But thats why I said it was my hope! If I was the kid, I wouldnt commit to any international soccer for a year or 2. It seems like europe has been discussed so I would wait to see how I do in europe before committing to anything else. 

On 5/29/2023 at 2:51 PM, jordan said:

looking at the depth in front of him he plays at a higher level than all but two of them, and one of the two could get relegated.

Leris could move on from Sapdoria though and not go to Serie B and same with Akim and Auxerre.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

looking at the depth in front of him he plays at a higher level than all but two of them, and one of the two could get relegated.

Leris could move on from Sapdoria though and not go to Serie B and same with Akim and Auxerre.

This dude will commit to Algeria, hopefully I'm wrong, but that's the vibe I'm getting.

Just now, SoCalTransport said:

This dude will commit to Algeria, hopefully I'm wrong, but that's the vibe I'm getting.

I do wonder how the coach feels about MLS. For some reason a lot of African coaches don't rate MLS at all and don't bother calling players from the league. That has changed a bit in recent times but that's usually an established NT guy going to MLS, rather than stellar MLS play getting the guy a call-up.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Yes but it seems Atal plays at a higher level and has like 30 caps only, and also he likely wasn’t considered in their latest squad 

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

I do wonder how the coach feels about MLS. For some reason a lot of African coaches don't rate MLS at all and don't bother calling players from the league. That has changed a bit in recent times but that's usually an established NT guy going to MLS, rather than stellar MLS play getting the guy a call-up.

Do you remember Bright Dike, he used to always get called up by Nigeria, which I always found puzzling.

Just now, VinceA said:

I'd like to think MLS hinders Farsi as well with respect to an Algerian call. 

3 hours ago, VinceA said:

I just realized, but he's provisionally cap-tied to us, right? At least he should be for playing for us at the Olympic qualifiers.

I am very curious about this too. It sounds like you are correct. I think he jumps off the fence he's sitting on the moment Algeria decide to call him in. If he stalls out in MLS I think he circles back to us, but if it plays out that way he's probably not getting any meaningful Canada time. Look at Gutierrez, declared for Canada and hasn't played. 

2 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

Do you remember Bright Dike, he used to always get called up by Nigeria, which I always found puzzling.

Bright Dike was an odd call. I always remember him sticking out like a sore thumb when the other strikers called were playing in Top 4 leagues. How that went down though, if I remember correctly, was that Nigeria had a friendly in the USA (against Venezuela or maybe Mexico, cannot recall who), but he was called and it felt like a convenience call because of where the game was being played (Dike is American). Anyways, I think he scored or at least did very, very well, and that naturally led to more calls. He wasn't a mainstay though, I think he only had 3 caps in the end. 

To support the argument African teams don't call MLS guys much, look at Sanusi with Montreal. Has 3 caps for Nigeria, all of which came when he was playing in the Nigerian Premier League, but now he's in MLS and doing decently well, yet he is not getting called. In theory he should be getting more calls, not less, since MLS is much better than the NPL, but that's not how it's playing out. 

I think when it comes to African teams (generalizing here), you get your call in one of two ways: 

• You make a domestic selection
  • You make a euro selection

Since MLS is abroad, those Africans are competing against European-based players, who will always be favoured because the level is (generally) higher. Teams like Algeria or Nigeria are mostly calling guys from Top 5 leagues, or the top teams in smaller leagues (Porto, Ajax, etc.) And in general, if you're in MLS you're not going to shine ahead of those guys. I would argue that even guys in Ligue 2 or Serie B have a slight edge over MLS guys, just because those 2nd division guys are rounding out the rosters and so in essence there isn't much point to fly a guy all the way across the Atlantic for spot 19-23 on the roster, when you can call the guy at Bastia or Bari who already knows the squad. 

That's my theory anyways. 

49 minutes ago, solsous said:

This may not be the appropriate thread, but what do folks think about FIFA revising their rules about dual nationals?  It feels like every professional player has a choice of representing more than country.

I think it needs to be tightened up and simplified. No stong thoughts about how they do it, but whatever they choose they should try and stick to it. The rules seem to be ever-changing and incresingly convoluted. 

5 hours ago, solsous said:

This may not be the appropriate thread, but what do folks think about FIFA revising their rules about dual nationals?  It feels like every professional player has a choice of representing more than country.

Interesting because there’s the part of me that think some rules are stupid and should be tightened, but then there’s the part of me that wants Tomori so it’s a bit of a contradiction. I guess my hope would be that they change the rules about eligibility like you have to be born there or live 5+ years there but they change the nationality changing rules like a situation like Tomori.

I don’t buy the argument that Farsi playing for Algeria in AFC  is better for his career.  There's plenty of eyes on MLS now and players that have transferred to Europe including several of our own Canadians. Don't think it hurt Tajon, AJ, Larin and Kone to name just a few. It all comes down to his performance with his club.

• 2 months later...
Just now, Kadenge said:

Appears that Ait Nouri who plays fullback at Wolves and has been a France youth player switched to Algeria. He is only 22 and has been at Wolves for several seasons including when Theo was on their bench.  This would bump Farsi down the depth chart if he is thinking about playing for them.

He looked really dangerous against United today, really good player.

35 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Gressel also seems to have taken over his spot 

I noticed that. 

To play devil's advocate, Farsi could be headed to Europe and Gressel is perhaps cover. But we haven't heard any concrete transfer rumours and you'd think Columbus would be showing him off to make a potential sale. Or, perhaps it's simply that Gressel won the spot on merit and Farsi intends to head to Europe once his contract runs down. Wouldn't surprise me for a guy who turned down a Gold Cup call with Algeria aspirations. 

Anyways, many ways to interpret Gressel being ahead of him. 

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

I noticed that. 

To play devil's advocate, Farsi could be headed to Europe and Gressel is perhaps cover. But we haven't heard any concrete transfer rumours and you'd think Columbus would be showing him off to make a potential sale. Or, perhaps it's simply that Gressel won the spot on merit and Farsi intends to head to Europe once his contract runs down. Wouldn't surprise me for a guy who turned down a Gold Cup call with Algeria aspirations. 

Anyways, many ways to interpret Gressel being ahead of him. 

Hasn’t it only been one game that Farsi started on the bench behind Gressel. He has the third most minutes of anyone on the team this season 

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Hasn’t it only been one game that Farsi started on the bench behind Gressel. He has the third most minutes of anyone on the team this season 

I felt like it was more, but you could be right. I recall at least 1 game. 

If he’s out of the lineup, Montreal sure could use him- not sold on Hererra tbh. If he wants to go to Europe, that’s a good pathway for him. Doubt Montreal pays to acquire a young established MLS guy, but he’d be a solid fit. I’m sure playing at home might help him to look towards our national team too, but he’d be a good fit here. That said, it’s only been one game.