Omar Marmoush

VinceA

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

There is no proof that he is Canadian. I haven't heard him or anybody from his inner circle (agent, family close friends etc..) state this. His Canadian-ness came out of nowhere.

I'm waiting for proof!

The Egyptian national team coach, Hossam El Badry, knows he exists and is watching him. (El Badry used to be the Egypt U23 coach)

https://www.kingfut.com/2020/05/30/egypt-monitor-omar-marmoush-debut/

Funnily enough, Hossam El Badry was my first choice to replace OZ (after he got the sack and before Herdman was chosen). Although he is based in Egypt, his family is based in Canada and he seems to come here at least semi-regularly:

https://sport.elwatannews.com/ar/1/1/686129/خاص-سر-اعتذار-حسام-البدري-عن-عدم-حضور-مباراة-السوبر-بالإمارات

https://www.youm7.com/story/2017/10/25/إصابة-خطيرة-لـ-ابنة-حسام-البدرى-فى-حادث-مترو-بكندا/3480948

The man was just chilling in Canada when Al-Ahly offered him the coaching job (either the second time or the third time):

https://www.shorouknews.com/news/view.aspx?cdate=06072020&id=0893f800-2e23-44d4-ae6f-5b616d4c50bd

Family is from Ottawa. Brother graduated from Carleton, works in Germany now.

Commentator who doesn’t visit this site said he was Canadian twice

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Yes. Done and dusted. Cap tied in injury time of England’s Euro qualifier. 

Southgate didn’t need to do the kid like that. I can’t see him playing for England anytime soon.

Wouldn't he have been cap tied the moment he signed his papers to switch from Canada to England?

Egypt following him closely, of course:

We’re following Haissem Hassan as well as Omar Marmoush but that doesn’t mean that we’ll call them up, that’s something you have to understand in general,” he told Sada El-Balad TV channel.

“We follow a player because it’s our job and we have to give them a chance.

“We want to finish on top of our groups in the AFCON and World Cup qualifiers because it’s normal for the Egyptian national team.

GettyImages-1185245474-680x395.jpg Photo: Martin Rose – FIFA/FIFA via Getty Images

“We want to win all of our games, even the friendlies, so that we have a better ranking when we reach the final stages of the World Cup qualifiers.

“We’re currently ranked fifth in Africa, which means we’ll face a team in the top five but we want to improve our ranking. But either way, we won’t take any game for granted,” he concluded.

The 2021 AFCON was initially set to take place next January, however, CAF announced on Tuesday that there will be a change of plans.

CAF’s executive committee decided to postpone the tournament because of the insufficient time to hold qualifiers for the 2021 AFCON to be played next January.

Egypt are currently third in Group G of the 2021 AFCON qualifiers with two points after two draws with four games left to play in their group that includes Comoros, Kenya, and Togo.

https://www.kingfut.com/2020/07/01/barakat-hassan-marmoush/

43 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Wouldn't he have been cap tied the moment he signed his papers to switch from Canada to England?

I think he only played friendlies for Canada, so he didn’t need to file any papers to switch to England. So he could have filed to switch to Canada until he played for the England national team

7 hours ago, top cheese said:

I dunno Lampard seems to be High on him and England isn’t blessed with a lot of Cb prospects at the moment. 

I'm not sure how high Lampard is on Tomori at this point.  I don't think he has started a game since the pandemic break, and has been regularly left out of the 18.  Maybe he's hurt or carrying a knock? 

5 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I'm not sure how high Lampard is on Tomori at this point.  I don't think he has started a game since the pandemic break, and has been regularly left out of the 18.  Maybe he's hurt or carrying a knock? 

He is hurt. 

8 hours ago, nolando said:

Egypt following him closely, of course:

We’re following Haissem Hassan as well as Omar Marmoush but that doesn’t mean that we’ll call them up, that’s something you have to understand in general,” he told Sada El-Balad TV channel.

“We follow a player because it’s our job and we have to give them a chance.

“We want to finish on top of our groups in the AFCON and World Cup qualifiers because it’s normal for the Egyptian national team.

GettyImages-1185245474-680x395.jpg Photo: Martin Rose – FIFA/FIFA via Getty Images

“We want to win all of our games, even the friendlies, so that we have a better ranking when we reach the final stages of the World Cup qualifiers.

“We’re currently ranked fifth in Africa, which means we’ll face a team in the top five but we want to improve our ranking. But either way, we won’t take any game for granted,” he concluded.

The 2021 AFCON was initially set to take place next January, however, CAF announced on Tuesday that there will be a change of plans.

CAF’s executive committee decided to postpone the tournament because of the insufficient time to hold qualifiers for the 2021 AFCON to be played next January.

Egypt are currently third in Group G of the 2021 AFCON qualifiers with two points after two draws with four games left to play in their group that includes Comoros, Kenya, and Togo.

https://www.kingfut.com/2020/07/01/barakat-hassan-marmoush/

Doesn't sound promising for us, but this is what I expected. He's played for their youth teams and is being closely monitored by their senior team. 

The silver lining here is that Egypt seem to have been under preforming. They need maximum points and they can't be tinkering around, so unless Marmoush somehow forces his way into Wolfsburg's starting line up and starts lighting it up, we might have some time. In truth, he probably needs to patiently wait just a little longer for his chance. 

I know Herdman is a brilliant salesman, but since we are still dealing with a pandemic of corona virus I very much doubt he commits to Canada during this time. It just doesn't seem realistic to me and I would be shocked if it happened (in a good way). I just can't imagine him wanting to deal with the headache of travelling back and forth to North America at a time like this.

Edited by Obinna

34 minutes ago, Shway said:

You would think that if you are playing in Europe you would be an automatic call up for Egypt... but nope that’s not the case. Majority of their squad is from Al Ahly or play’s in Egypt league.

Yeah they have a pretty strong domestic contingent. They are kind of like Mexico in that regard. Of course, just because you are a Mexican in Europe doesn't mean you are an automatic call up. Look at Diego Lainez. 

Perhaps the same applies with Egypt and Marmoush. He won't become an Egyptian regular just for having a cup of coffee with Wolsburg. He will need to actually do something important with his club. However, that doesn't mean they won't call him in and cap tie him in the process. 

Edited by Obinna

16 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Might depend how many games we have before Egypt do. If we have the ability to try calling him up first we might have a chance. 

In his position if, as is likely, Egypt is his first choice. Why jump now?

Exactly. 

The most optimistic odds I would give us right now are 25%, but throw in the pandemic and I am downgrading us to 5%.

I would say 0-1%, but Herdman could probably sell water to a fish. 

Edited by Obinna

7 hours ago, toontownman said:

In his position if, as is likely, Egypt is his first choice. Why jump now?

Don't forget that Marmoush will be part of the Egyptian Olympic team too, so there's no way in hell he's going to switch until at least after next summer. And then he'd likely be willing to bide his time for years for an Egypt call-up, if need be.

Edited by Zem

14 hours ago, One American said:

Looking at the Egypt National Team ... it's very domestic. A few Euro players, but not many. Don't think it would be hard for an esstablished BL player to rise very quickly. 

This is tongue-in-cheek, but what I've seen in years of following African soccer, Egypt picks their national team in this order:

1) You play for Al-Ahly, who's won something like 80% of all Egypt's league titles, and a few African Champion's Leagues to boot

2) You are a starter in a top 5 league in Europe

3)You are a starter on a big European team, like Porto or RB Salzburg

4) you play in Egypt and Al-Ahly is looking at you

5) Everyone else.

Unless Marmoush goes to a bigger club and starts, or Egypt's national team suddenly collapses for a cycle, I don't see them calling him up any time soon.

2 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

This is tongue-in-cheek, but what I've seen in years of following African soccer, Egypt picks their national team in this order:

1) You play for Al-Ahly, who's won something like 80% of all Egypt's league titles, and a few African Champion's Leagues to boot

5) Everyone else.

Unless Marmoush goes to a bigger club and starts, or Egypt's national team suddenly collapses for a cycle, I don't see them calling him up any time soon.

That's pretty true. Throw in a handful of Zamalek players when the club is doing well.

The other thing is, in this football-mad nation of 100 million, the demographics of the country, (like Nigeria as another example) tilt very young. There is a deep pool of talent. He could find himself eclipsed by some younger players in 2 or 3 years.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

5) Everyone else.

He is getting close to being a starter in top 5 league...